9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:23:33 AM EDT
Anyone hear this.I just heard on Fox, I thought:

"There is no civil rights...."

Damn
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:24:43 AM EDT
That's what they said.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:26:46 AM EDT
So does that mean we can shoot looters now?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:28:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HarrySacz:
So does that mean we can shoot looters now?

I think it means you cant even "bear" your guns. I dunno much about martial law
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:30:12 AM EDT

Jefferson Parish under Martial Law. No one being allowed into New Orleans.

From www.wwltv.com/

They have gone off the air because the French Quarter is now flooding.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:32:40 AM EDT
I think it means that what the 'martial' says is law. Lots of rights go out the window.

That would be time to leave I think.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:33:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:34:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shotar:
It means several things. First, that the military commander on scene is now the highest legal authority. Second, it means that he has pretty much absolute power and can only be overriden by the Governor, or President or other higher officers in his chain of command. Does it mean looters can be shot on sight? Well, that is up to said commander, but he will have to answer for his actions after the fact. As for me, I think I would confine my bearing of arms to my own property until the emergency is over.

That about sums it up from what I've searched on google.

Also, a curfew is imposed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:38:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:17:27 AM EDT
is anyone here close to new orleans? usually when things like this happen the media don't cover certain events going on.

Any first hand witnesses close?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:23:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:27:50 AM EDT
The Army will lord over the new lake New Orleans.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:28:03 AM EDT
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

"Marshall Law" was an Australian TV sit-com - the fact that it's been declared in NO means one thing and one thing only:

Hilarity shall ensue.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:29:21 AM EDT
Now there is talk about a mass evacuation. The water is rising, and they are not sure why.

That is what Shep Smith said on Fox. Obviosly the levee breaches are not helping.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:30:19 AM EDT
everyone knew this would happen eventually more then 50 years ago. Why is this big news now?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:30:31 AM EDT
Looting has been going on. Breaking in stores and homes. The upstanding citizens doing this need to be shot on sight.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:31:50 AM EDT

It means several things. First, that the military commander on scene is now the highest legal authority. Second, it means that he has pretty much absolute power and can only be overriden by the Governor, or President or other higher officers in his chain of command. Does it mean looters can be shot on sight? Well, that is up to said commander, but he will have to answer for his actions after the fact. As for me, I think I would confine my bearing of arms to my own property until the emergency is over.

Really, you wouldn't think it just became more dangerous to be out and about after such an event. Being knocked off cause I have fuel, transportation, food, money, good clothes, etc would seem to be a real concern outside your own property.

Me, I think martial law means it's time to pull up stakes for a while and find a place to stay outside the disaster zone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:37:46 AM EDT
this thread has been going on for about an hour..

it involves martial law ..

and we have less then a handfull of posts on it? im confused..

dont know what should be posted but it just seems "wierd" to me ..

martail law and it seems ignored ..

that is all .

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:39:29 AM EDT
the republicans did not allow enough $ to the walls- its bushes fault
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:40:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:41:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cleatus:

Didn't you hear? There aren't enough NG because they are serving in Iraq. IT IS BUSH'S FAULT!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:42:16 AM EDT
What is the live feed link?

Thanks ---
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:43:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Grunteled:

Really, you wouldn't think it just became more dangerous to be out and about after such an event. Being knocked off cause I have fuel, transportation, food, money, good clothes, etc would seem to be a real concern outside your own property.

Me, I think martial law means it's time to pull up stakes for a while and find a place to stay outside the disaster zone.

Bingo!

There is a reason that they ordered an evacuation. Everyone in the disaster zone that is not actively participating in relief efforts in an organized fashion represents someone in need of services. If you have the means to do so, you should evac so those services go to those who cannot.

Agreed!

I do feel for those that can't / couldn't get out. I doubt they had many legal arms to bear though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:44:58 AM EDT
Cool. This should be interesting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:48:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:51:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shootemup:
Now there is talk about a mass evacuation. The water is rising, and they are not sure why.

That is what Shep Smith said on Fox. Obviosly the levee breaches are not helping.

I have a theory, but it's too silly to mention.

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Cool. This should be interesting.

Understatement.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:55:23 AM EDT

And New Orleans is only the first area to be put under martial law. Katrina has given the Boy Emperor the excuse he needs to overthrow our democracy in the name of "emergency".
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:57:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:

And New Orleans is only the first area to be put under martial law. Katrina has given the Boy Emperor the excuse he needs to overthrow our democracy in the name of "emergency".

or
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:59:43 AM EDT
How can you declare Martial Law when the Louisanna National Guard is patrolling Fallujah?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:01:29 AM EDT
Many parishes are now under 24 hour curfew.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:12:25 AM EDT
Jorge should pull all the Border Patrol agents into NO to help. We will need many more IWETUSWOPs (Individuals What Entered The U S Without Papers) to take those reconstruction jobs US citizens won't take.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:15:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SS109:
How can you declare Martial Law when the Louisanna National Guard is patrolling Fallujah?

Thats why I have said for years that we need a non-military, govt supported force to deal with things just like this. Give people Bennies like serving in the NG, IE Education bennies, ect but without the possiblity of having to be deployed to a war zone. Same 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks summer camp idea, under the control of the State Gov, but able to be Federalized to respond to regional events.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:16:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By callgood:
Jorge should pull all the Border Patrol agents into NO to help. We will need many more IWETUSWOPs (Individuals What Entered The U S Without Papers) to take those reconstruction jobs US citizens won't take.

I bet you think you're really witty spelling George with a J as in the spanish spelling huh?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:22:59 AM EDT
oh hell no!

I just saw a report of looters.. damn just damn..

bastards are using shoping carts to haul stuff away..

they need to show one getting shot and loop it all day..

to those members that stayed.. stay safe..

OK M. law has been declared ... now what .. what happens next?

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:30:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:40:53 AM EDT
[alex jones] FEMA is about to concentrate and re-educate the people of Lousiana. The globalist New World Orderers are taking over. [\alex jones]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:44:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:50:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jrzy:

I bet you think you're really witty spelling George with a J as in the spanish spelling huh?

I thought he was mexican.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:50:47 AM EDT
I was under the impression that marshal law meant "do what you have to do...the ordinary persons responsible for upholding law are in dispose at the moment" or "shoot any MF that threatens you or your family's well-being".

They should videotape the looters...and publicly cane them after all of this is over. Sorry bastards.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:54:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 9:19:40 AM EDT by FLAL1A]
Florida (like most states) still has an unorganized militia, subject to call by the Governor. Responding for any purpose, including disaster relief, is a legal obligation.

As for "martial law," I don't know La. law, but Florida has a statutory scheme that amounts to "reading the riot act" and declaring a "state of emergency" (it seems to contemplate local action) followed by no-holds-barred gunplay without liability for the folks appointed to put down the riot or suppress the looting. "Martial law" may be La.'s version of the same thing.

Here's Florida's emergency/shoot-to-kill law.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:00:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By alaman:
Looting has been going on. Breaking in stores and homes. The upstanding citizens doing this need to be shot on sight.

and put on display......... as a deterrant.......

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:14:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 9:17:37 AM EDT by Dawg180]
Whew, I was worried that without SgtAR15 we would goa whole day without someone screaming "The sky is falling! The ____ is taking over and there are no more civil rights!"

But thankfully I have nothing to be worried about....

Get a grip folks, New Orleans (and a damn good chunk of the Gulf Coast) just had 85% of its population leave in a week, 98% of its structures damaged, and suffered billions upon billions of dollars of damage. There are still people in need of help, the carrion of society is coming out of the woodwork, and I suspect what little civil authority is left is massively overwhelmed with the scale of the problem and the military is TEMPORARILY taking over under things can be handled.

[ETA] Like mentioned before, the commander of the troops will be responsible for what goes on. Somehow I don't think that orders "shoot to kill looters" or the likes are going to play well on national TV or with HIS boss, George W. However, I imagine the urge to loot is going to be conisderably suppressed when you have guys armed with M16's and a Humvee on the street corner.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:19:07 AM EDT
Fire a few shots over their heads and the looters will disperse.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:20:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Fire a few shots over into their heads and the looters will disperse.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:21:40 AM EDT
The tin-foil hatters need to get a clue here.

It's a bunch of destitute, inner city, leeches of society who constitute the majority of the subjects currently under the martial law restrictions.

Who cares.

Let them become subjects. Put them into mandatory work camps to rebuild the city. Probably the first time half of them would ever have to work in their menial lives anyway.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:32:01 AM EDT
FNC just said martial law has not been delcared.

Damn it.

I wanted to see what would happen.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:32:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 9:35:04 AM EDT by Da_Bunny]
It seems like an appropriate use of Martial law to me. Looters will just be part of the problem. It will be easy to settle old scores, or make a quick life insurance buck, under these circumstances. Hold their head underwater and claim GOD did it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:32:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 9:33:17 AM EDT by yugosksfan]
Fox News just said that they made a mistake, and martial law is not in effect in NO.

ETA: Beat to the punch...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:42:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Grunteled:

Didn't you hear? There aren't enough NG because they are serving in Iraq. IT IS BUSH'S FAULT!!!!!!!

I'll bet for 75$ a day they could hire some competent Texans to patrol NO and bring law and order to NO.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:45:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By yugosksfan:
Fox News just said that they made a mistake, and martial law is not in effect in NO.

ETA: Beat to the punch...

Well they had better get the story straight because the home page of NOLA.com (Times-Picayune) says that martial law is in effect.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:58:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fourays2:

Originally Posted By jrzy:

I thought he was mexican.

Who "callgood" or GW
Top Top