Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/3/2014 6:07:10 PM EDT
I don't but have friends that have seperate checking accounts that they keep secret from their wives.  Seems pretty shitty to me.  What say you?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I would want a separate account just for my hobby money, it wouldn't be a secret though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a secret cash stash. My wife knows about it but does not want to know where it is. It contains cash, gold and silver for emergencies.

eta: and i have a separate account for fun money
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Of course not, Ms. Spy...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If I sell something hobby related I usually keep the cash for myself...it's not a secret though, I suppose sometimes I don't tell her. Other than that we have a joint account. I'm sure she keeps a little stash of cash for hobby related things too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]
That's stupid.

He has his own spending money and can buy his own toys. I would never want him to feel like he had to hide things from me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I sell something hobby related I usually keep the cash for myself...it's not a secret though, I suppose sometimes I don't tell her. Other than that we have a joint account. I'm sure she keeps a little stash of cash for hobby related things too.
View Quote

This is exactly how I do it.  It's a double-edged sword of sorts though.  My wife has no idea what my guns are worth but knows the value of some of my other toys.  I'm sure she wonders if I'm skimming the account sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I would want have a separate account just for my hobby money, it wouldn't be isn't a secret though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
ill throw some leftover 5$ in a drawer from time to time, no separate account or anything.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
No secret in this family. I break it down like this. It's my fun money or gift money or what ever and it comes straight out of my check. She don't have to worry about accounting for it and it's easier if I want to buy something for her. I don't have to tell her shit about what I do with it.

She is free to have her own as well but she doesn't want to.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]
And old guy I worked with told me to start putting money to the side like that right before my first marriage. I did not listen. Twice now I wish I had.

He also told me to put a pair of pants and a dress at the foot of the bed the morning after the wedding and asked the new bride which one she wanted to wear. Said I could not do anything about which one she chose but at least I would now where I stood in the marriage.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#12]
my wife and i have sperate accounts, her money is hers, mine is mine.  no issues
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#13]
No.  The wife knows that I liked guns, cigars, and whiskey before I met her, and they aren't going away.  So as long as I don't get totally crazy there's no need to hide it.  She's never said no to a gun I wanted.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I have my own account for hunting expenses. My wife knows about it and is okay with it.

I put the largest part of my overtime money in there as well as money from selling a week or two of vacation each year.

I did it in reaction to her being mad for me getting money out of the household budget for hunting.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]
No  
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Many of the married men I work with are kept on an extremely tight budget by their wives. They buy a six pack of beer and their wife bitches. I'd have a secret cash stash if I were in that position. Of course I'd be divorced if I were in that position, but a secret cash stash works too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Not intentionally.

My wife and I have separate sources of income, so we have separate checking and savings account, with a single "operative" shared account that we both have access to, and generally remains empty as it's only used to pay expenses we split.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#19]
No need.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#20]
No, not a seperate account but I do keep my gun/car acc. $$(wheeling & dealing) stashed at home.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#21]
If I did it wouldn't be a secret now would it ?

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#22]
No. We don't keep secrets from each other. If you can't trust your significant other, why be with her?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#23]
NO
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#24]
No, and I try to keep my wife updated on the cash in our business and personal accounts, and any cash that may be sitting around. Also make sure she's aware of the accrued liabilities so she doesn't think there is an extra pile of fun money.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I pay the bills and maintain the money. She has no access to, or knowledge of any of it. It works well for us.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Not married but in a relationship coming up on 4 years. We don't hide money from each other. We maintain a joint checking and savings account. We each put in enough to cover bills and some in savings. The rest goes to debt
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#27]
No secret cash stash.  My wife is pretty responsible about money and I trust her.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a sell guns/ buy guns/emergency cash/spontaneous vacation fund. The fund is very low after school starting, summer vacation, etc. Wife knows I usually have cash somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's stupid.

He has his own spending money and can buy his own toys. I would never want him to feel like he had to hide things from me.
View Quote

Smart woman here. Not sure why, but everyone I work with that maintains separate accounts has marital issues. So, is the separate accounts a result of their poor marriage or is the separation of money part of their problem?

In seeing how money can be a major role in marital problems, why does separating make sense?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not married but in a relationship coming up on 4 years. We don't hide money from each other. We maintain a joint checking and savings account. We each put in enough to cover bills and some in savings. The rest goes to debt https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif
View Quote

Bad idea. If she decided to split, she could empty the account and you'd probably be SOL.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#31]
as long as i am contributing my half to everything, i can do whatever i want with the leftovers, so no secret stashes for me
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
my wife and i have sperate accounts, her money is hers, mine is mine.  no issues
View Quote

This,

but, we don't have separate bills (for the most part). We just divvy up those fair & square.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#33]
1 income, joint accounts. Room for lies is room for divorce, work better as a team. If I get side work or over time we decide on what goes to pay off things, savings or fun money. If I'm going to take money out of the budget to buy a big ticket item (night force, night vision etc) its something we talk about. I sell and trade from my firearm collection and hobby money stays hobby money in lieu of emergencies.

ETA: married with kid #3 on the way. I knew I wanted a family, that I preferred to find someone who wanted to be a stay at home mom and do home schooling. I knew what I was getting into. I make enough that if I was single I could have a lot of cool toys. I also knew I wanted to have kids.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#34]
no need to have a secret stash.  she knows i'm buying parts, components, ect.  If she wants something she can buy it too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Not married but would just like to remind you all that we have rules here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#36]
If you're having to hide money from your wife you've got bigger problems than you think
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Smart woman here. Not sure why, but everyone I work with that maintains separate accounts has marital issues. So, is the separate accounts a result of their poor marriage or is the separation of money part of their problem?

In seeing how money can be a major role in marital problems, why does separating make sense?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's stupid.

My wife and I deposit all the money required to pay bills on pay day. Bills get paid, and she can choose to buy makeup and climbing stuff and Birchboxes and Women's Health and shoes and whateverthefuckshewants.

I can choose to buy everything that pops up on Steam sales, gun parts, car parts, beer, etc.

The result is we rarely, if ever, fight about money. We've entirely eliminated that point of potential contention from our lives.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Bad idea. If she decided to split, she could empty the account and you'd probably be SOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not married but in a relationship coming up on 4 years. We don't hide money from each other. We maintain a joint checking and savings account. We each put in enough to cover bills and some in savings. The rest goes to debt https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

Not really.. There's just enough in joint to cover bills. Even less in savings

We keep blowing savings on something, such as buying new floors for the house a couple of weeks ago.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's stupid.

That seems like a "Chicken or the Egg" scenario.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have no idea what she makes until I have the taxes done.
View Quote

That's how I learned what my wife makes too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll go one better- secret stash of CASH. These "black funds" are more common among those who have been married before BTW. Also me & that woman who lives in my house have always kept $ seperate anyway. If I get run over by a bus someone I trust knows where it is and to pass it to her.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#43]
We have joint accounts, I don't hide money from her. I also don't buy big ticket items without her knowing about it. I control the finances, pay every bill, including her cc and I keep her apprised of our fiscal situation. She comes from a culture where the male is in control of the finances, whether it be managing a sister's inheritance or giving her spending money, and she expects this from me. Has been an adjustment for me as my mother was the CFO of the household I grew up in.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My wife and I have both separate and joint accounts. Been married over thirty years so I don't see an issue.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's stupid.

My wife and I have both separate and joint accounts. Been married over thirty years so I don't see an issue.

Just wondering, His, Hers & Ours. You need a new stove(what ever engine goes south ect.) is it 50-50?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I agree that keeping a secret stash is unhealthy for a married couple.

"If I tell her about the stash, then she won't trust my commitment to the marriage."

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just wondering, His, Hers & Ours. You need a new stolve(what ever engine goes south ect.) is it 50-50?
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#47]
No but my ex wife sure did. Fucking Bitch.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Not secret, just separate
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Both our Checks go direct deposit  to our joint account. Bills are paid and I just never buy dumb stuff with debit card. Cash and emergency cash are separate. Wife knows safe combo but has no idea what stuff is worth.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#50]
this is interesting to me. The misses and I have been discussing this type of stuff prior to the engagement (waiting to meet the father). I keep 3 separate accounts going and she has 2. we planned on combining them and both just keeping a play account with a joint account for all the bills. nothing secret though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top