Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 6:23:25 AM EDT
A woman friend of mine is building a house. She plans on moving in in late fall, maybe Nov. Her boyfriend will be moving in also. The deed will only have her name on it at that point. They plan to marry in the spring. When they get married does the husband automatically become a half owner of the house? This is taking place in New York. The guy is kind of a loser and I would hate to see the woman get screwed over with the house if the marrage goes south. He works but he just kind of rubs me the wrong way. Also she will stands to inherit some land & money at some point in the distant furture. Is it safe to assume that the only way for her to protect it from hubby is a pre-nup? I've told her to get to a lawyer but she is dragging her feet. She has 1 daughter 12 or 13 years old. Thanks....zeek
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Sound to me that is the only is an pre-nup.  Also common marrage she should get one before he moves in.  Just in case.  
Bob
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input. I relay your thoughts to her. Hopefully she will listen
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top