Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/11/2004 5:09:01 PM EST
www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/leverAction22/Golden39A.htm

www.chuckhawks.com/marlin39A_syn.htm

Are they one of the all-time best .22 rifles? They are certainly expensive. I have one - a Mountie (carbine model with straight stock) and I love it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:04:49 PM EST
Yes. An American classic.

Rich
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:05:50 PM EST
Been on the same boat. Did all my homework, asked on message boards... Yadda yadda yadda...

...Got the Henry Goldenboy.

Smooth action and just an all around GORGEOUS rifle.

ONE warning though. DONT let your brother use it at the range and make sure if he does that when he puts the SPRING LOADED 'follower' in that he LOCKS IT IN PLACE!!! that sucker FLEW OUT OF THERE and downrange.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:06:46 PM EST
The Henry GoldenBoy is a pretty rifle but how is the quality?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:08:17 PM EST
It is not a Winchester.

I dont really care for marlins myself
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:08:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
It is not a Winchester.

I dont really care for marlins myself

Uh oh. I see a Winchester v Marlin war coming.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:11:17 PM EST
I have a Winchester 9422. I love it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:13:21 PM EST
I prefer the side ejection of the Marlins.

Also the 39 takes down.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:17:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:19:57 PM EST
I have a Henry lever action 22 also. The rifle looks really nice. The quality seems very nice. The one thing i dont like is that they use plastic for the front site. The bands holding the front handguard on is also plastic.

Other than the plastic its a nice rifle.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:20:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2004 6:21:39 PM EST by clean_cut]
To those considering one, I highly recommend a lever action .22. You can load .22 shorts as well as .22 LR, generally speaking (check manufacturer's manual first).

They are fast rifles to shoot, and there is something about lever action that is cooler than semi-auto like 10/22.

Also, a great companion to the Ruger Single Six. Wish I hadn't sold mine!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:07:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By clean_cut:

Don’t let any body fool you in to thinking the Henry Golden Boy is in the same class as the Model 39A or the 9422 … it defiantly IS NOT.

The best description of the Henry Golden Boy is functional; it used sub-standard materials in places when compared to the Model 39A and 9422.

If you want a rifle to play with the Henry Golden Boy will do… if you want a classic rifle that will last a lifetime and be passed down get a Model 39A or 9422.

I have had both Model 39As and 9422s both are great rifle but the Marlin is my favorite. There is a reason the Marlin has been produced for over 100 years.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:44:04 PM EST

On the Henry, what looks like the receiver is only a sheet metal cover over the actual frame, which is pot metal. They work good for a little while, but long term use is questionable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:46:15 PM EST
My nephew has one and never misses a squirrel. Great little rifle. Was pretty expensive from what my brother was telling me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:51:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

Don’t let any body fool you in to thinking the Henry Golden Boy is in the same class as the Model 39A or the 9422 … it defiantly IS NOT.

The best description of the Henry Golden Boy is functional; it used sub-standard materials in places when compared to the Model 39A and 9422.

If you want a rifle to play with the Henry Golden Boy will do… if you want a classic rifle that will last a lifetime and be passed down get a Model 39A or 9422.

I have had both Model 39As and 9422s both are great rifle but the Marlin is my favorite. There is a reason the Marlin has been produced for over 100 years.

Big +1 on that.

I've got a 39A that I expect to own forever. I took it shooting the day after Christmas (best present ever from my Dad ) and immediately started plinking empty shotgun shells with no problem.

The Henry rifles don't seem to have much quality control. I've seen some that seemed well-made, but most have seemed to be of poorer quality than the Marlin. If you decide to get a Henry, be very picky about the one you get, and you may be alright.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:52:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2004 8:53:40 PM EST by DrFrige]

Originally Posted By 2manytoys:

On the Henry, what looks like the receiver is only a sheet metal cover over the actual frame, which is pot metal. They work good for a little while, but long term use is questionable.

That is on the regular Henry... he was asking about the Goldenboy.

I have NO complaints on the HGB. Other than I dinged it when putting it back in the safe.... The accuracy and smiles on the faces of all those (incl ME) that shot it was gratifying. Had absolutely NO glitches or FTF at all. The construction of this rifle is SOLID. It has the nice and heavy octagon barrel which gives you a classy look as well.

Do what you want, I am not getting into a pissing match of what is better. I am just giving my report on what I own and doing my research prior to purchasing it.

Just as I did before purchasing my SUPERIOR BUSHMASTER than a Piece of shit Colt

(OH CRAP.... WHERE IS MY FLAME RETARDANT SUIT!!!)
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:55:32 PM EST
Those GoldenBoys are pretty expensive too - even more than a Marlin 39?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:56:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
It is not a Winchester.

That's the point.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:06:30 PM EST
My dad purchased his 39A used, back in the early 50's. It's still going strong and accurate as hell.

IMO the golgen boy is perty but not in the same league as the winchester or marlin.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:54:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By DrFrige:
Do what you want, I am not getting into a pissing match of what is better. I am just giving my report on what I own and doing my research prior to purchasing it.

Just as I did before purchasing my SUPERIOR BUSHMASTER than a Piece of shit Colt

(OH CRAP.... WHERE IS MY FLAME RETARDANT SUIT!!!)

Dohh!! You just whipped it out and started pissing away....

<Grab the suit.>
INCOMINGGGGG!!

FLUGYuu and Yuu're INFERIOR STINKYBUSH!!

Confucious (and Bad, ..Bad, ..Leroy Brown) say:
Don't piss in the wind and (don't mess around with
COLT) .

Both are Worthy.

So is the Marlin.
Had one a long time ago. Accurate and reliable. Recommend the shorter barreled, straight stock version.

Are they one of the all-time best .22 rifles?

Well, to reinforce what you already know, Why yes! They are!

They are certainly expensive. I have one - a Mountie (carbine model with straight stock) and I love it.

Good for you. Seriously.

Wish I still had the one somebody stole from me 15 years ago.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:41:04 PM EST
Aren't a lot of the Winchesteres parts stamped? I looked at one at a local gun dealer here a little while back and was not at all impressed with the craftsmanship of Winchester. I decided that I would get the Marlin when I get one.

Basically the same thing when I went looking for a bolt rifle. I was all excited about the new Mod 70 that was supposed to be like the pre 64s. I ended up buying a Remington 700.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:42:06 PM EST
the only true lever actions worth buying are winchesters.

(im a little biased)
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:13:39 AM EST

Don't forget to diss' the Brownings.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:22:36 AM EST
I received my 39A for Xmas in 1956. Tens of thousands of rounds and 47 years later it's the greatest rifle I have ever owned. It will soon be passed on to my Grandson.
Quality lasts. This basic rifle has been in production since 1896, there must be a reason !!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:34:13 AM EST
Actually I think all three are nice. My dad had the 9422 for years and still kicks himself for selling it. It was to us like the crem-della-crem of lever action.22s . Not too long ago though I bought the little Henry lever and love it. Decent wood (not like the walnut on the9422 however) , shoots accurately and is reliable.Can't ask more than that . My Dad bought one awhile back and really likes it. My 2 cents
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:08:07 AM EST
The Golden Boy is nice, and from what I hear on the rimfire boards the guys at Henry really take care of their customers. However, the receiver is a sprayed on "brass type" finish, and from what I hear it does incorporate some plastic parts (that's fine if you like Glocks, but NOT in my leverguns). Nice little rifle but not in the same class.

The Winchesters are nice, but if I were getting a Winnie, I'd look for an older one.

The Marlins are great. If you ever go to a Cowboy Silhouette match, the Marlins rule the .22 class.

I have a 1894CB in .45lc and it's wonderful.

Rich
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:52:35 AM EST
Isnt this great though? We can sit here and debate of which AMERICAN MADE guns are better to own IN AMERICA?

Try THAT in france!

No no no... WE have the best Coissant.... No we do, NO WE DO!!!

All in all, regardless of HENRY, MARLIN or WINCHESTER. Whatever we own, At least we are not.....france.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:09:36 AM EST
I bought my 39D used in 1978 for $100 from an old dealer that lived down the street and was closing shop.

It has been by far one of the best .22's I have ever owned. It is picky about what ammo it will feed but it is very accurate with what ammo it likes.

If I had to sell my guns, this is one rifle that I would hold onto and not sell at any cost.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:36:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2004 9:36:31 AM EST by Green_Canoe]

Originally Posted By 2manytoys:

+2

I have a Henry (on loan to me), A Browning BL-22, An a Marlin 39 in the house. The quality of the Browning and Marlin are on a different planet compared to the Henry. I would choose the Marlin first because of its much smoother action. I got the Browning for my 16th B-day so it will never be sold. The 39 is my wifes passed down from her grandfather and still going strong. Get the best deal you can on the 39 and buy it. You won't regret it if you want a lever .22.

Kent
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:48:55 AM EST
There was another thread on here not too long ago about what firearm you wish you never got rid of. I had rifle for many years that I ended up trading for something. I don't even remember what was I traded for but I remember what I got rid of. It was Marlin Golden Mountie 39A. I wish to God that I still had that rifle!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:04:41 AM EST
My neighbor/hunting buddy across the street has one and LOVES it. I haven't shot it yet, so I'll have to take his word for it. I HAVE, however, shot plenty of Marlin 30-30s and if the action on the .22s is as nice as the 30-30s I'd say go for it.

There's a pawnshop I frequent that has a Marlin and a Winchester .22 magnum and they WILL NOT dicker on the price AT ALL. This is the same pawnshop that knocked $175 off the sticker price of the HiPower I bought from them.

That being said, I'm the PROUD owner of a Browning BLR-22 and I can't see a lever action .22 being any better than it. PLUS, the trigger on the BLR-22 travels with the lever so you don't have to disengage your finger while working the lever. AFAIK, the Winchester and Marlin don't have this feature.

Lever action .22s are a blast to shoot so no matter what model or make you end up with you'll likely enjoy it.

OR..........................

BUY ALL THREE!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:25:17 AM EST
Bottom line on the Marlin is, it's still made by and large the same way it was in the 1890's...Forged and milled steel, and American walnut.

There are no plastic parts, and only a few stamped parts in non-critical areas.

The Marlin is built like a tank, fitted like a Swiss watch, and only gets smoother with use.

If you just want a shooter, buy something else. If you want something to pass to your Great-grand kids, buy a Marlin.

In .22 lever guns it really is the Cadillac.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:05:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By tc6969:

Are they one of the all-time best .22 rifles?

Yes.

Absoluteley. I have one myself and it's definately worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:38:57 AM EST
+1 for the 39A. My brother has had his since 1979 and still is a damn fine tack-driver. As has been said before, it can shoot .22shorts as well, something my beloved 10-22 cannot do.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:48:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By llanero:
+1 for the 39A.

+2 for the 39A. This was my first, personally owned rifle. It was a Chrismas present from my parents,
so it's definitely one that will never leave my possession. A real tack driver that's taken a
respectable quota of PA groundhogs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:54:56 AM EST
My daughter wants a .22 lever-action rifle. After shouldering/handling several models in a gun store, she picked the Marlin. I kept my mouth shut the whole time, but was pleased to see that she recognized quality.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:59:33 AM EST
I have a Winnie 9422, aboslutely love the rifle. Never had problem one with it, excellent finish and a joy to shoot.
I have no experience with the Marlins, so I wont speak for it, but I consider the Winchester 9422 to also be one of the best .22 lever actions money can buy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:00:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 8:01:18 AM EST by Admiral_Crunch]
I have a Goldenboy. It's fun as hell to shoot, and has a super-smooth action. I've put hundreds of rounds through it with no problems at all. Accuracy isn't quite as good as the Remington 597 (at least with the bucket-o-bullets from WalMart), but it'll ding metal plates all day.

I get nothing but compliments on it. It's a little front-heavy, but not bad. Just don't get one if you want to scope it.

I handled a Marlin in the store, but I just didn't care for the feel of the checkering. I'm sure it's a great gun, though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:08:51 AM EST

Are they one of the all-time best .22 rifles? They are certainly expensive. I have one - a Mountie (carbine model with straight stock) and I love it.

I really dislike lever action .22's. They jam constantly and you spend more time fussing with them than you do shooting them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:22:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:24:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

I really dislike lever action .22's. They jam constantly and you spend more time fussing with them than you do shooting them.

You had a cheap lever action. I've used LA .22's, 44's and 30-30's and all of them have been very very reliable.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:30:49 AM EST

How large is your sample size? It seems many people here have expirience with lever .22's, of all makes; w/o much, if any touble. I've never had a lick of trouble with all of mine. Please elaborate on your expiriences.

Kent
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:53:11 AM EST
I have owned two of the Marlin 39's. One with a 24 inch barrel and the current one with a 16? inch barrel.

The older one was an absolute tack driver! A bit fussy about ammo, though. It did not like CCI Stingers and a few others. Also, it did not have that stupid safety on it.

My current 39 is not as fussy about ammo, but not as accurate as the first one that I had. It is a more convenient length, though.

Also, the first of my two 39's had a much smoother action for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:12:29 AM EST
I recently purchased a taurus model 63, a copy of the winchester .22 automatic. For just $225 out the door from my local walmart, it's a great buy. Groups about 1.5 inches at 50 yards and it's made of steel and wood just like the old days.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:18:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 9:20:22 AM EST by John_Wayne777]

Originally Posted By Specop_007:

You had a cheap lever action. I've used LA .22's, 44's and 30-30's and all of them have been very very reliable.

No. I had a Winchester 94/22 that was made very well and had beautiful bluing and wood. It was to be my favorite squirrel gun.

But it was constantly jamming and having feeding problems. Lever action .22's just don't work very well. The nature of the action and the feeding mechanism don't make for the best reliability. I spent more time in the woods trying to clear up malfunctions than hunting squirrels. I ended up loosing a lot of critters because I was too busy fooling with my gun....

Ditto with the Browning lever action .22. (This one had a glossy stock and was engraved...Nice looking, but same problems...)

My Marlin 336 is as reliable as the day is long. The pistol caliber rifles I have used have also been fantastic. But the tiny little .22 cartridge just doesn't work as well.
Top Top