Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/18/2005 5:47:17 AM EDT
Is the first round fired from an AR, Garand, etc., as "accurate" as all the rest of the rounds fired from that particular clip/magazine? Or, is that first round considered a "flyer".

I do not shoot enough to know (I know, no excuse), nor, am I a good enough shot to tell from my experience.

What do you think/know? Thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:04:21 AM EDT
The magazine should have nothing to do with how accurate an auto loader is. That comes from the barrel, chamber, and bolt.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:11:02 AM EDT
Reason I ask is that the first round is "slammed" into the chamber at a different force........when you pull the bolt back to chamber the first round, does it enter into the chamber at a different speed than the other rounds? Would that affect the accuracy of the first shot?

Or, should I simply focus more on the front site?

Hard to believe, but I have always wondered about this (the first paragraph, anyway).

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:21:30 AM EDT
It's a machine. If the machine is in tune, you will get repetative results. If the machine is not in tune, you will get varying results. I've shot M1's, M14/M1As, bolt guns and ARs in competition. The AR is by far the easiest to keep in tune.

Then there's the ammo. A little difference in bullet or powder and shots go different places.

Then there's the shooter. A little difference in sight picture or stock weld and the shots go different places.

Now, secure the rifle in a mechanical rest, make sure all the bullets are balllistically identical, and all the powder charges are identical and all the shots should go to the same place. That doesn't necessarily mean the same hole, but damn close.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:26:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:35:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
I've heard claims that the first round from a semi-automatic pistol will hit to a different point of aim than the subsequent rounds that are loaded by the action of the pistol v. the slide being cycled by hand. When I become a good enough shot to determine whether that is true I will let you know,

That's what I've heard, specifically about the 1911.

But really, the effect would be benchrest minimal IMHO. Variations in wind would seam to have a larger effect.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:35:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
I've heard claims that the first round from a semi-automatic pistol will hit to a different point of aim than the subsequent rounds that are loaded by the action of the pistol v. the slide being cycled by hand. When I become a good enough shot to determine whether that is true I will let you know,

don't wait up...

Thanks for helping me clarify my original question!! Wish my original question came out like that.

When it gets right down to it, I highly doubt with my mediocre shooting skills I could tell a difference, even if there was a difference.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:22:36 AM EDT
There can be a difference between the first shot and subsequent shots out of many guns due to the first round being out of a cold, clean barrel. This happens with many types of guns and has nothing to do with it being a semi.

I wouldn't think there would be any effect you can notice (if there even is one) caused by chambering speed.
Top Top