Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2002 9:36:01 AM EDT
Family Gets Computer Chips Implant
BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) - A Florida family on Friday became the first to be implanted with computer chips that researchers hope will someday become an easy way to provide emergency room staffers with patients' medical information.

Jeff and Leslie Jacobs, along with their 14-year-old son, Derek, had the tiny chips implanted in their arms. Each chip is about the size of a grain of rice, and insertion takes about a minute under local anesthesia.

The chips, called the VeriChip, were designed by Palm Beach-based Applied Digital Solutions Inc. They are similar to chips implanted in pets to identify them if they are lost.

The family wanted the implants in case of future medical emergencies.

``We're doing this as a security for us, because we've worked so hard to save my husband's life,'' said Leslie Jacobs, 46.

Her 48-year-old husband has suffered through cancer, a car crash, a degenerative spinal condition, chronic eye disease and abdominal operations. His injuries have forced him to quit his dental practice.

``It's been really easy and I feel a lot better that I have it,'' he said after the implant.

The chips used by the Jacobs family contain only telephone numbers and information about previous medications. The data can be read by a hand-held computer and printed out.

The Food and Drug Administration said in April that it would not regulate the implant as long as it contains no medical data. Company officials said they were free to proceed because the implant contains identification numbers that correspond to personal medical information in a separate database.

The FDA did not consider the implant to be a medical device, company officials said. An FDA spokeswoman in Miami did not immediately return a phone call. The FDA had said regulation would be needed if medical records were stored to guard against storage of outdated records.

Company officials hope to eventually include more extensive information. The company says it would be particularly valuable for those who suffer from Alzheimer's disease or others with difficulty providing medical information on their own.

VeriChip is expected to sell for about $200. A scanner used to read information contained in the chip would cost between $1,000 and $3,000.

The chip, which could also be used as a security tool, has stirred debate over its potential use as a ``Big Brother'' device to track people or invade the privacy of their homes or workplaces.

Jacobs and his family brush aside those arguments. Anyone can be tracked through the Internet and e-mail, credit cards and cellular phones, they say.

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I want to "feel" safer too! Sign me up! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#2]
CITIZEN!  STAND HERE FOR BIOMETRIC IDENTITY SCAN!

[IMG]http://www.contrabandent.com/cwm/s/contrib/ruinkai/cylonA.gif[/IMG]

Company officials hope to eventually include more extensive information.
View Quote

Such a Brave New World we are trying to build.

Coming soon:  You will REQUIRED to have this.  ID theft is a growing problem you know.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sadness.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Jacobs and his family brush aside those arguments. Anyone can be tracked through the Internet and e-mail, credit cards and cellular phones, they say.
View Quote

Maybe they can glean SOME info, but they can't push a button and get your exact location at any time!  
What if they place poison in these, and if you were to disobey the world dictator, the capsule would rupture?

Besides, I can destroy cell phones and credit cards.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Satan [}:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#6]
The family in the article is on Foxnews now and they're all shits and giggles about the whole process. What a bunch of SHEEP! They also are investers in the company creating this chip. Saying they believe this will help so many people. Sounds to me they feel its the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Oh those who follow Blindly[rolleyes]

The kid said the company advises you not use cellphones because it could screw up the waves coming out of the chip[>:/]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#7]
After they are made mandatory, people will start removing them. The next step will be to make them really big and put them in your head. When you try to remove it you will look Arnold Schwarzenegger in Total Recall. [shock]
[img]http://webpages.charter.net/jeff.hoeft/pics/implant2.jpg[/img]
And afterwards you will look like this.
[img]http://webpages.charter.net/jeff.hoeft/pics/mars4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#10]
[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sheep.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just had a thought that sent chills:  What if they used these rather than dogtags for service personnel?  [shock]  As a condition of serving your country, you already give up all your rights (remember the anthrax vaccine arguments).  Now imagine that continuing past the end of your military service.

Not to mention what would happen if an enemy would be able to hack the locator feature.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. The government could make all new recruits take this chip under the guise that if you become a casulty of war this chip would be used to identify your body or if you moved around in the military they could put your new orders in the chip so when you checked in with your new commander he could scan you and transfer you to the correct area of your classifications
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#12]
We already have a mark (so to speak) its called a social security number, every legal
citizen has one.

Would I want a chip, NOPE but I don't buy into the "mark of the beast" But ANYONE that's not coverage by the blood of Christ is already marked, think about it or don't think about it
the choice is always yours.

Flame away if you feel compelled.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Check it out:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=115796[/url]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't believe the "medical emergency" bullshit excuse for one minute.

As a paramedic I can tell you that that info is rarely neccessary. sometimes it's nice to have a little info when a person is incapacitated but I can tell you, we deal with patients who are unable to speak or unconscious all the time.

We are trained to handle any emergency even if you completely comatose.

This is an excuse to get people to accept invasive proceedures for information purposes.

Look for more of this shit coming soon to a town near you. Wait until they try to make your financial life miserable without unless you accept one of these things.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just had a thought that sent chills:  What if they used these rather than dogtags for service personnel?  [shock]  As a condition of serving your country, you already give up all your rights (remember the anthrax vaccine arguments).  Now imagine that continuing past the end of your military service.

Not to mention what would happen if an enemy would be able to hack the locator feature.
View Quote

According to one of our neighbors who is a soldier at Fort Lewis, they have their medical records in a chip in their wrist.  Has anyone else heard this?  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top