Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 4:20:07 AM EDT
Link to story.

PUBLISHED SUNDAY, DECEMBER 7, 2003

Marines, Navy invade Eglin

Expeditionary drills first for area
Kimberly Blair
@PensacolaNewsJournal.com

Monday marks the beginning of a new era for the military and Northwest Florida.

More than 7,400 sailors and Marines are poised aboard 15 Navy vessels in the Gulf of Mexico, ready to begin a 10-day, joint training exercise to prepare them for deployment.

Hovercraft transports brimming with tanks, trucks, assault vehicles, an array of weapons and hundreds of armed Marines will launch from three amphibious assault ships operating about three miles out in the Gulf.

The transports will rumble over Santa Rosa Island and skim across Santa Rosa Sound between Navarre and Fort Walton Beach.

Marines will hit the shore at Wynnhaven Beach and assemble convoys before tracking across U.S. 98, where they will disappear into the thick woods of the Eglin Air Force Base reservation.

At the same time, Marine Harrier jets will screech overhead while Super Stallion and Sea Knight helicopters insert more troops into staging areas inland. Farther east, a smaller contingent of Marines will head to Hammock Point by boat before crossing State Road 20 into the reservation.

I love living next to a military base.  We get to see some really cool stuff.  I'll try to take some pics if I can get close enough.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:27:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I just traveled 98 in that area recently. What exactly do those signs on the fences at the side of the highway say?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:41:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just traveled 98 in that area recently. What exactly do those signs on the fences at the side of the highway say?
View Quote

It depends where they are.  Some mark restricted areas or areas where you might encounter UXO.  The ones along the beach just say "No motorized vehicles" and advise that you give up all your rights by going on AF property.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:07:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like the signs on I-5 as you're passing through Camp Pendleton next to the hovercraft (Landing Craft, Air Cushioned) hangars:
[b]"This is LCAC country: No Beach Out of Reach!"[/b]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The best part was that the PNJ (who's reporters write with crayon on paper with those really wide lines) put a picture of a fucking Army soldier on the top of the story.
And, sorry... I've been told they are going to close the area.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Where's Naked-Gunman?  He lives for this kind of stuff.
The Air Force (and all other branches) hate him, though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

He thought the invasion force was coming for his jet ski.  He ran outside and ripped off a 30rd mag.  Last I saw the SP's were dragging him off in cuffs.[;D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Of course, these troops are here because this is the replacement area for Vieques Island in Puerto Rico....and it also means that the military presence (and all of their dollars) are leaving as well.

[advise]Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it[/advise]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
<--- Destin, soon to re-locate to Bluewater

been hearing about it on the radio quite a bit (Z96)
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

He thought the invasion force was coming for his jet ski.  He ran outside and ripped off a 30rd mag.  Last I saw the SP's were dragging him off in cuffs.[;D]
View Quote
They were just trying to return his stray dog to him.  In order to make sure it didn't run off again, they were going to put the dog under the jetski.
I kept trying to tell him, but noooooooooo.  
At least he didn't shoot down any airplanes this time, though I did hear that he took out an M1 Abrams and a Patriot battery.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When do we re occupy Miami? [:D]
View Quote

Not until you get a HUGE ARSENAL of your UBERCOOL 9MM ULTRA-ACCURATE BABY KILLING HIGH CAPACITY GRANNY GRAZING LONG RANGE $625 SNIPER SPACE GUNS to arm 10,000 Armchair Warriors...

[b][red]Para La Revolucion![/b][/red]

[b]VAMOS A MIAMI!!![/b]

[lol]

J/K SA!!!  [;D]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote
They were just trying to return his stray dog to him.  In order to make sure it didn't run off again, they were going to put the dog under the jetski.
I kept trying to tell him, but noooooooooo.  
At least he didn't shoot down any airplanes this time, though I did hear that he took out an M1 Abrams and a Patriot battery.
View Quote

As usual the media got everything screwed up.  It wasn't an M1 Abrams and a Patriot battery.  It was just a Bradley and a hot dog stand.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top