Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2004 6:46:11 PM EST
1/23 is a Marine Corps Reserve unit from Texas

1/23 snipers reclaim city from insurgents
Submitted by: 1st Marine Division
Story Identification #: 2004102463516
Story by Cpl. Randy Bernard

HIT, Iraq (Oct.10, 2004) -- Marines from Scout Sniper Platoon, Headquarters and Support Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 7, won a decisive battle against a heavy insurgent threat recently.

The snipers were called to action after they received reports that hundreds of heavily armed insurgents, dressed in black garb, were occupying the city.

"We are the eyes, ears and trigger finger for the battalion commander," said Sgt. Herbert B. Hancock, the chief scout sniper for the platoon. "Anything that he sees as a threat, we are sent out to check up on."

The snipers were the first Marines to enter the city and observe the threat. Once the snipers had located the insurgents and established positions to assess the situation, the snipers realized just how right the reports had been.

"They were all out in the open doing whatever they wanted to," said Hancock, 35, a native of Bryan, Texas. "They were in control of that side of the city, rerouting traffic, threatening to kill people and terrorizing people.

"Any convoy that looked like it had anything to do with the coalition was attacked and hit by (improvised explosive devices). There were civilians and civilian cars in the area, but they didn't care. They were being blatant about the fact that they were in control."

After witnessing the insurgents pull people from their cars, shoot at civilians and detonate IEDs in the traffic circle, the snipers began to fire at them.

Sergeant Milo S. Afong, a sniper with the platoon, took the first shot.

"I had a perfect silhouette of his body and his weapon," said Afong, 23, a native of Vista, Calif. "It had been the first time I saw people out here with weapons."

After the first shots were fired and a few insurgents were hit, the masked men in the traffic circle realized they were under attack.

"Even more of them showed up carrying (rocket propelled grenades) and AK-47s," said Cpl. Stephen R. Johnson, an assistant team leader with the platoon. "That is when they started shooting back. At first they were fighting us out in the open and behind cars. That wasn't working for them so they got up in the buildings and tried to set up concealed positions and shoot at us."

According to Gunnery Sgt. Timothy J. Dowd, the platoon commander, this battle marks the first time in history that snipers from 1/23 engaged enemy troops and was also one of the largest scale sniper missions in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

That was the heaviest firefight in the city, according to Johnson. That particular firefight lasted approximately 45 minutes. However, the sniper battle against the insurgents in the area lasted several more days, until their extract.

"The whole time it was like we were in a shooting gallery with people shooting at us," said Afong.

The Marines proved themselves as valuable assets to the battalion.

"We showed how (a handful of) guys basically eliminated a whole platoon," said Johnson, 24, a native of Woodlands, Texas. "We have proven that snipers are cost effective with lives and rounds. There are no substitutes for snipers on the battlefield."

The snipers made it out of the fighting with only minor injuries.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:46:50 PM EST
HIT...appropriate name, eh???
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:51:25 PM EST
Fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:51:37 PM EST
Semper Fi. Good job guys. I am glad all the guys got out alive. Do these guys also go out at night? It would seem that would be a good time to get the bad guys planting IEDs and explosives. Wouldnt it ruin their night it they got shot will trying to place the bombs?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:51:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:52:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:59:21 PM EST
Not only are you dead, not only did you get sniped by an infidel, but you got sniped by an infidel named HERBIE HANCOCK.

PWNED
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:00:36 PM EST
SWEET, Great job guys! Gotta love the snipers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:02:24 PM EST
I want a body count!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:03:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
Semper Fi. Good job guys. I am glad all the guys got out alive. Do these guys also go out at night? It would seem that would be a good time to get the bad guys planting IEDs and explosives. Wouldnt it ruin their night it they got shot will trying to place the bombs?

That's always what I had thought. Why aren't there any snipers taking out the insurgents who are setting those IEDs up?

Hell yeah to the Marine snipers!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:06:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:07:19 PM EST
Deadliest weapon on the battlefield. We need more.

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:08:46 PM EST
Outstanding job!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:08:53 PM EST

"At first they were fighting us out in the open and behind cars. That wasn't working for them [...]" - emphasis added -

I love understatement!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:10:17 PM EST
Can't wait to see the movie!!

(I wish)

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:10:29 PM EST
OohRa! Good shooting jarheads!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:20:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2004 7:20:48 PM EST by 223Rem]

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
I want a body count!

Darn near impossible to get an accurate number..................Don't they eat their dead?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:20:23 PM EST
God bless our Troops! Gotta love 'em! Wish I was there with 'em!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:23:17 PM EST
Well done!! Reminds me of another day when another Hancock held up an entire company for 3 days. USMC - When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight.

- Proud to be an AMERICAN, YJ
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:24:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By MMcCall:
Not only are you dead, not only did you get sniped by an infidel, but you got sniped by an infidel named HERBIE HANCOCK.

After the projectile was lovingly polished with pork...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:28:30 PM EST
Yea!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:29:53 PM EST
Lets not go there that didnt work in another conflict to well.

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
I want a body count!

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:33:35 PM EST
got pics?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:35:43 PM EST
One shot, one kill. Just how its supposed to be.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:36:39 PM EST
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:38:17 PM EST
OUTSTANDING MARINES !!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:39:51 PM EST
Get some!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:45:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2004 8:26:55 PM EST by sum-rifle]
From the post title I thought they only killed 1/10th of the bad guys, Decimate= to reduce by 10%.
I was pleasantly surprised when I read they pretty much wiped them all out.
Go get-em Marines.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:45:11 PM EST
Check out my sig line!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:45:17 PM EST
I knew some Marine Corps Snipers. They said "It was Uncle Sam's Long Distance Calling Card"
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:47:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2004 8:10:11 PM EST by JHaines]
Hoo-Fricken-Rah!

That's my old unit.

Headquarters & Support (including the Scout Sniper platoon) are headquartered in Houston, TX.
It warms my heart to know how much ass they are whipping over there.

One of my Marine buddies forwarded me an email he got from one of the guys in that SS platoon. His email included a bit more info regarding the "action".....The Marines effectively used the Barret (he called it a "SASR") to engage insurgents through the cars they were trying to take cover behind. Very impressive stuff.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:55:56 PM EST
The benifits of the USMC spending so much time on rifle marksmanship...

For all the ribbing the Marines take, no one will deny that they definately know how to shoot...

GJ 1/23 - nothin scares the crap out of a would-be terrorist like seeing his best friend drop dead & not knowing if he's next, or where the shot came from...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:00:15 PM EST
Kick some ass guys, and don't bother taking names.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:01:30 PM EST
OUTFUCKINSTANDING I second the motion for the body count!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:09:17 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:15:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By yellowjacket:
Well done!! Reminds me of another day when another Hancock held up an entire company for 3 days. USMC - When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight.

If you are referring to Calos Hathcock, he not only held them up, he and his spotter slaughtered them in three days.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:17:24 PM EST
I hope they can also call a fire mission and drop some ordnance on the BGs. Go Marines!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:21:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2004 8:21:42 PM EST by MaverickMkii]
Insurgents = "omg we are teh suxor"

PWNT!

OUTS­TANDING

(I need to stop posting in 1337 )

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:21:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By MonkTx:

Originally Posted By yellowjacket:

If you are referring to Calos Hathcock, he not only held them up, he and his spotter slaughtered them in three days.

More than 80 of them. Trapped them behind a berm, IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:29:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By sum-rifle:
From the post title I thought they only killed 1/10th of the bad guys, Decimate= to reduce by 10%.
I was pleasantly surprised when I read the pretty much wiped them all out.
Go get-em Marines.

Most people aren't familiar with the Latin roots of the word and use it to indicate larger quantities.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:40:56 PM EST
Love to hear that....too bad the US media doesn't report our successes.

Originally Posted By SPECTRE:
OUTSTANDING MARINES !!

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:00:41 PM EST
Someone I know was pulled back into duty. He was out already, but was reactivated.

<­BR>

He told me he was a 50 BMG sniper......

Before he left, I told him, "Make something go splat" and he just gave a cheezy grin.....
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:07:02 PM EST
They need to do a lot more of this. The enemy must be made to always sleep with one eye open.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:26:38 PM EST
Semper Fi Devil DAWGS!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:34:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2004 11:15:23 PM EST by Tate]
Outstanding. Salute.

I hope the career politicians in the military (Pentagon Generals/Admirals) are paying close attention.

COST EFFECTIVE WITH IMMEDIATE RESULTS EVIDENT TO ALL IN THE AREA

I'd love to have a piece of brass from that engagement.

As for calling in arty/air, the engagement was in a city - don't want to kill noncombatants.

In the Hathcock engagement against the NVA, arty was called in during the night for flare rounds to keep the target lit. When Hathcock and his spotter Burke ran out of ammo, after virtually all of the btn had been *touched* by him, they called in HE arty to finish any survivors. IIRC
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:31:31 AM EST
decimate

Discipline was unbelievably severe in the Roman army. If a soldier on guard duty didn’t know the password, he was executed. If a cohort or legion mutinied, it was decimated, that is, the soldier standing in the first rank in the first file picked a number from one through ten out of a helmet, and the count off continued from that number. When the count off came to “ten” (decem in Latin), that soldier was executed, as was every tenth man after him; the other nine tenths got the message. Today people commonly extend the literal meaning of killing one tenth to the killing of any large percentage of a group. Sixty-six percent of the Usage Panel accepts this extension in the sentence The Jewish population of Germany was decimated by the war, even though it is common knowledge that the number of Jews killed was much greater than a tenth of the original population. But when the meaning is further extended to include large-scale destruction other than killing, as in The supply of fresh produce was decimated by the accident at Chernobyl, only 26 percent of the panel accepts the usage.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:39:27 AM EST
BAD ASS! Good Job Marines! USA!

It's gotta feel good to pull the trigger on those fuckers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:43:43 AM EST
Snipers are probably our most valuable soldier in these urban warfare situations. Think of how much different things would be if we allowed sniper teams to operate as they are trained to operate: Teams going into a city, setting up, and watching, waiting, looking to see who is doing what.

They spot Habib rigging a car bomb, they radio HQ and HQ sends out some attack choppers to blow up Habib and everyone helping him rig the car bomb.

They watch a busy intersection and see a guy wearing a bomb vest under his clothes. A little 7.62 magik and the guy is no longer a threat.

They are perched and watching and happen to see Zarqawi getting into a vehicle. They radio HQ and attack choppers get sent to dispose of his vehicle, or even better, they zap him before he can get in the car...

Marine sniper teams are trained to be independent of infantry. They are truly trained to be lone rangers out there gathering intel you can't get any other way. I don't know how these guys are being employed, but odds are if you talked to them they would have some mighty good ideas on how to fix a lot of the problems we are seeing over there. They are hunters. Let em hunt.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:45:50 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:46:55 AM EST
"Every Marine a rifleman sniper."

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:50:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By JHaines:
[One of my Marine buddies forwarded me an email he got from one of the guys in that SS platoon. His email included a bit more info regarding the "action".....The Marines effectively used the Barret (he called it a "SASR") to engage insurgents through the cars

I'd pay good $$$ to see footage of that.

Muhammed thinking he's safe hiding behind a car....then WHAMMO!!!!!!! He's cut in half.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top