Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 3:11:08 PM EDT
I was wondering if you guys had any exercises that make the PFT easier.  I already have the Armstrong workout for pullups, but are there any other workouts that could help me with pullups?  Also, a good ab workout would help too I need to get my crunches up to attain my goal of 100.  I should say that I'm going for a perfect PFT, and any other exercise routines would be good.  I really don't need to worry about the run, I run five miles every other day and the when I timed my three mile I was 16:22.  Any suggestions would help greatly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#1]
16:22 for the 3 mile, thats Un-real You should join the olympics!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know what the Armstrong work out is, but push-ups and dips helped with mine.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

There are guys on my lacrosse team that do 15 easy.

ETA:  We do run alot, and I mean alot for that silly sport with the random sticks.  For tryouts, everyone, including the goalie needed to do sub 18.  Trust me, there is nothing more hilarious than watching the guy everyone lovingly calls "Porkchop" sprint the last mile.  I thought I heard the ground shaking.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Well, MY 3 mile run may be 30 minutes, but there's guys who can do it in 15 flat day in and day out.

It's a nice time for sure (I wish mine was anywhere close) but it's not Olympics.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't know what the Armstrong work out is...

Armstrong Pull-up Program

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Pyramids seem to work with a lot of people for pull-ups.  Just keep doing pull-ups like every other day (day of rest in between for muscles to recoup).  Throw on a weighted pack if you like too.

A good drill for abs is max crunches for 2 min, then 1 min, then 30 seconds.  We did that a lot in boot camp.  Do that, then flutter kicks and hello dollies and leg lifts.  Just smoke them til you can't smoke em any more really.

So you're joining the Corps soon?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
i did a whole lot of lat presses and that helped a lot for pull-ups. when i was at PI i did 17 for the final PFT.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]
For all the Marines on here, how many pullups were you able to do on the IST at the beginning of boot, and then how many were you able to do on the final PFT at the end of boot?  I'm really curious to see how much you guys improved.

Right now i'm doing 7 pullups and I ship off to boot this summer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
do 80% of you max pull up every day and a max twice a week.  Same with sit ups.  The only way to get better is to do more of them.  Try doing pull ups in Flack, and if that is easy, move to inserting your plates or a circular weight.  You can also use the circular weight to do sit ups.  The more you do the better you get.  As a Sgt. I will tell you there are no shortcuts to PT only those who work at it and those who dont (Fuck those guys who are just naturals).
I could do 10 when I left and 70 sit ups.  13 when I after boot and 100 situps.  My best run time EVER was 20min flat, at aberdeen proving ground.  God I HATED pt there.
Final ETA:  If you have done combat conditioning (real CC not the reserve or tanbelt style CC) you can do that.  The MAI that visited us never did regular PT he just did CC and was a STUD.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I know this is a little different but before and at the first PFT at OCS I was running 18:45, 20 pullups, and 100 situps.  That seemed pretty standard, most guys were getting at least 15 pullups and averaging aaround 18.  There were very few who didnt get 100 situps.  The run times vary of course (I'm a horrible runner) with a few sub 16/17 minute times but generally around 19-20 minutes.  By the end of OCS the scores were noticably lower all around.  At OCS you will PT every day of the week.  
Sorry for being a bit vague but OCS was four years ago, I hope this helps.

Sproocket
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I think my main problem is the fact that I'm a runner's build for the most part.  My position on the lacrosse field asks for three things... speed, endurance, and agility.  As a result, even after preseason lifting, I tend to LOSE about 5-10lbs throughout the season from just working that hard.  I'm hoping the Armstrong pullup program helps me alot, I mean I could do the crunches and the run no prob, but the pullups are my lowest factor as of now... oh well, I have time to improve and end up kicking some serious butt on the PFT.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I improved my pullups by installing a bar at home and everytime I walked by doing some pullups.  I mean every time, especially when watching TV. If there was a commercial I would walk out and do as many as I could.  By the end of the day you might only be able to do 4-5 in a set but it works.  

As weird as it seems when you take the PFT there is at least a little apprehention (sp?) when you jump up and hang on the bar.  The more time you spend on the pull up bar the more comfortable you will be.  If you do pullups all the time at home it will get the the point where pullups are no big deal and not some major evolution like they would be if you only did them at the gym or only as part of some special routine.

When I am doing the PFT I usually count in my head by two's. i.e. 1..2..3..1, 1..2..3..2, 1..2..3..3, etc.  so each time I count one it was actually two pullups.  That way in my head I am only doing 10 pullups which is a lot easier than 20.  Does that make sense?  Its hard to explain in text.  Your body is probably capable of doing 20 pullups but your brain gets in the way.

Hope this helps.  Let me know.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#13]
the best way to get better at pull-ups is to do them all the time. sounds simplistic but its true. the dead-hang pull up has always been my nemesis. i think the most i ever did was 14 but with a 20min run and 100 sit-ups i always had a decent PFT. it helps being older too. once i passed 27 all that mattered was whether it was 1st class or not.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the advice guys, I hope to join the brotherhood as soon as possible.  I was supposed to go this summer, but no dice, broken jaw kept me out.  Gotta wait eight months from the time of the break...  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell, I was like you when I started, but by the end of boot I maxed the pullups and situps and did a 19:39 on the three-mile run. I never was a very good runner!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I never could run.... 21 min for me for three

But before I went I did sets of ten chin ups and seperated those with 20  raised foot push ups . for a total of eighty and 160 MWF, and I did a simulated PFT on Sat.

I was 100% going in, and it helped alot. I ran a 19.37 3 mile one time, and puked doing it. Tho...

I hated running. 0351 Anti tank here.  What are you going to contract for?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
snip...  What are you going to contract for?

Hoping to become a leader of Marines by attending PLC.  Once again, thanks for all the advice guys.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:35:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Hit the pool a couple three times a week stud.  Swimming freestyle will help develop your shoulders and back.  It helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top