Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2010 4:48:09 PM EDT
I checked for dupes, but couldn't find any.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20100719/ARTICLES/7191008/1402/NEWS?Title=Marine-Corps-jet-crashes-in-forest-pilot-ejects-safely

A Marine Corp Harrier crashed in the forest in Ocala last night. Pilot is safe, ejected after reported engine failure. Some in the area are saying that there was a loud boom before the ejection, others are saying boom was from the crash. Pilot was found deep in the woods, pretty shook up, but ok. Marine Corps Capt. Jarrod Klement (29) was taken to Shands Hospital (University of Florida). Plane departed from the carrier U.S.S. Kearsarge, which is on pre-deployment training exercises headed from Norfolk down to Jacksonville. Military personnel are locating the debris at this time. Good to know that the pilot and the folks in the forest are all ok.

-Ed

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.

I saw an Osprey fly over Jax yesterday, must have been part of the same exercises, we don't normally see them here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The US Marines have corporate jets?  

Corp = short for corporation.

Corps = pronounced "core"
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I figured it was gonna be a Harrier when I saw the thread title. How old are they at this point? How overdue is the F-35C?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I was just reading that on ocala.com.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]
They are part of 26 MEUs COMPTUEX.  After the green missions are done, the Marines Harries conduct a strike in Florida and the rest of the air combat element goes along for the ride.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad everyone is safe. That guy gets a cool story to tell.

Just imagine strapping yourself into a jet on one of our carriers. You take off and fly your maneuvers and somewhere in there have engine issues and are forced to eject and end up in some remote forest. At night. He has a sidearm right?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Unless you're Obama.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I figured it was gonna be a Harrier when I saw the thread title. How old are they at this point? How overdue is the F-35C?

F35B is the Harrier replacement and last I heard it was still on schedule with the first production models showing up in 2012.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, if only it would have actually crashed in Ocala.

With a nuke slung under it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Widowmaker
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Corps = pronounced "core"[/quote]

ummm. . . not according to then kenyan   "Navy Medical CORPSE-MAN"

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually yes, the Marines do have a few small Corporate jets.  Normally you need to be at least an 06 or higher commander to get one for usage but they are out there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#13]
The Navy is often flying jets to the bombing range in the ONF. Anyone hear if it was loaded with munitions? The local news is pretty scarce with information.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#14]
They tend to drop "dummy" munitions out there, but sometimes they drop the legit stuff. Most likely he was doing maneuvers out there. Anyone who has been out to the forest range to shoot has probably seen the F-18's out there from JAX doing exercises. It is pretty remote out that way, and he was lucky to have some locals rush to his location. Shitty situation, but good to know that the pilot is doing well. Harriers are a bit of a death trap, but they do serve their purpose.

-Ed
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm from that area.

We used to see them streaking overhead quite often on practice bombing runs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I know its Corps, just a typo. A good buddy of mine is a Marine. Yes, the Corps does have corporate jets. I saw a Leer derivative with an insignia leaving out of Orlando Exec. last year.

-Ed
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They tend to drop "dummy" munitions out there, but sometimes they drop the legit stuff. Most likely he was doing maneuvers out there. Anyone who has been out to the forest range to shoot has probably seen the F-18's out there from JAX doing exercises. It is pretty remote out that way, and he was lucky to have some locals rush to his location. Shitty situation, but good to know that the pilot is doing well. Harriers are a bit of a death trap, but they do serve their purpose.

-Ed

That is one of the few ranges on the east coast they can drop live, full up ordnance.  The MEUs' ACEs use that opportunity when after every COMPTUEX to drop something other than blue death.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top