Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2002 11:32:44 AM EDT
I stumbled across this & thought youse guys might be interested.  It's not my site.  I don't know who they are, but they take lots of pics.

[url]http://www.ashkins.com/backinthestan/index.html[/url]

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#1]
...and they sure have a thing for broken helicopters...

Thanks, neat look "behind the scenes".

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrin2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
dumb question: Why do their uniforms have DOD (i guess it means dept. of defense) instead of Army or US Marines, etc?
Mike
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
They are DoD civilians.  Probably some sort of techs or in-country DIA analysts, as their knowledge of foreign weapons system NATO designations is above average.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for posting that!! Awesome!!

-T.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Great pics,

but whats up with the fondness for latrine photos???
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Great pics,

but whats up with the fondness for latrine photos???
View Quote
Yeah, for real! It oughta be called the "Field Sanitation Web Page."
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Great pics. Saw some really cool tech pics of the BRDM.
[NI]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Criminy, what a hole!

It looks like Arizona.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey operatorerror, I am gonna build a "male relief tube" in my back yard and route it to California . . .
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow.

What a great way to spend a Saturday evening — feel almost like I've been there! Thanks for  posting, [b]Norm_G[/b]!

The pipes driven into the ground thing was new to me, I guess there are few things you learn in the service that they didn't teach in Boy Scouts.
View Quote

Run down to Blockbuster and rent "Three Kings" — in the first few minutes of the intro, you'll see a few brief clips of "male relief tubes" in action. Or rent it for the rest of the movie, which ain't too shabby, either...
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks Norm_G, that site got me in trouble with the wife, I was in the back yard diggin my own relief tube holes!

Interesting pics, I like the MI-8 pics the best, being a heli guy myself.

Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#13]
DISE = deployable intelligence support element.

"Organizations like the Deployable Intelligence Support Element (DISE) support split-based operations by bringing together communications capability, automated intelligence fusion systems, and broadcast downlink in a scalable package able to deploy with the entry force. It is not a specific piece of equipment or a particular configuration of equipment. It is a flexible organization able to support any type of ground force commander whether from Army, joint, or combined forces. The DISE provides the commander with a link from his forward deployed force to an intelligence support base located in CONUS or other locations outside the AO.

Split-based operations allow uncommitted IEW assets, including MDCI assets, to support the deployed force through remote collection, processing and analysis, and TENCAP operations in garrison, or from secure locations outside the AO. This includes intelligence of units as they deploy from garrison to port of debarkation (POD) and onward to the AO. The support relationship established between deployment and uncommitted assets in turn facilitates the smooth integration of follow-on assets once they deploy to theater. The deployment of these follow on assets allows the commander to transition from IEW support provided primarily by national assets, the commander can focus the intelligence effort to the resolution required for tactical operations while receiving the unique support available only from national means."

[url]http://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm34-1/ch1.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was this MASS-2 we had just got the IDASC. Tech Fred was the maker's tech rep with our unit. When we went to the field or Korea (we didn't take it to PI or Thailand) he had cammies we issued him. He had these collar pins that were huge, in black. It was a shield with a bunch of stuff on it, and something like Civilian Technican written on them.
He was totally geeked and loved wearing them and driving in Hummers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Very cool pics, thanks!  Lange and Walton look like a couple of nice girls :)
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey operatorerror, I am gonna build a "male relief tube" in my back yard and route it to California . . .
View Quote

LOL!

(I thought the Arizona comment would create a bit more of a response than this.)

You might as well piss on us too. Everyone else is.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Definately love the MH-53 coming in, that photo is great!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Interesting, the photos of the soviet helicopters and armor was neat, even if it was junk.

I get that these are Dept of Defense employees, but what does "DISE" stand for.-Group 26

Also you ain't kiddin' I have never seen such interest in outhouses.
The pipes driven into the ground thing was new to me, I guess there are few things you learn in the service that they didn't teach in Boy Scouts.
View Quote

Deployable
Intelligence
Support
Element

Or at least that's what it meant when I was NCOIC of one.

Damn it!  I was second.  

Honk if you're a 98C.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top