Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/20/2005 12:59:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 12:59:57 PM EDT by Dv8xbox]
So I had a "discussion" with my X g/f about shifting gears when i am driving and just cruising I usually go in this order : 1st , 2nd then just pop it in 4th .

She told me it is bad on the Transmission to skip gears. Is that true?

And please explain why either way ..
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:00:55 PM EDT
Maybe not the most efficient but can't see it being bad in any way.

I thought this was going to be about shifting without the clutch. I can do that when I'm not fighting the morons that jackrabbit ahead to be sure they hit the red light so I can't keep rolling through at the same speed hitting green after green.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:01:25 PM EDT
The only argument I can come up with is uneven wear on the gears.

I am no mechanic though, so you would have to ask them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:02:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 1:02:56 PM EDT by vanilla_gorilla]
Doesn't hurt at all. My '90 GMC halfton only saw 2nd, 4th, and 5th gears for nearly 70K miles. First was too low and there was really no point to 3rd.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:04:11 PM EDT
As long as your taking the RPM level up high enough in 2nd - It wont hurt it . . . .

Its not the best gas mileage method of driving - You just want to make sure your in the "RPM" range of 4th

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:06:07 PM EDT
on most cars for you to go from 2nd to 4th you would really need to wind out 2nd gear. if you dont have the rpm's high enough in second, when you shift to 4th youll be seriously bogging down the engine - not good for the motor or the clutch
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:07:25 PM EDT
Absolutley not!

it physically cannot hurt anything internally in the transmission, it does make the engine "work" a little harder lowering your gas mileage a little...uses more fuel to lug the engine

she is wrong..period

sorry im fired up today

infidel
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:09:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 1:10:09 PM EDT by Belfry_Express]
I routinely go 1 2 3 5

all u gotta do is make sure u are high enough in the gear and drop enough revs so you dont stress the clutch when u skip that next gear

my tranmission has 100k miles on it and the gears look like new

course I get it serviced and take care of it, but still

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:09:25 PM EDT
Whats wrong with third? The gears are spaced usually in a specific way to give better performance. It wouldnt hurt it but it will wear the tranny.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:12:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Belfry_Express:
I routinely go 1 2 3 5

Same here. Fourth is usually used for passing only.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:12:39 PM EDT
Start telling your ex-g/f that you can shift without using the clutch. Maybe you can even bet her something and teach her more about cars at the same time.

SBG
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:13:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 97guns:
on most cars for you to go from 2nd to 4th you would really need to wind out 2nd gear. if you dont have the rpm's high enough in second, when you shift to 4th youll be seriously bogging down the engine - not good for the motor or the clutch

Exactly...not good at all to have the engine bogging down in too high of a gear...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:14:01 PM EDT
I drive a 6 speed and usually start in 2nd or 3rd if I am not starting up a hill. 1st is to low unless I am pulling something with some weight. Shouldnt hurt a thing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:14:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By turbo_infidel:
Absolutley not!

it physically cannot hurt anything internally in the transmission, it does make the engine "work" a little harder lowering your gas mileage a little...uses more fuel to lug the engine

she is wrong..period

sorry im fired up today

infidel

Why do "she", "wrong" and "period" all fit together so naturally?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:16:34 PM EDT
Skipping gears is common on big rigs depending on if they are loaded and what speed they want to travel at.

I had a 6 speed, have but it is broken for now, camaro z28 and it came with a skip shift from the factory to help gas mileage. I have a sort of heavy foot so I never had a problem with that engaging.

Overall the tranny does not care what you do. If you are revving the heck out of 2nd or lugging the engine in 4th, you should use 3rd. But in most cases today's trannies have extra gears that are not always needed.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:22:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dv8xbox:
So I had a "discussion" with my X g/f about shifting gears when i am driving and just cruising I usually go in this order : 1st , 2nd then just pop it in 4th .

She told me it is bad on the Transmission to skip gears. Is that true?

And please explain why either way ..

Tell her since she is an X she lost all say in the subject of "stick shifting".
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:24:17 PM EDT
I had a close ratio 4 speed behind a 390. I could easily go from 1 to 4, or any combination.

You will not harm the transmission, and less shifting will cause less wear on the shift dogs, which frequently wear out. (Unless you bog and grind things)

.........who let the dogs out!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 1:25:14 PM EDT by fight4yourrights]
General Motors doesnt' disagree with you, and they have to warranty the stuff.

My Trans Am WS6 and my Corvette both have a forced Skip Shift from 1st gear to 4th gear!!!

I have to keep outside a certain rpm range to avoid being forced into this shift.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:24:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 1:37:29 PM EDT by glimmerman68]
I used to have an 83 Camaro with a 305 5spd and a 3.73 rearend. I rarely used 1st or 3rd. I could take off in 2nd easily without bogging the engine. Occasionally, on a steep hill, I used 1st. If I was accellerating hard, I used 1st and 3rd.

All passenger car and truck transmissions, that I know of, are fully sychronized, facilitating upshifts and downshifts into any gear at anytime.

Your "ex" gf is smoking crack.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:25:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glimmerman68:

. I could take off in 1st easily without bogging the engine..

Uh, that IS what 1st gear is for.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:28:13 PM EDT
I don't think it hurts at all as long as you match RPMs. When I am getting on the freeway, sometimes I skip 4th and go right to 5th. I wind it up in 3rd so I can merge with traffic. Once I am in I can just cruise in 5th without bogging at all. Even in 3rd I am nowhere near the redline at 60mph. I wish 4th and 5th were a little taller, so I had more cruising gear. 1st is a little low as well, but I would wear on the clutch if I started in 2nd.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:38:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

Originally Posted By glimmerman68:

. I could take off in 1st easily without bogging the engine..

Uh, that IS what 1st gear is for.

Good job, you passed the test.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:50:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 1:51:41 PM EDT by 89grand]
OK, you've heard all the bullshit, now here's the truth.

<­BR>

89grand says "Yes, it's fine to skip any gear you want in a manual transmission, and on some cars you can even shift just fine without using the clutch".

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:55:40 PM EDT
No big deal at all.

My Wrangler hardly ever see's 1st... that's for pulling tree stumps and rolling up hills with no gas.

In fact, I can get that Jeep up to at least parking lot speeds without using any gas or any gear but 2nd.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:06:20 PM EDT
Ask her why it's "bad on the Transmission". People quoting ridiculous urban myths about how to shift gears generally have no idea why it's bad or exactly how it will hurt anything.

There's nothing wrong with shifting gears in any order you please. The transmission doesn't care, your only concern is engine RPMs. Higher RPMs usually means better performance but lower fuel economy, lower RPMs usually gives the opposite.

You might damage the syncros if you shift without the clutch and aren't matching RPMs. There's no way to wear the gears significantly, unless you're running the transmission without oil.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:11:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
General Motors doesnt' disagree with you, and they have to warranty the stuff.

My Trans Am WS6 and my Corvette both have a forced Skip Shift from 1st gear to 4th gear!!!

I have to keep outside a certain rpm range to avoid being forced into this shift.

I was going to mention that, thanks.

I frequently like to shift without the clutch. Upshifting is easier in than downshifting, but I can do that too.

A little time in a big rig, and everyone would be an expert "shifter."
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:18:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
Whats wrong with third? The gears are spaced usually in a specific way to give better performance. It wouldnt hurt it but it will wear the tranny.

I used to drive a Z28 with the 6 speed and it got to be real pain driving in city traffic and shifting between 6 gears (actually 4, the last two were OD and not needed in town) I had a decent rear end gear so I finally started skipping 1st and 3rd to cut down on the excess shifting. You will wear nothing out in the engine. As for the tanny, you will have less wear on the throwout bearing and master cylinder (hydraulic clutch) but could possibly wear the clutch itself if you "lug" the engine too much and cause it to slip...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:57:17 PM EDT
Start telling your ex-g/f that you can shift without using the clutch. Maybe you can even bet her something and teach her more about cars at the same time.

I can do with a 13 speed Road Ranger. Measly 4 or 5 gears is a pc of cake.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:48:59 AM EDT
Skip shift is almost standard on all GM Tremmac 6 speed, with OD and Super OD. GM used the skip shift to pass CAFE test for their V8 pony and sports cars...Camaro, Firebird, GTO, Corvette, and thats is why they are in their cars. Anybody knows if the Viper, Mustangs, and Cobras have skip shift, they also use the Tremmac 6 speed tranny. I hated the skip shift especially in the city, during heavy traffic, where the engine normally rev. at the activation range. Now I have my computer re-programmed, the skip shift option is turned off.

As for skipping gear, there is nothing wrong, on both up and down shift, as long as the driver matches up the rpm, or else it will prematurelly wear out the clutch. The tranny and gears should not have any problem.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:50:25 AM EDT
I do that sometimes. Your GF is an idiot. It is in no way bad for the transmission.
Top Top