Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2004 9:36:27 AM EDT
My car is a six cylinder, five speed that red lines at 6,000rpm. I like to drive at 3-3,500rpm where the power is, mileage be damned. That puts me in third at 60mph. I very rareley use fifth gear unless I'm on a long trip.
How do you guys drive? Short shift for mileage or wind it out for power?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
i try and see how fast I can get into the upper gears. i'm usually in 5th at 45mph, depedning on the road. if i need power i can downshift.

the other day i was driving along listening to a new band. i had the radio up real loud so i couldn't hear the engine. was going about 50 in 3rd gear. i bet i could have watched the gas needle go down....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a short shifter 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Wind it out for power.

I drive a Toyota 4WD with a 22RE (F/I 4 banger for the unitiated) and though I can short shift without a load, I need to wind it out whenever I have a load that exceeds 300-400LB.

When I head up to the high country here there's times when I have to ride 3rd gear for a couple of miles up some hills.

If I pay strict attention I can use 5th regularly as long as I don't let my speed fall below 70MPH, even at higher altitudes (5500ft+)
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#4]
For gas mileage.  I will use 1,2, and sometimes skip 3 and 4 right into 5
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a little four banger, and drive in the city. I have to wind it out for power, else I'll get run over by Suzie S0kkermom in her Escalade.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I drive in a manner which is within the responsible operating ranges for my Miata.  Also, I have to pay all of my bills, so I treat my vehicles with respect.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the to keep the motor in the heart of its power band.

Oh!!  And while we are on the subject, it drives me crazy when people downshift to a stop.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Left seat, one hand on wheel other on shifter, right foot squashing pedal.

If I KNOW I am going a long distance I don't really hit it too hard, just to go longer between stops.  Locally, I ruin my mileage because I hate to sit and putter around.  I drive a 2001 Maxima with a couple mods, nothing ricey. No loud pipe or wing.  
My best time from Woodstock GA to Coconut Grove/ Miami Fl, 8 hours 49 minutes 667 miles by Garmin GPS.  ONE stop for gas halfway.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I rarely downshift to stop, unless it's an emergency. Really not needed and likely puts extra wear on the clutch parts and the higher revs on the motor aren't needed.

Now if I had a vehicle with a bored-out 327, Hookers, etc. it might occasionally be a different story...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Oh!!  And while we are on the subject, it drives me crazy when people downshift to a stop.

I do downshift, except I match the RPM to the speed I am driving to be nice to my clutch and tranny and slow gently, not just drop the clutch into the next lower gear.  My car does not jerk around or suddenly slow, but it saves on brake wear.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm a short shifter 90% of the time.

+1

I've got the Honda Hybrid Civic.

Short shifting definitely improves the fuel efficiency.

Avg 40 MPG with combo of city and hi-way.  Avg 50 mpg strictly hi-way.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#13]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

Oh!! And while we are on the subject, it drives me crazy when people downshift to a stop.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do downshift, except I match the RPM to the speed I am driving to be nice to my clutch and tranny and slow gently, not just drop the clutch into the next lower gear. My car does not jerk around or suddenly slow, but it saves on brake wear.

+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do downshift, except I match the RPM to the speed I am driving to be nice to my clutch and tranny and slow gently, not just drop the clutch into the next lower gear.  My car does not jerk around or suddenly slow, but it saves on brake wear.

I understand downshifting if you can see that you will be slowing down, but if it is clear that you are coming to a stop why use the clutch and the tranny to slow the car at all?  You have to agree that using the clutch and tranny to slow the car, even if done very smoothly, puts some wear on those parts.  Why put wear on a clutch and tranny to save brake wear?  That doesn't make sense.  Brakes are cheap, clutches and trannies are not.  Use the brakes to slow the car, thats what they are there for.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#15]
+1

The front brakes on my Toyota are a breeze to replace-I don't even need to remove the calipers to do it. (I haven't had to have the rotors turned in 3 years) Front pads cost me $15 for semi metallic.

The backs are drums and a little tougher but still not too bad.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I try to maximize fuel economy.  In the city, I only use 1st  from a complete stop and usually shift directly from 2nd to 5th.  Kind of like the lock-out gate in the Corvette's shifter which forces the shift directly into top gear.

I also try and avoid using the clutch by matching RPMs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#17]
If you don't down shift, you are either lazy or don't know haw to drive a stick.  that is my opinion.

When you down shift to stop the car always has power in the event you need it, like in an emergency.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
+1

The front brakes on my Toyota are a breeze to replace-I don't even need to remove the calipers to do it. (I haven't had to have the rotors turned in 3 years) Front pads cost me $15 for semi metallic.

The backs are drums and a little tougher but still not too bad.

Exactly.  And how much does it cost to replace your clutch?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I wind it out, then drop into overdrive to cruise.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Wind it out for power.

I drive a Toyota 4WD with a 22RE (F/I 4 banger for the unitiated) and though I can short shift without a load, I need to wind it out whenever I have a load that exceeds 300-400LB.

When I head up to the high country here there's times when I have to ride 3rd gear for a couple of miles up some hills.

If I pay strict attention I can use 5th regularly as long as I don't let my speed fall below 70MPH, even at higher altitudes (5500ft+)

+1  ...except for the altitude stuff.
1994 4x4, 5 speed, 4 cyl 22RE
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Normal driving I wind the engine out to 1K under red line in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears if needed. This is for acceleration since you never know when you are going to need to get the fuck out of the way.

I never lug my engine.

For freeway driving I'll accelerate in 1,2,3, then skip 4th and go right to 5th.

Around town I'll stay one gear above the engines torque band unless I am accelerating.

I'll downshift to stop signs / stop lights, I got caught once (a long time ago) in 5th gear while coming to a stop. As I was crossing an intersection a car came across the intersection.
I had enough time to floor it and wham, he clipped the tail of the car. Had I been in 3rd or 2nd I would have accelerated away from him and he would have never hit me.

Oh yea, I have a Nissan 4 banger Frontier.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand downshifting if you can see that you will be slowing down, but if it is clear that you are coming to a stop why use the clutch and the tranny to slow the car at all?  You have to agree that using the clutch and tranny to slow the car, even if done very smoothly, puts some wear on those parts.  Why put wear on a clutch and tranny to save brake wear?  That doesn't make sense.  Brakes are cheap, clutches and trannies are not.  Use the brakes to slow the car, thats what they are there for.

Exactly, I don't use the clutch/tranny to slow down unless it's wet, snowy/slippery on the roads. Otherwise I'd rather not put the wear and tear on those parts. The brakes are cheap and easy to replace.

As far as accelerating goes, I drive a 4-banger 2004 Honda Accord and when I'm driving conservatively I shift at around 2800-3000 RPM. If I really want ot get up and go I wind it out to 6000. That will get me to 60mph in 2nd at 5000 fairly quick. It's no speed demon or anything, but decent.

ETA: I cruise at around 2k, except on the highway only because going 60 in 5th I'm already at about 2200 and if I'm on the interstate doing 75 I'm at almost 3000.  Basically what MattQ said below. I cruise in the highest possible gear to save gas, so long as the engine isn't bogging.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If you don't down shift, you are either lazy or don't know haw to drive a stick.  that is my opinion.

When you down shift to stop the car always has power in the event you need it, like in an emergency.

Ok, if thats why you downshift to a stop, I can understand that.  Typically though, you aren't going to need more power when you are coming to a stop, even in an emergnacy situation.  And I can get it in gear faster than most automatics would respond to throttle input.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#24]
6 cylinder 6 speed that redlines around 6800.  

For normal daily driving, I shift around 3000-3500 rpm.   The torque band is on the steep incline at that point, and if I punch it in low gear around 4000rpm, the torque doubles what it was at 3000, so it feels like a turbocharger kicking in.  

When I cruise, I try to keep it in whatever gear keeps the revs around 2500-3000.  

Driving in lower gear at higher revs while just cruising is a waste of gas.  Get to what speed you want to go, and then get in a high gear.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#25]
2000 GMC Sonoma 4 banger... 4:10gears   The 4banger makes power at around 4500 to 5500 rpms.. I pretty much only rev it that high when entering a highway.

Most highways that still have a 55mph limit, I pretty much stay in 4th gear,  at 65 or better I use 5th.  

Around town I usually fun first up to about 2800rpm and grab second and run that to about 3500rpm.  I usually dont go above 3rd in town.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I go between 3,000 and 5,500.  My car redlines high.  I drive quick and accelerate quick, and I still get over 27mpg.  Usually over 30mpg.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Lugging an engine is much worse for it than higher rpms (within design limits of course).  

Having said that, I get to the highest gear available that can sustain my speed.  If I need more power, I downshift.  

I cruise along at 35, for example, in 3rd or 4th with the rpms around 2500-2700 in my little Honda.  On the highway, at 65, 5th will get you around 2700 rpms.  

Once in a while I will catch myself in too low of a gear and not even notice because the Honda's motor is Singer Sewing Machine Smooth.  

Oh, and I get 33-35 combined city/highway and near 40 highway.  Never less than 30 even for slow stop and go.  This is with 180,000 miles too.  

Light weight makes right.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#29]
My Nissan is pretty gutless. Matter of fact, it probably couldn't pull the tail off a squirrel with 100 yds of nylon rope and a running start. I go for all the rev's I can get.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The main times when I downshift are when I can see that I might make it to the light when it changes and I don't have to waste time getting in the right gear to accelerate, I can just hit the gas.  That is one reason I got rid of the auto, I like being able to choose the correct gear for conditions and traffic, etc.  It is less slowing down and more of just being in the right gear if I need it.  Plus it really bothers tailgaters.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why does it bother you? It's not costing you anything.

I normally don't downshift to stop.. but I do tend to coast down before I start to apply the brakes.  Having 4.10 gears slows me down pretty quick regardless of the gear I'm in.

If someone in front of me downshifts to stop, I just take my foot of the gas..  its not a big deal if you're not following too closely, and actually paying attention, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I have little turbo dodges, and I short shift them, as it really saves on gas. However when I wind it out, it is go time!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#33]
I short shift all the time...I always utilize engine braking sometimes...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#34]
if you can heel toe downshifting to slow down doesn't wear the clutch. I ocassionally race our superformance Cobra 427 and do that a lot to keep the brakes from getting real hot and fading.  my daily driver is a bimmer 5 series and i treat her real nice. if i want to go fast it 1st, 2nd, then skip to 4th or 5th, unless its highway onramp then i skip fourth and not third.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#36]
In my WRX, the turbo doesn't really kick in until about 3,000-3,500 so I usually get up to 4,000-5,000 when driving casually and redline or near when driving a little more spirited.  I make a long trip 2 times a week.  One weekend they had a TON of cops out.  It was advertised, etc. that they were cracking down on seatbeat use.  Or lack thereof.  At any rate, I drove slow on that trip and was surprised by how much less gas I used.  Like a 1/4 tank less.  It was a once time event.

I was behind this slow late model Impala one morning on the way to work and turned the corner.  I swung out to the left lane and took off, full throttle.  Left him in the dust.  It was an unmarked cop car.  He asked me if I was in a hurry, and I said no, just thought I would wind it out...guess that wasn't a good idea.  He agreed that it wasn't a good idea.  Let me off, which was nice of him.  He's got nothing on my WRX
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a 5.0 Mustang, and I usually drive around 1500-2500 rpms. There's enough torque there to pull ahead of most cars. Unfortunately, the stock engine makes mostly noise above 5000.

I usually don't downshift when stopping, but I do it if I know I'm just slowing down some and will have to accelerate more.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#39]
I used to drive a 92 Saturn SC 2 1.9L Twin Cam. I used to wind the lil SOB all the way to redline and shift. I downshifted to stops sometimes, never too hard though unless necessary. I got ~33mpg even driving it like an asshole.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#40]
2001 Ford F150 V6 5 speed and it redlines about "Ti" on the 'do re mi' scale!

I just try to get it to 70'ish or whatever the speed limit is and hold her steady!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Short shifter here.

'94 4cyl Ford Ranger
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I hog on my big-block Satellite all the time. The A833 4speed transmission has been half crash-boxed, so mostly I bang-shift it.  The engine is rev-limited at 7000rpm, I typically shift between 4500 and 5500 rpm.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I short shift all the time...I always utilize engine braking sometimes...

I used to engine brake, but have decided it is far cheaper to replace brake parts than clutch parts or have a motor rebuilt.

Hooray for common sense!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I wind it out....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Dodge Stealth R/T TT - V-6 7000 rpm redline - Never below 3k unless cruising on open road in 5th, otherwise 3rd or 4th on freeway (70-90 mph)

Porsche 986 Boxster S - Flat-6 7500 rpm redline - same as Stealth except one extra gear.

Porsche 914-6 - Flat-6 11,000 rpm redline - Wound it to 9k every so often, took it redline once and almost crapped in my pants thinking of rocker arm destruction (followed by piston / valve intimate relations). Mostly hung around 5k unless driving on freeway on a long trip, then it was 3500 in fifth.

CW
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#46]
In my lead-footed days, my motto was:

"IF YOU CAN'T FIND 'EM, GRIND 'EM!!"
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#47]
370 hp at the crank, 320 rwhp.

Don't need to rev, but I will for fun.  

but 6th gear is mainly for freeway cruising
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I paid alot of money, and spent alot of time making my truck as powerful as it is now. With 335rwhp, I rev it out most of the time. My turbocharger loves it
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Usually 10-11K in the first 5  then snik into 6th to cruise...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top