Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2005 2:37:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 2:57:05 AM EDT by 22bad]
Mansour El-Kikhia: Singling out Muslims is un-American
08/05/2005
San Antonio Express-News
www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/columnists/melkikhia/stories/MYSA080505.02O.mansour.1c2c48f5.html
I received 400-plus e-mails responding to my column last week, "Arabs shouldn't have to apologize."

I do, however, need to apologize to all the readers who took the time to send feedback for my inability to respond to each of them individually.

Sadly, it hasn't been fun reading many of the messages. The content betrays unimaginable racism, hatred and ignorance. I never thought I would have such an experience in a society claiming to be civilized. (at least no one tried to cut off your head or blow you up)

In addition to the e-mails, I was contacted by a number of radio stations within and outside the United States. I was also invited to appear on a popular show on one of the networks. I declined because I am willing to fight the devil anywhere except in hell. (AND your position is untenable)

Some individuals wanted to convert me, while others wanted me to pack up and leave. Some threatened physical harm to me and all Muslims and Arabs. A reader took the opportunity to remind me "the dam is cracking" and the time of retribution is at hand.

Some of the readers were parroting a Washington Post column by Charles Krauthammer. His piece piqued my interest. Kraut-hammer, a psychiatrist-turned-columnist, advocates racial profiling and searches. His proposal for a secure transit system in New York and other parts of America is to search only Muslims and Arabs. He doesn't say how he will distinguish an Arab from a non-Arab or a Muslim from a non-Muslim, but he does say we all look the same.
(we can just use suicide bomber pics to guide us)

I find his solution applicable only if Arabs and Muslims are made to wear identifiers. Some in the United States would love to see the revival of such oppressive tactics and, perhaps, require all Arabs and Muslims to wear an insignia of some sort.

How fast we forget the lessons of history, where calamities are calamities only if they touch us. Politics does, indeed, make for strange bedfellows. Many Arabs, including me, would rather die than submit to such dishonorable nonsense. (that is what the suicide bombers said)

In all my years, I have rarely seen Islamic publications condemning or belittling Jesus Christ, his mother or his apostles. Nor have I seen any belittling Judaism, Moses or David. Indeed, to go further, I have never seen a mainstream publication in Arab or Muslim states condemning Christianity or Judaism. Even the majority of fundamentalist publications do not touch either negatively. However, a few do, but these remain on the fringes and many can only publish their diatribe outside the Arab world.
(You are either illiterate, lying, "mentally challenged" or a deaf mute)

In spite of what some say, America was never intended to be solely a Christian country. It was a land occupied by individuals running away from religious oppression. The Constitution separates church and state, and the first presidents can be described more as deists than adherents to any particular religion.
(we have freedom of religion here, unless you are a Christian)

Why, then, is religion being injected into the legal, political and educational systems? And, more important, why are we doing that at a time when we are urging Muslims to separate religion from politics and law? (we have freedom of religion here, unless you are a Christian)

This leads me to only one conclusion. In much of the Arab and Muslim worlds, religious societies are trying to change secular governments, while in the United States a religious government is trying to change a secular society.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:45:45 AM EDT

He has one point there, though.

Jews were made to wear yellow Stars of David in Nazi Germany.
He is basically asking is if Muslims should wear the Crescent Moon.

He is asking a good Question there.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:54:07 AM EDT
The fact that he is getting so many of these letters gives me great hope that at least all of America hasn't buried their heads in the sand like a stupid ostrich and that many know exactly who and what the enemy is here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:55:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 2:55:51 AM EDT by 22bad]

Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
users3.ev1.net/~texaslynn/Graphics/KickButt.gif

I think it is more like an attempt to place blame with the American "oppressors"
he is the only one I have heard\read that makes such a suggestion, besides..........
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:59:05 AM EDT
It will be impossible to do this based on Muslim only. Not all Muslims are fanatics, and not all Muslims are Arab. They run the gambit of African Muslims, Pacific Islander Muslims, Eastern Europe Muslims Ad infinitum. We just need to be profiling folks that have been blowing shit up. Including folks from SE Asia and the PI.

Gee, I can remember a time when profiling was just considered good detective work.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:00:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By soowah:
Gee, I can remember a time when profiling was just considered good detective work.

Heh
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:01:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
users3.ev1.net/~texaslynn/Graphics/KickButt.gif

Short answer: no. All i think peple are asking is a thorough and MEANINGFUL repudiation of the hate and exhortations to violence that pass as typical in the Religion of Peace. Which means rejecting money from Saudi Arabia, not apologizing for terrorists, and a serious move to change and reform Islam's tenets of violence against those who resist it.

No one can force Muslims to do these things, they have to do it themselves. But we can make life very unpleasant for them and otherwise law-abiding and peaceful Muslims if they refuse. Their choice: either keep with their bellicose attitudes towards infidels and suffer a lot of fallout; or learn to live with us like all the other religions of world have done.
Top Top