Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2002 6:31:22 PM EDT
In manskinds history, it seems the populations have fought and won their freedom,  them they get wise and allow themselves to be unarmed, and then their government or another government enslaves them.  
 What I'm asking is what is the longest freedom yrs a nation, civielization ect. have had before they are oppressed by their own or someone elses tryanical government.
  Our oun as an example.  for 200yrs the population has been armed an free.  Now there's a major push to disarm us. And lookig into our future sometime we'll let the gov disarm us.  And history has proven that the next step is the armed powerful gov becomes oppressive and tryanical till the people finally revolt.
 So, what are some of the yrs that peoples have unarmed themselves until they become enslaved?  JB
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't provide a specific answer to your question, but I believe that the actual dynamic is complicated. For example, in our case I don't think that a disarmed populace will result in an armed tackover by a tyrant. Rather, I think a disarmed American people will become used to relying upon state protection, and the process will be gradual and basically volentary. In fact, I'd say the process has been going on at least since the New Deal days, as more and more Americans sacrifise freedom for the "security" of government intervention.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security. They wanted a
comfortable life, and they lost it all -- security, comfort, and freedom.
When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to
give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from
responsibility then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again.
- --EDWARD GIBBON
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top