Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/4/2014 9:32:18 AM EDT
The only major difference i see dimensionally from the 9c is thickness but the reduced round count is a bother. The price is right

Worth the addition?

I like these Sigs. Better choice? Way more concealable but .380 Price is more than I want to spend but they seem to be good quality

I have shot both guns
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the 9c. the Shield is about 1/8" thinner and drops a lot of rounds... I didn't see the size difference as being worth it for me.

If I can hide the Shield, I can hide the 9c.

If the Shields were the size of Kahrs or Keltec PF9 or the Sig 938 or something, it would have been a sure purchase for me.

Edit to change "'" to """
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my M&P9c however, for me it is easy to CC in the winter when i am wearing bulky clothing and in the summer i feel like I'm "printing" constantly.

If i had the cash i would like to get a M&P shield for summer carry.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The 9c for me is JUST over the size of being comfortable. I am a fatass at 225 6' but I still feel like the 9c is too bulky.
It's not terrible but it is enough that I don't grab it and carry every time. No point in having a carry gun you won't reliably carry.

I'm one of those guys who doesn't like the Glock grip angle so I am ruling out Glock offerings
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry an M&P Shield 9, love it.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I've owned both and prefer the Shield.  When clothing/weather permits I'll carry something bigger in 10mm anyway, so the Shield is more of a spring/summer gun for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my M&P9c however, for me it is easy to CC in the winter when i am wearing bulky clothing and in the summer i feel like I'm "printing" constantly.

View Quote

I was thinking the same except all the things that make a 9c print are still there. top to bottom (there the grip prints) is actually taller on a Shield.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Serious question...do you guys live in states where "printing" is a violation of some law or is it more of a discretion thing?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I like these Sigs. Better choice? Way more concealable but .380 Price is more than I want to spend but they seem to be good quality

I have shot both guns
View Quote

Sig makes that same gun in 9mm. The 938 (instead of the 238 you have pictured/described). They can be had on PSA for around $540. PSA 938
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#9]
sold my 40c for a shield 9.  selling my shield 9 for a glock 17.

:shrug
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only major difference i see dimensionally from the 9c is thickness but the reduced round count is a bother. The price is right

Worth the addition?

http://thrumylens.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/FY7A0260-Edit.jpg

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/SIG_238-380-HDW.jpg

I have shot both guns
View Quote

If you're not going to double-stack look at the Sig P938 which is almost the same as the 238 just in nine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Serious question...do you guys live in states where "printing" is a violation of some law or is it more of a discretion thing?
View Quote

Not that I'm aware of here in VA (VA guys, am I right?).

I just don't want attention from anyone at all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.  Great carry and conceal pistol
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Glock 26 and a Shield 9 and the Shield is easier to conceal and carry in the summer months.  In cooler weather with a jacket or sweatshirt it doesn't matter for printing but the thin profile of the Shield makes it more comfortable to carry IMO.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know about you but to me, the Shield being 1/8" thinner makes a BIG difference for concealed carry. IMO, the low round count isn't that much of a concern since I don't plan on running into a gun battle. It's mainly for defensive purposes. I have a Shield 40 and it's a great weapon!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Alot of it depends on how you are built and how your clothes fit.

If you're already able to easily conceal the MP9c, I wouldn't put much priority on picking up the shield. I do like having a single stack for the occasional wardrobe requirement that makes it difficult to conceal a double stack. For me, that's a tucked in dress shirt.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a shield it carried well and was light. But for some reason I switched back to a full size 9.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If the Shields were the size of Kahrs or Keltec PF9 or the Sig 938 or something, it would have been a sure purchase for me.
View Quote

As a guy that owned a PF9 and a Shield at the same time...sounds like you skipped a purchase.  They are identical in size.  The Shield is just 100x more comfortable to shoot!

I swapped from a M&P9c to a Shield.  I can conceal the Shield much more easily and my normal clothing doesnt have to change as drastically as it did with the 9c.  If I can conceal it better, Im less worried about it, and Im going to carry more often.  I felt that was a big enough win.  Sold the 9c.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never once spotted anyone printing here in MO...I look constantly...I think the fear or printing is way overblown.  Your average sheep simply wouldn't have a clue even if you were, so I stopped caring about it to a point.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've never once spotted anyone printing here in MO...I look constantly...I think the fear or printing is way overblown.  Your average sheep simply wouldn't have a clue even if you were, so I stopped caring about it to a point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here in TX, printing isn't illegal. You basically have to intentionally open carry a pistol to violate the law.

I agree the fear of printing is overblown. I always thought I was printing. I would ask family and friends if they could see it. They never knew until I told them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As a guy that owned a PF9 and a Shield at the same time...sounds like you skipped a purchase.  They are identical in size.  The Shield is just 100x more comfortable to shoot!

I swapped from a M&P9c to a Shield.  I can conceal the Shield much more easily and my normal clothing doesnt have to change as drastically as it did with the 9c.  If I can conceal it better, Im less worried about it, and Im going to carry more often.  I felt that was a big enough win.  Sold the 9c.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sold my PF9 before I got my 9c so that is running off memory.... I did buy a Kahr CM9 which I still have.  It is noticeably smaller than the Shield and the 9c.  The Shield is just hair too large for me to consider it in the same class as the pocket 9/40s.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#21]
It's my summer carry gun.

Thinner, lighter gun for thinner, lighter clothing.  Now that it's starting to cool off, it's full size carry season.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Had a Shield but never got the warm and fuzzies from it. Sold it and now carry a full size 9.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Look at the P938... great carry pistol and can be comfortably carried in a pocket holster.

That being said, my buddy has a Shield and I CC'ed a 9c for a while, I preferred the 9c's thickness and higher capacity.  The size difference was almost negligible once they were in holsters.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I have all three sizes M&P9. I never carry the full size. Rarely carried the Shield. So that leaves the 9c. With a good holster and belt, the difference in size doesn't matter. If I need something smaller than the 9c, then I need something really small like the LCP or P238.

So I "gave" my wife the Shield which she carries. Fits her hands well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I was shopping hardcore for a shield when they first released.

Finally found one at the LGS, and the dealer did a side by side comparison of it and the 9c.  Well, yeah, the 9c would be a better choice.  Especially since the Shield isn't really a pocket carry gun, which is what I was wanting.  (Wanted to upgrade from my LCP to a 9mm).  I wound up going home with a PF9.  (Which, isn't a real good pocket gun either, size wise.)  Maybe I should go trade the PF9 in on a 9c....
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd carry the 9c and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I carry a 9c with spare full size mag(s).
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Kahr P380 or Ruger LCP.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure which, if any, states have a law against printing.  I know it's not good to do....

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I carry a M&P 9c  and am looking really hard at getting a Shield.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Personally I give 0 fucks about printing. It's a symptom of bulkiness though
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#33]
The 9c is almost pointless compared to the Shield.

Either go with the Shield or get something truly thinner like the LC9 or drop down to the LCP.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The 9c for me is JUST over the size of being comfortable. I am a fatass at 225 6' but I still feel like the 9c is too bulky.
It's not terrible but it is enough that I don't grab it and carry every time. No point in having a carry gun you won't reliably carry.

I'm one of those guys who doesn't like the Glock grip angle so I am ruling out Glock offerings
View Quote

It depends on what you get used to.  I'm a bigger fatass at 6' 235lbs, and I carry an M&P40 fullsize every day (used to carry a G23 before that.)  But I've been CC'ing every day for 12 years now, so my body has formed it self around the offending lump of plastic and steel at the 3 o'clock.  Don't even notice it most days, and I still prefer and use horsehide holsters over kydex.  You just have to "power through" those first few weeks where it feels way to big and uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Either go with the Shield or get something truly thinner like the LC9 or drop down to the LCP.
View Quote

I respectively disagree.
They all have a place but id rather have a full size, compact, and 642. Skipping the shield. I just need a 642
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#36]

It's always worth it to buy another gun.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you're not going to double-stack look at the Sig P938 which is almost the same as the 238 just in nine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth the addition?

http://thrumylens.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/FY7A0260-Edit.jpg

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/SIG_238-380-HDW.jpg

I have shot both guns

To the guys who suggested the 938 THANKS!
I had no idea they existed. I'm going to add this to the top of my list to consider
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I respectively disagree.
They all have a place but id rather have a full size, compact, and 642. Skipping the shield. I just need a 642
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I respectively disagree.

I'd prefer the shield if owned the S&W autos because the magazines interchange with the full size.
A full size magazine for the reload is just as easy to conceal as a compact.

The new 9mm Ruger LCR is on my buy list.  S&W 9mm revolvers are unobtanium.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same except all the things that make a 9c print are still there. top to bottom (there the grip prints) is actually taller on a Shield.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy gets it. The 9c is the better fun for waist carry as it prints about the same as a Shield. The Shield would work better in a pocket, but is too heavy for frequent pocket carry. OP, nothing wrong with .380 with a decent round. Not my first choice in caliber, but the Lehigh Defense XP appears to be a decent performer in .380.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#40]
9c for nightstand

shield for carry
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'd prefer the shield if owned the S&W autos because the magazines interchange with the full size.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I respectively disagree.

What I would like to know is just how well will a good hollow point bullet open up coming out of that Ruger's sub two inch barrel??
This would be a great project for the you tuber Shooting the bull 410 to test.
If they work out well I could seriously consider the 9mm LCR being in my pocket.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a 40c and a Bodyguard 380 for carry. I was interested in the Shield at first and while it feels thinner it doesn't point as well or feel as good in the hand to me. In a holster it wasn't as much of a difference so I passed and am planning on getting one for the wife instead.

IMO it's a great gun if you need to fill the gap between a full size and a pocket gun, but if you have a compact/sub-compact I don't feel it's necessary.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What I would like to know is just how well will a good hollow point bullet open up coming out of that Ruger's sub two inch barrel??
This would be a great project for the you tuber Shooting the bull 410 to test.
If they work out well I could seriously consider the 9mm LCR being in my pocket.
View Quote

That sounds like something we need to cajole Old_Painless into doing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a 9mm Shield.  Conceals well,  comfortable  to shoot. Love it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Just a general 'size' observation.

I carried a Glock 19 for 20 years concealed, keeping it hidden was never a problem. What made me switch to a single stack was weight not size. I went the Ruger LC9S route because its small but not so small its hard to shoot, has a good trigger, and weighs nothing. So I decided to downsize because of weight not size. A couple friends have the Shield and it's a good gun, I'll probably get one of those too eventually, just cus'

Ammunition is heavy and 8 or so more 9MM rounds on your hip is noticeable. I'm 6'5" 230lbs
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Which would you prefer to find in your hand in the unfortunate event things turn to shit and you have to use it in defense of your life?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I respectively disagree.

Huh? Since when did the shields magazines become interchangeable with the fullsize guns?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Get it from Top Gun. Currently $319 and you get a third magazine. Worth the addition, especially if coming from owning a M&P and M&P C
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have the 9c. the Shield is about 1/8" thinner and drops a lot of rounds... I didn't see the size difference as being worth it for me.

If I can hide the Shield, I can hide the 9c.

Edit to change "'" to """
View Quote

The GF carries a 9c, I carry a Shield. The 9c feels like a brick in your hand, worse than my 9 fullsize.

I don't ever regret getting my Shield. There's a difference between a gun that is 'small enough to carry', and so small you don't know you are wearing it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I can't bring myself to buy a Shield.

I've carried and competed double-stack M&P's so long that holding a shield just feels wrong. It would be like wearing my pants backwards.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top