Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 7:43:33 PM EDT
If you use a Win8/10 laptop at home, you can chime in, too with your adaptor model number.

Here's the story:

My mother's husband has a 2 year old HP laptop that originally came with Windows 8.1 (HP 15-r132wm model).
Around a year ago, he started losing WIFI connectivity randomly enough that it became a problem (I'm assuming after a driver got updated or some such).
The problem started occuring with a 6 year old router.  I bought them a fairly well regarded Netgear router (in the 120 range) which replaced it at Christmas.  The problem still persisted.
It was annoying enough that he started pushing down the power button on the laptop hard enough (to restart the computer) that the button is starting to be difficult to use.
I attempted everything I could insofar as changing drivers and settings is concerned, but the problem persisted--I've tried every driver I could find (both older and newer) with no change in the situation.  In his frustration, he agreed to upgrade the computer to windows 10 after I did a factory reset on it with the hope that it would solve the problem--it didn't.

This is a well known issue for this model of HP laptop and the Realtek RTL8188EE WIFI adaptor that comes with it.  
Here's a 10 page post about people having the same/similar issues on the HP website:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Realtek-RTL8188EE-adapter-wifi-problem/td-p/4066638/page/2

Toshiba laptop users report the same problem.  This page suggests the following DNS settings changes that I attempted with no resolution to the problem:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1773834/slow-wireless-connection.html

If you're running Windows 8.1, the problem is accessing DNS thru your ISP service - because of DHCP and accessing DNS via the default gateway address. Windows 8.1 is not very tolerant of DNS timeouts or slow DNS.

1. Open a Command prompt as administrator.
Enter: ipconfig /all
Look at your DNS server setting - it's probably the default gateway address

2. Enter: netsh winsock reset

(Wndows sockets configuration (Winsock) can get corrupted for various reasons such as installation of networking software, or malware infection, or even by security apps. When Winsock corrupts, you'll run into networking errors like "Page cannot be displayed” error messages.)

3. Go to Network Connections and Adapter settings
Double click on your wireless adapter.
Click Properties.

In the window for the Network Tab: scroll down until you find IPV4.
Click Properties
Click the radio button for "Use the following DNS server addresses"
Enter the Google DNS servers: Preferred is 8.8.8.8 and Alternate is 8.8.4.4
Click OK

In the window for the Network Tab: scroll down until you find IPV6.
Click Properties
Click the radio button for "Use the following DNS server addresses"
Enter the Google DNS servers: Preferred is 2001:4860:4860::8888 and Alternate is:2001:4860:4860::8844
Click OK

4. Reboot your PC or laptop (needed because of the winsock reset)

It appears that someone using the same laptop/card had the same problem in linux, too.

About a month or so ago, I got fed up, and bought him a decent USB wifi adaptor to see if the problem would still persist--it didnt; the internet works continuously with this pairing on his computer.  The only problem is that their house was built in the late 40s, and IIRC has walls with that chicken-wire type mesh in it; the laptop using the usb adaptor in the living room gets him about 3-4Mb/s connectivity when he could probably get 20 if he was using an internal card with the wire antenna.

Soooo... To cut to the chase--I'd like to replace his internal wireless card with one that is known to work well with windows 8/10.
If you manage a fleet of laptops that are regularly expected to connect to the wifi (that run windows 8/10,) and keep stable connections in such a configuration, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me the model number of the WIFI card they are equipped with so that I can buy a reliable replacement.
Additionally, if some of you people out there in radio land have a win8/10 laptop that reliably connects (and stays connected) to wifi, I would appreciate it if you could post the model number of the card in the machine that you are using.

Thanks so much in advance.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top