Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 1:18:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 2:42:54 PM EST by Rustygun]
I am so close to finishing putting my bathroom back together. Today I was doing the final job rebuilding the toilet that was leaking. I installed all new parts inside the tank. When I put the tank on the commode everything seemed fine but then I noticed there was a tiny leak of water actually dripping down the threads of one of the screws that holds the tank to the commode.

This toilet is a Kohler and has three holes in the tank instead of two like most. I did not use the dedicated three hole Kohler triangular gasket between the tank and commode since that is not what was on it.

The set up on the bolt is metal washer under the head of the bolt, then rubber washer. On the bottom of the tank it is rubber washer then metal washer and nut. It is tight. I will say the bolts that came out of the tank have larger diameter heads and larger diameter rubber washers than the replacements.

So what is the answer? Glom a bunch of silicone around the hole and rubber washers? I would be finished except for this small leak.

_______

Thanks guys! I took off the washers I had put under the screw head in the tank and retightened everything with just a little love. Put it all back together and no leak! Hallelujah! I live with 4 women and we only had one bathroom there for a while. Getting this fixed really helped us. It has been a while since we started the bathroom redo
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:28:45 PM EST
the water is coming through between the head of the bolt and the metal washer
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:49:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By dave89iroc:
the water is coming through between the head of the bolt and the metal washer

Think I should just remove the metal washer? That would make sense.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:51:55 PM EST

should have a fat rubber washer inside the tank under the head

don't over tighten
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:07:13 PM EST
Top Top