Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2006 6:42:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#1]
90 yr. old coochie?? Damn, L.T., you sure can paint a picture with words.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#5]
lordtrader,

i think the problem you may be experiencing is the geographic proximity problem--not too many jobs for people with your skills exist outside of places such as nyc, chicago, san francisco, and boston. have you ever considered moving to nyc?

for what it's worth, i was hired by a wall street firm back in '03. although i'm no longer in the finance industry, i do know that hiring on wall street is still going on like gangbusters. banks and other financial services firms simply can't hire enough people to fill the need for ipos, corporate m&a advisory activity, and institutional flow trading execution. bonuses for finance professionals have increased dramatically year-over-year since '03, and we're now looking at bonus payouts which rival the payouts you'd see back in the tech boom of the late 90s. in addition, to cap all this off, private equity firms and hedge funds are also on track to another year of record fund raising from investors, which means that more bankers will be needed to advise on deals and more traders will be needed to manage clients' liquidity and create a market for secondary trading.

basically, long story short, anyone who's in nyc and wants a job has one. the job may not be the individual's "dream job" in finance, but it's a good paying job in finance nonetheless.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#6]
also, btw, have you ever considered becoming a financial advisor or private banker with the likes of a firm like ubs, jpmorgan, bofa, etc?

being a financial advisor or private banker (read: NOT A STOCKBROKER) would in many cases be somewhat similar to being a fixed income trader. although you wouldn't necessarily be pricing trades or creating positions for securities, you would be helping clients to execute equity, fixed income, and derivative trades through your firm's trading unit.

the key advantage to this type of career is the fact that i) you can work in almost any major big city, and ii) it's a career path that's likely to be lucrative for years to come.

if you've been following financial news, you know that there's so much "stupid money" and "excess liquidity" floating around out there chasing the same limited stock of assets. why not try to cash in?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, I went from the financial tech industry, to firefighting, now I"m a underground coal miner in western colorado...  Hey, the money's decent and I actually have fun doing what I do.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#9]
LT-

I left banking (CMBS) 5 years ago....no regrets at all.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Beer Slayer,

I'll take a shower, shave and even wear a suit. Would you interview me?
Heck I'll polish my shoes and get a haircut!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Only thing I am considering right now is: CA I can stay for free, but will probably take me longer to find a job. NYC I can probably find a job fairly quick, but I do not know the city very well.  

Damn LT, you can stay with Wave out on Long Island and take the train to commute.  After all, he knows where to find the best lumpia and balut.

so we would be subject to more WAVE and LT photos, like the one in team a few months back
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Only thing I am considering right now is: CA I can stay for free, but will probably take me longer to find a job. NYC I can probably find a job fairly quick, but I do not know the city very well.  

Damn LT, you can stay with Wave out on Long Island and take the train to commute.  After all, he knows where to find the best lumpia and balut.

trust me you dont want any of that! i used to call it "mystery meat" BLECH! (besides LT youd have to share a bed with him and he snores!)

lordtrader, i wish you the best of luck and hang in there.........i wish i had something better to say but things will get better......
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(besides LT youd have to share a bed with him and he snores!)

lordtrader, i wish you the best of luck and hang in there.........i wish i had something better to say but things will get better......

Yeah I know. I hung out with him at Gunstock I. People couldn't tell us apart, even though I was better looking.

Thanks.

so ive heard

chin up!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 to the career change:

Engineers in demand
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Checking Reciepts at WALMART is a growth industry!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Too bad you are not in mining.  It is really hard to get fired or lose your job right now.  With 5 years experience, you are golden.  One real concern in the industry is that hot engineers are going to be promoted much faster than they can gain experience and crash and burn.

Everything is cyclical.  When you were flying high in 1999, I was making 10 bucks an hour doing construction because swinging a hammer was my only other real marketable skill, putting up with a dirtbag boss who should have been in prison.

If I did not step into that in between job that allowed me to settle down and buy a house, I would have gone to dental school.

Now, I am probably making more now than you were then.

I am getting sick of hearing you complain year after year about how hard it is to get a top flight job in your chosen field.  Put up with it or go to grad school.

If you want sympathy, look in the dictionary.  Why does the world owe you a living?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Heh, just try getting a job in Aviation Maintenance nowadays...
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#22]
LT, new lead headed your way via PM. I don't think this will suck as much as the last one, and may have some potential.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but yes, the job market blows.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Heh, just try getting a job in Aviation Maintenance nowadays...

I would think DynCorp would want someone with your skills.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Too bad you are not in mining.  It is really hard to get fired or lose your job right now.  With 5 years experience, you are golden.  One real concern in the industry is that hot engineers are going to be promoted much faster than they can gain experience and crash and burn.

Everything is cyclical.  When you were flying high in 1999, I was making 10 bucks an hour doing construction because swinging a hammer was my only other real marketable skill, putting up with a dirtbag boss who should have been in prison.

If I did not step into that in between job that allowed me to settle down and buy a house, I would have gone to dental school.

Now, I am probably making more now than you were then.

I am getting sick of hearing you complain year after year about how hard it is to get a top flight job in your chosen field.  Put up with it or go to grad school.

If you want sympathy, look in the dictionary.  Why does the world owe you a living?

Off topic:

How does one get into mining?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#25]
hell, i've thought of switching fields on many occasions--but to what?  i have some really esoteric, technical marketing experience with a concentration in CRM, database marketing and direct marketing in general.  those jobs (at least at my level) are very few and far between.  unfortunately, most DM ompanies are located in and around NYC, Boston etc.  i don't really want to live up there.  i'm not even kidding myself that i can find anything in my state, but ohio, penn, va et al seem to be pretty dried up.  i've got somebody pretty interested in me in utah, but damn..utah?  that's a haul from here and would seriously mess with the extended family dynamic (i have two small kids who are attached to their grandparents).

i'm not really in a position to go back to school right now, so what should i consider?  what is a growth industry that would be a (semi) easy transition?  i see a lot of jobs out there i know i could do, but they are asking for some VERY specific experience that i dont have.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:20:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Why I won't be worrying about a job anytime soon:

Engineers With Security Clearances --A Hot Commodity In Alabama
Space and Missile    08/21/2006

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - This center of government and military space and missile programs is looking for a few (thousand) good men and women: engineers with security clearances.

The unemployment rate for engineers in the Huntsville area would have to increase before reaching 1 percent, according to leaders of Teledyne Brown Engineering Inc., a unit of Teledyne Technologies Inc. [TDY].

Teledyne Brown alone has about 1,300 to 1,400 workers, mostly engineers, along with program management personnel.

But like other high-tech employers here, the company needs more hires with security clearances.

Since there are but a finite number of these people, this makes the hunt difficult. Worse, some other companies needing engineers with security clearances have hired them away from Teledyne Brown.

While tough for employers, this makes a great market for employees.

An engineer with experience can pull in $70,000 to $120,000 a year here, according to John R. Yanosky, vice president for missile systems with Teledyne Brown. The firm briefed reporters attending the 2006 Space and Missile Defense Conference and Exposition.

And that salary range is even better than it sounds, given the low cost of living in Huntsville.

While home prices range to $750,000 or even $1 million for a rowhouse on Capitol Hill in Washington, for example, a local Huntsville newspaper was filled with ads touting five- bedroom single family homes on large lots for less than $500,000. And traffic jams are rare.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:32:43 AM EDT
[#27]
That article makes me feel rich.  I only make about half the average salary for engineers, but a nice five bedroom house around here is only $150-$175,000.

-James
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:48:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
dude,

i hate to bring this up, but with the job hunting luck you have had in the last few years, have you considered a career change? Not saying it's you but it sounds like the market in that skill set is flooded and the good jobs are just almost impossible to get.

Yeah tried that. Got fired once for it. Just couldn't find anything that interested or challenged me. I am just in the wrong location from what I want to do. That should be rectified by years end. You will be seeing either NY or CA under my avatar soon.

i am very sorry. good luck
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Interesting thread............

I recently quit my job (3 weeks ago) in public accounting because I was tired of working for an unethical sob who broke the rules and put my license at risk w/ every audit or tax return he signed. So, I up and quit.

I am currently using 3 recruiters and I have only had 3 interviews in 3 weeks. Now, I am trying to get out of public accounting and get into private / industry accounting, but damn.......I expected a lot more interviews. My recruiters tell me that I can have a job next week if I want to go back to public, but I am so tired of selling my soul for a paycheck that I would like to get out.

In addition to looking at accounting jobs in industry, a buddy of mine got me an interview w/ a local finance company. The position was in commercial lending (read: sales). The job didn't look too bad. I would be using my accounting knowledge to sell the financing and leasing of equipment. I understand the leasing and financing aspect of the job, after auditing such transaction for years, but what keeps holding me back is the cold calls. Yes, the do buy "scrubbed" lists but until you build up your customers, its still cold calls.

Does anybody have any experience in Commercial Lending?

Thanks,
Accountant
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#30]
accountant,

you willing to relocate? i may have a lead for you in industry. pm me with your background and some details (i.e. big 4, regional, tax, audit, etc.).

fyi, i am NOT a headhunter. just a corporate finance guy working for a company looking for accountants.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like its time for a career change and/or a change in market location.  Some markets and regions are hotter than a firecracker right now.  Where I live - anyone with a heartbeat won't be unemployed for more than a few days.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
dude,

i hate to bring this up, but with the job hunting luck you have had in the last few years, have you considered a career change? Not saying it's you but it sounds like the market in that skill set is flooded and the good jobs are just almost impossible to get.

Yeah tried that. Got fired once for it. Just couldn't find anything that interested or challenged me. I am just in the wrong location from what I want to do. That should be rectified by years end. You will be seeing either NY or CA under my avatar soon.

Come to Florida, buy my house.

It's a lot like California except you can own machine guns.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#34]

You should of stood in the Navy, sir. Could of been commuting from San Diego to south Orange county. When would you have been retiring had you stayed? Besides the quality of hot ensigns is on the rise. LOL

This could of been you.

Fort Jackson, S.C. (March 23, 2006) - Executive Officer of Fleet Industrial Supply Center Det 206, Lt. Cmdr. Gordon Jones, and Ensign Tamara Williams assigned to Commander Pacific Fleet 0389, patrol with the Quick Reaction Force, during an Individual Augmentee Training Course at the McCrady Training Center. The Sailors are conducting training prior to deploying in support of the global war on terrorism, and Operation Noble Eagle. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 1st Class Timm Duckworth (RELEASED)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top