Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2015 10:16:39 AM EST

Link

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — A man sentenced to life in prison without parole on a marijuana-related charge walked out of a Missouri prison a free man on Tuesday, after spending two decades behind bars.

The release of Jeff Mizanskey followed years of lobbying from family, lawmakers and advocates for the legalization of marijuana, who argued that the sentence was too stiff.

Mizanskey was sentenced in 1996 after police said he conspired to sell 6 pounds of marijuana to a dealer connected to Mexican drug cartels. The life with no parole sentence was allowed under a Missouri law for persistent drug offenders; Mizanskey already had two drug convictions — one for possession and sale of marijuana in 1984 and another for possession in 1991.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:20:51 AM EST
20 years of that man's life, wasted.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:22:45 AM EST
Would I personally recommend a sentence of life for someone selling weed? No.
Do I think his sentence was crap and a waste of tax payer money? Yes.

But at the same time, I have zero fucks to give for someone who repeatedly broke the laws of their time, knowing full well what the consequences could be. Life does not have a reset button, and we should all be playing for keeps. Don't cry when you're hand gets caught in the cookie jar, and ask for a do-over. It's the same type of emotional logic the FSA have with regard to the benefits they think society owes them for their lot in life - never mind they made the choices which culminated into their particular situation.

I feel bad for this guy's family. Not for him.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:45:47 AM EST
My question has always been was there more to this then dealing pot?

He might have been doing more but this is all they could convict him of.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:46:03 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DangerJ:
View Quote

Yes...

just think what he could have contributed to society if he continued his association with Mexican drug cartels!

We all know the cartels have only been involved in victim-less distribution of harmless drugs!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:47:47 AM EST
View Quote

more than that. 20 years in prison changes a person
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:49:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By DasRonin:

Yes...

just think what he could have contributed to society if he continued his association with Mexican drug cartels!

We all know the cartels have only been involved in victim-less distribution of harmless drugs!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes...

what was a Mexican cartel doing buying dope from him?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:50:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By TheNamelessOne:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheNamelessOne:

Yes...

So they could smuggle it into the US and sell it
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:52:17 AM EST
The will of the people - the jury, nullified.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:55:11 AM EST
I think I signed a change.org petition over this. Was he a criminal....yes. Did the sentence fit the crime.......no. Were there other charges......no idea - but I'm pretty sure they would have been vetted before his release.

Most murderers get less.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:59:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
View Quote

Maybe, was the jury informed that by finding him guilty under the 3 strikes law, that he would spend life in prison....probably not. If we want to talk about will of the poeple, then perhaps they should decide the sentence, rather than mandatory guidelines.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:01:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 11:03:01 AM EST by longhorn77]
Originally Posted By shark101au:

Maybe, was the jury informed that by finding him guilty under the 3 strikes law, that he would spend life in prison....probably not. If we want to talk about will of the poeple, then perhaps they should decide the sentence, rather than mandatory guidelines.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shark101au:
Originally Posted By mousehunter:

It wasn't his 1st rodeo, so he knew the consequences of what he was doing, should he be caught. He also wasn't selling dime bags to high school or college kids - he was busted with something like 6#s. Like I said in an earlier post, he knew the stakes, and he got caught. It's his failure.

ETA - he judged the personal risks sufficient at the time of his actions to continue his activities. So again, no hurt feels here...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:02:13 AM EST
20 years of his life wasted for a plant. Good thing they had him locked up, think about all those drug users that would be giggling at cartoons and eating bags of chips if he wasn't locked up!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:05:16 AM EST
The guy who killed my father was sentenced to less time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:06:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

View Quote

That is a travesty. But, not related to this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:14:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By longhorn77:
Would I personally recommend a sentence of life for someone selling weed? No.
Do I think his sentence was crap and a waste of tax payer money? Yes.

But at the same time, I have zero fucks to give for someone who repeatedly broke the laws of their time, knowing full well what the consequences could be. Life does not have a reset button, and we should all be playing for keeps. Don't cry when you're hand gets caught in the cookie jar, and ask for a do-over. It's the same type of emotional logic the FSA have with regard to the benefits they think society owes them for their lot in life - never mind they made the choices which culminated into their particular situation.

I feel bad for this guy's family. Not for him.

View Quote

I agree with this.

I imagine most people who break the law do so knowing full well the illegality of their actions as well as the possible consequences. I also imagine he knew that if he got caught, he could spend time in jail, but did it anyway believing it was unlikely it would amount to any substantial time. He gambled and lost.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:19:45 AM EST

View All Quotes

I've known a few murderers in my lifetime 1 got 6 years ,beat a guy pretty much to death,shot him twice in the head and ran back and forth over him in his car. got 6 years
Another beat a guy to death in a one sided bar room brawl.4 years he served
Last one killed his ex,8 years

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:21:46 AM EST

Yes...

View All Quotes

Yes...

Probably would have been a successful businessman if it weren't for the bullshit laws

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:22:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 11:41:12 AM EST by runcible]
Originally Posted By shastacles:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shastacles:

He's an institutional man now.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:25:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 11:26:26 AM EST by longhorn77]
Originally Posted By ilikeporkchops:
I've known a few murderers in my lifetime 1 got 6 years ,beat a guy pretty much to death,shot him twice in the head and ran back and forth over him in his car. got 6 years

View All Quotes

At face value, based on that information, each of those sentences sound way too light.

I just don't understand the comparison to this guy, or his sentence. This guy was a repeat offender, and knew the consequences of his actions. He accepted that risk, continued the behavior, and got caught.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:25:50 AM EST
This ass was give two chances that why life in jail ..Don't sell weed and you will not go to jail..I love guns I have to follow the law even I think it wrong...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:29:02 AM EST

At face value, based on that information, each of those sentences sound way too light.

I just don't understand the comparison to this guy, or his sentence. This guy was a repeat offender, and knew the consequences of his actions. He accepted that risk, continued the behavior, and got caught.

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/82657_f520.jpg
View All Quotes

I know what you're saying but the way sentences are handed out is rediculous sometimes
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:29:43 AM EST
Oh well, at least the arresting officers went home safe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:30:09 AM EST
I know what you're saying but the way sentences are handed out is rediculous sometimes
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:32:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By markmars:
My question has always been was there more to this then dealing pot?

He might have been doing more but this is all they could convict him of.
View Quote

You don't mind courts given harsher sentences simply because they couldn't convict on other charges?

"Fuck it. We couldn't get you on all charges. But you are going to do the time as if we did!"
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:36:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By AspiringRapper:
View Quote

Oh, so the cops held the trial?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:37:26 AM EST
Some additional information about my dad. He was crossing the street at 2 in the afternoon and killed by a. 349 drunk driver. The guy was a repeat offender .The max he could get is 15 years and he got the max. He actually drove towards dad because he was fixated on dad crossing the street. He did not give a shit and had zero remorse. He died in jail.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:38:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By AspiringRapper:
View Quote

Oh for fucks sake....the arresting officer didn't convict or sentence him. friggen GD simpletons.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:39:19 AM EST
Good
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:39:25 AM EST
20 years sounds like there was some retribution added to the punishment. He served some time for others that weren't caught. Example. There are crimes of opporunity and sentences of opportunity. Subjective justice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:40:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By RONINBUDO:
This ass was give two chances that why life in jail ..Don't sell weed and you will not go to jail..I love guns I have to follow the law even I think it wrong...
View Quote
Till that law is about guns?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:41:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hking:
20 years of his life wasted for a plant. Good thing they had him locked up, think about all those drug users that would be giggling at cartoons and eating bags of chips if he wasn't locked up!
View Quote

This. The "war on drugs" is as retarded as anything could even aspire to be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:42:17 AM EST
He will victimize some hapless citizen or several, ending up back in jail.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:49:44 AM EST
The law which put him away for life has since been changed.......
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:54:21 AM EST

View All Quotes

When people talk about society's moral compass being haywire and how we seem to devalue human life, they're usually talking about abortion or sex and violence on television or something like that, but when we started routinely elevating ownership of a substance above murder on the hierarchy of bad deeds, we crossed that line at a full sprint.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:56:10 AM EST
If I shoot three people on a corner because I want to sell this 'harmless plant' there instead of them, would I be in prison "just because of marijuana?"

Would I get the full measure of marijuana apologists clamoring for my release?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:56:28 AM EST
View Quote

Not to mention all the other lives wasted because by outlawing MJ, we CREATED the market that the cartels are exploiting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:57:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By FedDC:
View Quote
Maybe he'll move to Colorado where what he got life without parole for is done everyday, legally.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:01:47 PM EST
He wasn't buying pot. A friend of his was the buyer, and he drove the car. At one point he held the weed in his hands.

The whole buy was a sting operation to nab his friend. It's just that he had two prior convictions going back about 10 years. His friend, the actual buyer, got less time. He was collateral, an easy nab.

Hardly a high-level offender. His second conviction was over three ounces of pot, so we're talking a small ziploc bag.

He didn't use a firearm. He didn't evade, he didn't resist. He had no other sentence multipliers.

Was getting involved a dumb idea? Yes. Does it merit a heavy sentence? No way.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:02:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By fargo007:
If I shoot three people on a corner because I want to sell this 'harmless plant' there instead of them, would I be in prison "just because of marijuana?"

View Quote
If your aunt had a dick, she'd be your uncle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:29:52 PM EST
I am very sympathetic to those who are drug addicts and do not think they belong in jail, BUT, I have 0 fucks for drug dealers let them rot in jail.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:38:05 PM EST
He played a stupid game and won a really great prize. I have 0 sympathy for him. He knew what he was risking. I personally believe drugs should be decriminalized. Do I grow them? take them? nope. the reason? I don't want a Stupid Prize.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:33:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mullah_Atari:
Maybe he'll move to Colorado where what he got life without parole for is done everyday, legally.
View All Quotes

He didn't go to jail for weed. He went to jail because criminals don't care about the law. I've yet to see a criminal who was totally law abiding except for the one law they didn't like. He chose to commit felony crimes...he will continue.

More innocent people will end up victimized.

Jail isn't punishment. It just separates people who choose to break the law from those who don't...nothing more.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:37:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By runcible:
View All Quotes

And if he hadn't decided to commit a felony, he would have been free to eat all the cool ranch doritos he wanted.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:42:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By Hking:
View Quote

It was six pounds! It was a lot more than "a" plant.z
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:26:31 PM EST

He didn't go to jail for weed. He went to jail because criminals don't care about the law. I've yet to see a criminal who was totally law abiding except for the one law they didn't like. He chose to commit felony crimes...he will continue.

Jail isn't punishment. It just separates people who choose to break the law from those who don't...nothing more.
View All Quotes

I've yet to see a human being who was totally law abiding. You haven't either. If a law is stupid, lots of people are going to break it. You can't keep drugs out of prison; you're not keeping them out of a free country.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:39:13 PM EST
View Quote

...Sounds like the rest of it was spent being wasted.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:46:40 PM EST

Agreed
View All Quotes

Agreed

*ridiculous The root is ridicule.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:58:29 PM EST

And if he hadn't decided to commit a felony, he would have been free to eat all the cool ranch doritos he wanted.
View All Quotes

You can get those in prison ,so he most likely was eating all of those he wanted anyways
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:08:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 5:10:25 PM EST by mousehunter]
The case I was on:

Kid kidnaps underaged girl. Uses her as his sex slave for about 3 months - saying he will kill her if she tries to get away (does this pointing gun to her head-gun and ammo were exhibits). Keeps her high on coke, gives her herpies. She has a puppy, he all but beat it to death (lots of pictures of dog) - beat her up pretty well too (lots of pictures of that). He was dealing from the food court - targeting mostly tween age kids (hence his 14 year old sex slave).

Now here is the kicker. A teenage coke addict is a LOW credibility witness - DA only prosecutes on the drugs, which he confesses to. EVERYTHING else is only admitted in the punishment phase of the trial. I was the only jury member who thought he should NOT get parole.

I would really like to know the rest of the picture before I said life in prison was too harsh of punishment. I saw a girls life ruined on a "weed" case (or coke - but more weed than coke was found because police gave him over 30 minutes to flush his evidence during the bust).
---
this guy did not commit a felony. He committed and was convicted of committing it 3 times.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:15:35 PM EST
I thought GD was all for Three Strikes Laws to put multiple time offenders away and keep them out of society. Of course, that's only if the 3 strikes are for things GD determines to be really, really bad - and drug dealing apparently ain't one of those things...........
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top