Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/21/2012 6:37:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 6:50:52 PM EST by VA-gunnut]
FWIW Legal open carry just went into effect in OK at the beginning of the month.

here

OKLAHOMA CITY – An Oklahoma City man is arrested for an unusual crime.

Police say the suspect tried to vote on election while openly carrying a handgun.

CoC10...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:38:07 PM EST
Dumbass
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:40:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By M15A2:
Dumbass

I thought polling places fell under federal building laws.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:41:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By Rotors-R-Cool:
Dumbass

This
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:41:53 PM EST
Dumbass

For sure, but a Black Panther posted outside a polling place with truncheon? No problem and welcome to Obamanation!

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:42:11 PM EST
He sure showed them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:43:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By VoodooChile:
FWIW Legal open carry just went into effect in OK at the beginning of the month.

here

Police say the suspect tried to vote on election while openly carrying a handgun.

Following an investigation, the man was arrested this week.

The Fountains at Canterbury is retirement village that served as a polling station on election day.

That’s where 23-year-old Ethan Sisson showed up to vote openly displaying a handgun on his hip.

“There were several people who saw the suspect openly carrying a gun. It made them uncomfortable, so they contacted election officials there,” said Oklahoma City police Sgt. Jennifer Wardlow.

That’s when a worker at the polling station told Sisson the county election board has a policy to not allow firearms of any kind inside any polling station.

After arguing his rights, Sisson did agree to walk outside, but after retrieving a hat to wear as disguise, Sisson returned to the polling station a short time later and signed up to vote.

Court records explain, “As Sisson placed his ballot into the voting machine, he took off his baseball cap and jacket and exposed his handgun.”

What a retard. I don't have a problem with OC, but I do have a problem with asshats that HAVE to prove a point.

Good arrest.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:43:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By smithc6:
Dumbass

This

No.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:43:36 PM EST
Dumbass

False. OCing to the polls is perfectly legal here in PA. Your state's laws may vary.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:43:38 PM EST
Are we missing any attention whores from OK?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:43:42 PM EST
Open carry at the polls would discourage this type of douchebaggery.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:43:42 PM EST
Dumbass

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:44:20 PM EST
Dumbass

It says alot even when a supposed gun owner is against a person legally carrying a gun.

Once again, we are our own worst enemy. GOOD JOB!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:44:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 6:50:37 PM EST by mattg43]
No law against OC in Va when voting except if voting at a school etc.

Edit: this came from a VCDL email before the election.

_––––––––––––

It is legal to carry in a polling place in Virginia EXCEPT in a place that would otherwise prohibit the carry of firearms, such as a K-12 school or a courthouse.

There is some question about the State Board of Elections prohibiting open carry in polling places (this came up in Chesterfield earlier this year). Concealed carry with a CHP is not in question (again at places where it is not otherwise unlawful to carry.)

Page 2.9 of the election officials handbook it states:

"If someone is known to have a weapon, and is not a sworn law enforcement official displaying their badge, or a person displaying a valid Virginia concealed weapons (sic) permit, have more than one election official approach the individual together and simply ask him to leave the weapon outside. If the person does not immediately comply, have an election official cal 9-1-1 and report the incident."

I don't see that there would be legal grounds for arrest, since there is no law against carrying at a polling place. However, that doesn't mean an arrest couldn't happen anyway.

Just a "word to the wise" and another reason that we need state agency preemption.

––––––––––––––-

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:44:50 PM EST
Ta Da.
Ooops
Dang
No Profit!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:49:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By M82Assault:

here

The Fountains at Canterbury is retirement village that served as a polling station on election day.

That’s where 23-year-old Ethan Sisson showed up to vote openly displaying a handgun on his hip.

“There were several people who saw the suspect openly carrying a gun. It made them uncomfortable, so they contacted election officials there,” said Oklahoma City police Sgt. Jennifer Wardlow.

That’s when a worker at the polling station told Sisson the county election board has a policy to not allow firearms of any kind inside any polling station.

After arguing his rights, Sisson did agree to walk outside, but after retrieving a hat to wear as disguise, Sisson returned to the polling station a short time later and signed up to vote.

Court records explain, “As Sisson placed his ballot into the voting machine, he took off his baseball cap and jacket and exposed his handgun.”

What a retard. I don't have a problem with OC, but I do have a problem with asshats that HAVE to prove a point.

Good arrest.

I have two permits (MT and UT) but OC most of the time and I agree with you.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:57:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 6:59:59 PM EST by DanTSX]
This is why we lost the election

OC dorks stayed home instead of making a big scene at eh polls.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:59:21 PM EST
He isn't a dumbass for having a gun. It's the drama queen stuff I have issues with. Good job indeed!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:01:52 PM EST
I open carried while I voted just because I could and nothing happened. FWIW I am generally against open carry but believe it should be allowed. Sounds like the guy in the article was a retard.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:08:05 PM EST
Was it illegal to carry at the voting place?

If not then its. Bad arrest.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:11:45 PM EST
Why is it illegal to vote while carrying?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:18:41 PM EST
IBTKJ

Oops, too late. Not ruling on this with the information provided. The article says that the polling location could have potentially had some kind of sign banning firearms at that location, I don't know the state law, and if there are any applicable federal laws.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:12:35 AM EST
He isn't a dumbass for having a gun. It's the drama queen stuff I have issues with. Good job indeed!

+1

He blew it..big time
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:17:34 AM EST
if it was legal for him to open carry law also doing, why would you blow it

if the man was exercising is legal right, what is wrong with that?

remember, rights not exercised our rights lost.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:17:35 AM EST

here

Good arrest.

This. Dumbass.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:24:19 AM EST
Dumbass

This

Nope.

I was wearing my CCW when I voted.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:24:51 AM EST

here

Good arrest.

this
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:25:46 AM EST
If he was charged with 'Voting while armed" then that is one thing..

If he is charged with " Armed trespass" after having been asked to leave.... well he should no be surprised if they take away a couple more rights for a while.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:27:04 AM EST
If it is in fact illegal to OC in public meetings ans or polling stations then good arrest.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:35:32 AM EST

here

Good arrest.

Exactly, I CC'd and not a fuck was given. He went out to prove a point, not exercise his rights. In the process he made gun owners look like a bunch of idiots. When are people going to realize, idiots like this do nothing for our causes. While it is not up to the officials representing local and federal governments to correct people like this, WE SHOULD. Its called policing among your ranks or cleaning your own back yard. In being proactive in keeping little shits like this one under control, it gives the anti's no ammunition for their arguments while legitimizing our own arguments. We need to chastize these people at every opportunity to keep everyone else from having the chance to.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:36:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By PA452:
Dumbass

This

Nope.

bolded the important part. I've honestly forgotten to remove my ccw when in "certain places". Nobody saw it, nobody freaked out, no harm done.

Defendent in the article is an attention-whore. He got some attention. Good arrest based on info in the article.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:47:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By Silverbulletz06:

It's harder for thugs to intimidate you and influence your vote if you're armed.

Of course they don't follow the law.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:51:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By Silverbulletz06:

I'm not sure its been established that it is illegal.

But if it is it probably goes back a hundred years or more when public meetings looked like a saloon scene in Tombstone or Gangs of New York and the legislative intent was to protect people attenting public meetings from shootings, stabbing, clubbings. To understand the legislative intent of a law the first step is often looking at the timing of when a law was passed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:55:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By rob78:
Originally Posted By PA452:
Dumbass

This

Nope.

bolded the important part. I've honestly forgotten to remove my ccw when in "certain places". Nobody saw it, nobody freaked out, no harm done.

Defendent in the article is an attention-whore. He got some attention. Good arrest based on info in the article.

The State of Texas won't let me carry a firearm onto school grounds where the polls were located in my precinct. Being a law-abiding citizen, I complied. Although, in my old age, I find myself questioning more and more laws that just don't make sense as they apply to me.

The guy in the story definitely possesses the activist mindset. The whole voting and then removing his "disguise" thing also comes across as juvenile. I wonder if his license will be revoked after this?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:46:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By azcactusbrew:
Dumbass

It says alot even when a supposed gun owner is against a person legally carrying a gun.

Once again, we are our own worst enemy. GOOD JOB!

It's not the OCing most of us are against, it's the attention whoring. We had a couple in my area like this. He carried a custom finished Barney purple .50 Desert Eagle, she carried two Raging Bulls and a Tauaus model 44. All OC. Made in china camo, cheap, too-short Uncle Mike's shoulder and belt holsters, and walking up to the gun counter yelling "I've got $1200. I need two more guns!". He went into a bar, was asked to leave or put the gun in his car. He took the gun outside and his wife came in wearing the same gun. It's one thing to carry for self defense. However, looking at what they were carrying all I could say is IA has a severe shortage of enraged, hungry grizzlies.

They had to sell their guns when their grandfather died to pay for the funeral.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:03:13 AM EST
Illegal in GA
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:04:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By edb66:
Open carry at the polls would discourage this type of douchebaggery.

http://www.independentarizona.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/black.jpg

So would a can of bear repellent
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:12:40 AM EST
I'm still smarting from the drubbing I took when I said that OC was generally an unnecessary problem. A quite reasonable statement IMHO.

In this thread about half of us are calling him a haimhead and attention whore.

The dogpile mentality seems to overwhelm posters a lot of times.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:18:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By kcr121:
Dumbass

False. OCing to the polls is perfectly legal here in PA. Your state's laws may vary.

+1
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:20:13 AM EST
Look at me!!! 23-year-old dumbass!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:21:37 AM EST
moron, looks like he found the attention that he wanted
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:40:41 AM EST

here

CoC10...VA-gunnut

stupid people, and just to prove a point.....
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:54:21 AM EST
"That’s when a worker at the polling station told Sisson the county election board has a policy to not allow firearms of any kind inside any polling station."

A policy is not a law. No violation of law. They can ask him to leave and take it from there for a final disposition.
Top Top