BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2007 7:22:23 AM EDT
Pet spider kills its owner

From ALLAN HALL
in Berlin

A MAN who lived in his own “zoo” of lizards and insects was fatally bitten by a pet black widow spider — then eaten by the other creepy-crawlies.

Police broke in to Mark Voegel’s apartment to find spider Bettina along with 200 others, several snakes, a gecko lizard called Helmut and several thousand termites had gorged on his body.

Neighbours alerted police after becoming alarmed by the stink.

And horrified officers were met by a nightmare scene.

A police spokesman said: “It was like a horror movie. His corpse was over the sofa.

“Giant webs draped him, spiders were all over him. They were coming out of his nose and his mouth.

“There was everything there one could imagine in the world of reptiles.

“Larger pieces of flesh torn off by the lizards were scooped up and taken back to the webs of tarantulas and other bird-eating spiders.”

Loner Voegel, 30, never invited people back to his “jungle” home, a small apartment in the German city of Dortmund.

Police described it as a cross between a botanical garden and the butterfly breeding ground in the serial killer movie The Silence Of The Lambs.

One tarantula had built a nest the size of a swallow’s in a corner of the ceiling.

Voegel also had a boa constrictor and several poisonous frogs from South America.

Spider expert and animal cruelty officer Gabi Bayer said he kept creatures “that should never be allowed in a private home”.

She said: “He had spiders so aggressive they are the equivalent of a pit-bull in the animal world.”  

The reptiles were allowed to roam free in the flat.

The heating elements on two tanks containing spiders and their termite snacks had exploded and dislodged the metal tops allowing them to escape.

Voegel is thought to have been dead for between seven and 14 days.

A post-mortem will be carried out in the next few days. But authorities believe Bettina alone was responsible for Voegel’s death.

Link
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay that's it. I need a shower now in scalding hot bug spray.

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]
If this one doesn't scream "Darwin Award", nothing does.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Those kooky Germans!

This is the coolest story I've read on the interweb. Sucks for him though.

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#5]
This whole story seems fishy to me.

Black Widows RARELY cause death. And even when they do, you're sick for a while before you die. I've known people who've been bitten by black widows and they just got violently ill. Usually only the very young or very old have a chance of dying from a bite. And even then it's not instantaneous.

But why doesn't it surprize me that this happened in Germany?  
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Im going to go out on a limb and say he was some type of loner
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, I'm off to the store, a couple hundred bug bombs should do the trick.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#8]
There was an article in the local paper a couple of months ago about a guy here that was like that.  He's blind in one eye becasue he handled his South American Rose Hair Tranchula (sp?) and forgot to wash his hands.  He then rubbed his eye and the tiny hairs he picked up on his hands were transferred to his eye which blinded him.

He said in the article that he has spiders which are so deadly and agressive he won't even open their cages.  He has some kind of hatch which he puts the food in a seperate cell then opens a door to release the food into the spiders cage.

Why the hell someone would "collect" pets which want to kill you is beyond me.  Of course my mother says the same thing about my EBRs.

Magoo
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#9]
tag for pic
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Bug bomb from orbit.

Or at least a MLRS Bug bomb.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:32:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

that's a short limb...
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
drfrige???

worst nightmare

[Cop on the phone] Can you send a tech right away, we need someone to take the fridge apart to find the PITBULL SPIDERS. [/cop]
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Black Widows RARELY cause death. And even when they do, you're sick for a while before you die. I've known people who've been bitten by black widows and they just got violently ill. Usually only the very young or very old have a chance of dying from a bite. And even then it's not instantaneous.

Also, given the state his body was in, how in the hell could they figure out which venom did him in?  Probably something more dangerous than a black widow got him.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1  No one named "Loner" is going to grow up to be a people person!
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:35:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Daisycutter,that is all.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#17]
8th Air Force!  8th Air Force!
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#18]
no good without pics
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I agree...I've been bitten by a Widow, when I was 17.

While they are demon-spawn of Satan incarnate, they are NOT an aggressive spider at all. They are very shy, and bites occur usually when people don't realize they are there (As in my case) and stick the hand (the most common widow bite site) somewhere they can't see and mash the spider. The only reason a healthy adult would die from a bite is if they go into anaphylaxis due to allergy to the venom.

That said, a widow bite is NOT fun...I was in severe pain and very ill for several days...Hell, I thought I was dying.

Still, unless this guy was allergic to the bite, I seriously doubt that the widow caused his death.

SG

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If this one doesn't scream "Darwin Award", nothing does.

I was laughing my ass off, and my wife asked what was so funny.
When I told her she was disgusted that I laugh at him.
I tried explaining it to her in terms of Darwin, but she didn't like that explanation either.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Police broke in to Mark Voegel’s apartment to find ....

Loner Voegel, 30, never invited people back to his “jungle” home, a small apartment in the German city of Dortmund.

His name was "Mark", but he was a loner.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

my first thought also.

Some dis-info in that article.

If you go to the linked story they have a picture of a cobra.

I don't know if he had a cobra or they just had a picture handy, but if he ha a cobra I think it may have framed the widow "bettina".  

WTF is a "pitbull spider"?  Agressive spiders are actually not that common.  Maybe a Brazillian wandering spider or a Sydney funnelweb?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:40:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Old news. This happened like last year.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#26]
This thread is worthless without pics!
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Almost reminds me of that one scene in Arachnaphobia where the spider expert was found in the barn covered in spider webs with the baby spiders crawling alllllll over him.

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While they are demon-spawn of Satan incarnate, they are NOT an aggressive spider at all. They are very shy, and bites occur usually when people don't realize they are there (As in my case) and stick the hand (the most common widow bite site) somewhere they can't see and mash the spider. The only reason a healthy adult would die from a bite is if they go into anaphylaxis due to allergy to the venom.

That said, a widow bite is NOT fun...I was in severe pain and very ill for several days...Hell, I thought I was dying.

Still, unless this guy was allergic to the bite, I seriously doubt that the widow caused his death.

SG

I'll bet that wasn't fun! I've read enough to know that when you get bit by one you wish you were dead for a few days. I educated myself on them when I kept finding them in my kids' garage. They make very tough webs and like to hide up in the corners and dark places. The biggest one I caught was very agressive. But she was pissed that I had her caged up. I put her in a cup and was going to keep her for a few days before I killed her. But the kids' mom didn't like that idea and dispatched her. Evil little beasties they are. [shudder]
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet,
Eating her curds and whey;
Along came a spider,
Who sat down beside her,
And frightened Miss Muffet away
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JKXV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

my wife gets pissed at me because I sing the "Itsy-Bitsy Spider" song from the end of that movie to my 1 yr old daughter.

She says it is going to scar her.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Toss in some foggers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my first thought also.

Some dis-info in that article.

If you go to the linked story they have a picture of a cobra.

I don't know if he had a cobra or they just had a picture handy, but if he ha a cobra I think it may have framed the widow "bettina".  

WTF is a "pitbull spider"?  Agressive spiders are actually not that common.  Maybe a Brazillian wandering spider or a Sydney funnelweb?

<Crocodile Dundee>"Now the funnel web spider can kill a man, just by looking at him"</Crocodile Dundee>
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Ya...

If I was a cop and I opened the door and saw that, I would just start firing my weapon hysterically at ANYTHING that moved.

It would look something like this.

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#36]
One of the tantalus could be mistaken for the famed banana spider. If bitten he would be unconscious in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#38]

+1

I highly doubt it was the black widow that killed him... deaths from those bites in adults are vanishly rare (though those bites do suck... hard... as you correctly noted).

My money's on one of his other poisonous critters.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#39]
How do they know the spider's name?  
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Really horrible. Germany or Florida? GERMANY!
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

+1

I highly doubt it was the black widow that killed him... deaths from those bites in adults are vanishly rare (though those bites do suck... hard... as you correctly noted).

My money's on one of his other poisonous critters.

The police said that there were flesh eating spiders at the scene feeeding on him. I think the South American Banana spider fits the dicription. They will kill you in a very short time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet,
Eating her curds and whey;
Along came a spider,
Who sat down beside her,
And said, [Andrew Dice Clay]"hey! What's in the bowl, B****?" [/Andrew Dice Clay]

Always loved that one!
FTR...spiders are not pets...
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#43]
are you kidding about the banana spyder, living and hunting in florida Im practicaly suronded by the discusting things don't know how many times ive knocked one of by back or leg after going through underbrush. Never been bitten, but have seen some huge ones with a leg span of 6 or more inches
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#44]
The story went well with my Boston Market corn muffin, now where are the pics?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
are you kidding about the banana spyder, living and hunting in florida Im practicaly suronded by the discusting things don't know how many times ive knocked one of by back or leg after going through underbrush. Never been bitten, but have seen some huge ones with a leg span of 6 or more inches

At that size you shoot them!
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#46]
my western DB

I have had alot of pets that  most people think of as strange. As long as you respect them and know they can still harm you its not much diffrent then a gun. The gun that is not used safely can be more deadly.

I need to get pics of the other pets I have had over the years.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
This thread is worthless without pics!

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At that size you shoot them!

naw,,live capture, then boil. like crabs.. make's a great  spider boil for parties!
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The ones in Florida (yellow banana spiders) you generally don't have to worry about, they have a mild bite like a bee sting, it's the south american brown banana spiders that are the killers.

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#50]

In the US, those are simple Golden Orb spiders from the Nephilia genus (named for the big yellow egg sac they produce)... they're sometimes called "Banana spiders," but they're not the same species as the South American variety.  The North American species are harmelss to people.

Hell... I had a huge one outside my screened-in porch last year that ate like an absolute king with all the bugs attracted to my floodlights.  My kids were fascinated with her, and she was enormous.  Again, totally harmless to people... I'd never let my kids play near one if it wasn't.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top