Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 4:47:50 AM EDT
Man fires gun over gas-line cutter

Police say Jackson man, angry at gas line-cutter, fires shot in air

By Jack Mazurak
[email protected]

Tempers exploded in a south Jackson gas station line this morning as an angry driver shot into the air.

Jackson police charged Lloyd Coleman with a misdemeanor count of discharging a weapon in city limits. The shots were fired at at 10:45 a.m. at the Pilot Travel Center on Gallatin Street, just south of I-20.

"He had waited in line two-to-three hours. Somebody from the back cut in front of him. (Coleman) tried to talk to the driver, but he wouldn't listen," Jackson Police officer B. Sanders said.

Coleman grabbed his black .357 revolver and fired one round straight into the air to get the driver's attention, Sanders said. No one was injured. Police did not have the other driver's name or more information on Coleman.

"Everybody's frustrated out here," Sanders said, gesturing to the half-mile stretch of cars waiting for gas.

Pilot station general manager Mike Berry ordered employees to close off the station shortly after the shooting. He said his tanks were nearly out of gas, and the rest is reserved for emergency and relief vehicles responding to problems related to Hurricane Katrina.

Berry would not comment further.

As word of the closing spread through the line, drivers wheeled their cars around in search of other open stations.

"I was in line but didn't know (about the shot fired)," north Jackson resident Markus Taylor said. "I've been waiting in line for two hours. I'm about to run out of gas now. My (gas warning) light is on."

Almost four days after Hurricane Katrina hit the metro area, power outages still abound. Without power, many gas stations can't pump. Wherever stations open, such as the Pilot, long lines form quickly.

"It's just crazy out here," Taylor said.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, least he didnt plug the guy in the chest.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:10:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Were any dogs injured?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#4]
"Coleman grabbed his black .357 revolver"

Why do they always have to bring color into the issue...

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:13:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

At least it wasnt a semi-automatic assault revolver
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:19:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least it wasnt a semi-automatic assault revolver

The idiot press states, "The man pulled out a gun and fired a full clip from his semi-automatic revolver."
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:21:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This stuff is going to hurt us.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I would be pissed at a gas line cutter too.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:43:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This stuff is going to hurt us.

It's simply horrible what people can become.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top