Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2011 12:37:35 PM EST
http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2011/09/29/man-arrested-near-school-with-handgun-rifle/

"When officers arrived, they encountered Michael Hutchison, 23. Hutchison was carrying a Smith and Wesson M&P15 rifle and a 9 mm handgun, officials said. Both were loaded and he was reportedly also wearing a vest containing five extra full clips for the rifle and one extra for the handgun."

"Hutchison reportedly told deputies he was “training.”

Could've picked a better place to "train".
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:39:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 12:40:59 PM EST by Taboot]
Out of curiosity, what law did he break?

ETA: He was charged with carrying weapons and a probation violation and is being held at the Polk County Jail on a $100,000 bail.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:40:53 PM EST
the common sence law
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:41:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 12:42:30 PM EST by 6winchester2]
Probation violation.

He sounds like a real idiot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:41:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 12:42:46 PM EST by cavscouty]
Originally Posted By Taboot:

ETA: He was charged with carrying weapons and a probation violation and is being held at the Polk County Jail on a $100,000 bail.

Did you read the article?
edit: you figured it out.

Maybe under his probation he wasn't allowed to carry weapons???
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:42:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By 6winchester2:

Well for one thing the article says "probation violation."

I wonder if the probation violation is the carrying weapons charge.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:43:29 PM EST
Both weapons used clips huh? Bet that is a bitch to speed reload.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:45:34 PM EST

He was charged with carrying weapons and a probation violation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:47:02 PM EST
Needs put into the hometown Iowa section . Had a weapons permit ?? The new ones state permit to carry weapons.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:49:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 12:49:49 PM EST by cavscouty]
Originally Posted By AR15JoeL:
Needs put into the hometown Iowa section . Had a weapons permit ?? The new ones state permit to carry weapons.

Same as the old one. Probation more than likely said he can't carry weapons...hence the probation violation charge.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:51:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By glazer1972:

He was charged with carrying weapons and a probation violation.

I'm just curious how the law works. It says: He apparently had a weapons permit, but the rifle he was carrying drew concern from authorities.
Then it says he was charged with carrying weapons.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:54:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By cavscouty:
Originally Posted By AR15JoeL:

Same as the old one. Probation more than likely said he can't carry weapons...hence the probation violation charge.

Don't they contact you and pull your permit to carry
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:04:59 PM EST
I'm all for the 2nd A. But if I saw some dude in a vest and 'clips' carrying an AR walking toward or near a school I'd be suspicious too. I drive by a school each week on my way to the range and always do 2-3 under the speed limit. No way I'm giving any cop a reason to pull me over and flip out over what's in my trunk while driving in a school zone.

It's just common sense, the same reason I don't strip naked and jerk off in the middle of walmart. That's what the dressing rooms are for
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:06:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By TheJammer:

You should be happy they at least got the type (and model!) of guns right.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:33:17 PM EST
There is a common sense clause for owning firearms.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:45:35 PM EST
Fucking stupid arrest
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:48:51 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:51:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By 6winchester2:
Probation violation.

He sounds like a real idiot.

This. Fucking moron.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:25:18 PM EST
Screen name?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:29:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By fosters:
Screen name?

HA!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:34:16 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:41:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By hotbiggun42:
Fucking stupid arrest

Interdasting
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:43:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 2:45:11 PM EST by WindRiver78]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Yeah if you are walking near one of our schools toting an AR we are going to have a chat.

Is "having a chat" a euphemism for something else? or is it really just a chat?

ETA: I ask only because this act in and of itself isn't necessarily a crime, as out of place it may seem.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:44:37 PM EST
Dumbass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:46:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 2:47:03 PM EST by cavscouty]
Originally Posted By WindRiver78:
Yeah if you are walking near one of our schools toting an AR we are going to have a chat.

ETA: I ask only because this act in and of itself isn't necessarily a crime, as out of place it may seem.

It's code for placing his balls on the curb and then stumping them. You don't hang out with cops much huh?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:47:12 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:47:15 PM EST
sounds like a heavy application of common sense to me.

'training'? for what near a skool? zombies?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:47:57 PM EST

I don't know Iowa law but do they allow open carry there? I ask because some states is it s a crime to walk down the street with a visable handgun, not sure about long guns.

Also some states have blanket No Firearms on school property or within XXX feet of a school.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:49:00 PM EST
He has a permit for carrying weapons and he's carrying weapons? Arrest him.

Oh yeah, wait, he was carrying a rifle and a handgun... in a school zone. And on probation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:50:31 PM EST

Its code for "We are going to see if you are in violation of the Gun Free Zone Act and to find out if you are on probation".
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:51:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By wilNva:

I don't know Iowa law but do they allow open carry there? I ask because some states is it s a crime to walk down the street with a visable handgun, not sure about long guns.

Also some states have blanket No Firearms on school property or within XXX feet of a school.

Yes, but nobody does.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:52:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:52:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By finishman2000:
the common sence law

Ironic post
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:52:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 2:54:01 PM EST by Renegade13B]
Originally Posted By MajorStumpDemon:
sounds like a heavy application of common sense to me.

'training'? for what near a skool? zombies?

I train in my neighborhood, and there is a school in my neighborhood. Granted, training for me consists of running around the block a few times. I see no difference in the application of training between running and carrying gear; both are conditioning activities. The only difference I see is the reactions of the surrounding people.

But ya, I would train in gear away from populated areas just to avoid the hassle.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:53:54 PM EST
By my kids school, just park the 1 ton on the dipshit, take em for a drag.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:54:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 2:57:06 PM EST by WindRiver78]
Originally Posted By SISUltra:

Its code for "We are going to see if you are in violation of the Gun Free Zone Act and to find out if you are on probation".

No doubt this guy is the village idiot. Just wondering what would happen to an average joe in a local with no specific regulations on this type of carry near a school. I imagine in some places, the blanket "disturbing the peace" charge would be applied if needed.

ETA: I guess what I am trying to say, is that there will always be gap between what is legally allowed by the letter of the law, and what people agree is acceptable behavior regardless of the specific local laws.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:55:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 2:55:53 PM EST by SISUltra]

Nope, just a chat.

You guys do realize a cop can have a chat with someone.

Of course. But what are you going to chat about? You are going to ask him what he is doing? Then why he has his guns. I guess you would be a cool cop to not fuck with him about the Gun Free Zone Act. Maybe you personally would ask him "what kind of guns" he had? Obviously someone figured out he was on probation and it probably started out with them "chatting".
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:56:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By TheJammer:

I wonder how much it costs to convert an M&P over to clips...

Guy went full retard, there... Something tells me he was not, "training," and if he was, he needs a psych eval, stat.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:58:06 PM EST

If you're walking near a school toting an AR you're either a nutcase, an idiot, or you're trying to goad the cops into doing something you can sue them for. Or your family can sue them for, assuming you don't survive the goading.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:00:09 PM EST

Nope, just a chat.

they probably dont

and said criminal is a dumbass...why, why would you need to carry a rifle around school, and also after your on probation....where was darwin? stupid people with guns scare me more than anything
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:01:48 PM EST

Nope, just a chat.

I remember one of these threads a year or so ago where the question for LEOs was what they would do if this scenerio happened to them.

I remember being called a bad cop and a traitor to the constitution for voicing my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:03:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 3:04:03 PM EST by runcible]

Originally Posted By Chapman: Guy went full retard, there... Something tells me he was not, "training," and if he was, he needs a psych eval, stat.
And something tells me that there are lots of folks here, who will line up to say that what he was doing was perfectly normal,
and that the cops were the weird ones for even noticing him.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:07:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:09:01 PM EST

Define 'near'...the article doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:10:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:13:17 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:13:44 PM EST
Training for surviving police interrogation and detention?

If he wanted to build strength, that's what a knapsack filled with rocks are for.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:14:38 PM EST
I'm all for the 2nd A. But if I saw some dude in a vest and 'clips' carrying an AR walking toward or near a school I'd be suspicious too. I drive by a school each week on my way to the range and always do 2-3 under the speed limit. No way I'm giving any cop a reason to pull me over and flip out over what's in my trunk while driving in a school zone.

It's just common sense, the same reason I don't strip naked and jerk off in the middle of walmart. That's what the dressing rooms are for

How much to subscribe to your newsletter?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:14:42 PM EST

If your town has more than 100,000 people in it, it's not all that easy to walk anywhere without walking near or toward a school. I also question whether there is any rational basis for being particularly anxious about an armed man headed toward a school, or assuming that an armed man headed in the direction of a school has the school as his destination.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:15:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By pcsutton:

Define 'near'...the article doesn't.

Yeah, little vague on that. That said, the school was on the same street that he was walking on. Wonder if he lives on the street?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:15:56 PM EST

He can still be charged by the Feds with Gun Free School Zone Violation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top