Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 7:31:34 AM EDT
I downloaded crack programs for AnyDVD and CloneDVD from some warez site.

I ran the first one and it made a serious mess on my laptop. It loaded about 8-12 programs on the computer, all malware/spyware/adware. I removed all of them through uninstall and deletion.

There is still something running in the background that is throwing up random pop-up ads in various amounts. I can't figure out what is running that is allowing it. The pop-up blocker for MSIE is turned on and I'm not on sites that normally have pop-ups ads (like this one) but they still show up.

Also, the ALT-TABing is dorked up on my taskbar.

Anyone have any suggestions? I ran SpyBot and AdAware and removed all kinds of garbage. Nothing left in the Add-Remove Programs and there is nothing to switch off in MSCONFIG under Start-up Items.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it web popups or messenger popups?

If it's messenger popups, disable the Messenger service on your computer if you haven't done it in MSCONFIG.  It won't affect MSN Messenger.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#2]
1.save everything now. 2.write to zero's. 3.start over.

this takes a couple of hours, but your computor will run better anyway.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is it web popups or messenger popups?

If it's messenger popups, disable the Messenger service on your computer if you haven't done it in MSCONFIG.  It won't affect MSN Messenger.

Web popups.... messenger is one of the first things I disable on a reformat.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Download HiJackthis, install it, and it will give you a list of what programs are starting.

www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Sometimes BHO's (browser helper objects) are installed that need to be removed.  They are the source of the popups.  HiJackThis will identify BHO's as well as regular programs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#6]
what the hell was that all about?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]
actually the best way to run hijacthis is form this web page link

click direct download.    scan WITH LOG FILE   and then post it into the blank white area on the page.  it will tell you what needs to be removed.   post it here if your not sure.  i can tell you yes or no
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]
use the ms spyware beta its probably one of the best ms programs ive seen.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I've run hijackthis, ad aware, and spybot S&D... none have fixed the problem.

I'll look into the MS thing you mentioned. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Try booting in safe mode (F8) and then running Hijackthis.  It's likely that something bad is running and stopping any changes or file deletions from sticking.

It's also possible that a required Windows file has been modified.  You can run sfc /scannow and that will replace any non microsoft system files, but you'll need to hit it again with any service packs that you may have updated.  Sometimes its less hassle to just reinstall the OS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top