Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/27/2004 6:49:24 AM EST

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A man stabbed a six-foot alligator with a pocketknife after the reptile grabbed his dog by the head.

Matthew Goff, 29, says he was walking his dog Sugar Wednesday at Kanapaha Park in Gainesville when the attack occurred. Goff said the unleashed dog, a tan-colored bloodhound/Shar-Pei mix, had wandered to the edge of a pond when the gator grabbed its head.

Goff jumped in the water and stabbed the gator in the eye with his pocketknife. The gator then let the dog go. The dog had three teeth marks on its left shoulder, one on its head and another on its right ear.

I'm always strapped when I walk my dog, .45, then again if a gator attacks us were all fucked because I live in Pittsburgh
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:51:06 AM EST
Hey I am originally from Pittsburgh, go Steelers!

And why wasn't this guy armed with someone more than a pocketknife?!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:53:14 AM EST
that's not a knife!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:54:18 AM EST
Steelers rule. don't know, if I was in flordia I would walk around with a 12 gauge those gators are nasty SOB's. got a friend that lives down there and there always on the golf course he plays at. In his bag he has sawed off shotgun just in case. LOL
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:17:59 AM EST
No need to be overly afraid of gators.
If you dont bother them, they wont bother you...just keep your dogs, and kids away from their habitat.

BTW...I am also originally from near Pittsburgh...GO PENS!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:35:25 AM EST
I can't understand why he had to stab the poor gator. Maybe if he had just fed it some gator kibble, he could have had an excellent pet.

At the very worst he should have live-trapped it and turned it over to Animal Control for euthanasia.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:50:52 AM EST
I don't really see why it's so important to preserve the species anyway. If it were up to me, it would be legal to kill them on sight if they're on your property.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:51:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By lu380:
I don't really see why it's so important to preserve the species anyway. If it were up to me, it would be legal to kill them on sight if they're on your property.

Can we extend that to people too? Please?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:57:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By parr28922:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A man stabbed a six-foot alligator with a pocketknife after the reptile grabbed his dog by the head.

Matthew Goff, 29, says he was walking his dog Sugar Wednesday at Kanapaha Park in Gainesville when the attack occurred. Goff said the unleashed dog, a tan-colored bloodhound/Shar-Pei mix, had wandered to the edge of a pond when the gator grabbed its head.

Goff jumped in the water and stabbed the gator in the eye with his pocketknife. The gator then let the dog go. The dog had three teeth marks on its left shoulder, one on its head and another on its right ear.

I'm always strapped when I walk my dog, .45, then again if a gator attacks us were all fucked because I live in Pittsburgh

Ball clanking when that fella walks.

Reminds of the news story some time ago where a man was attacked by a mountain lion and managed to get his pocket knife open with one hand, while his other hand was protecting his vital areas from the attack. Killed the animal with the flimsy knife and managed to get to an area where he found help.

Top Top