Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 1:34:22 PM EDT

ap.lancasteronline.com/4/alarm_rage

Man Fires Gun at Car to Silence Alarm

Published: Aug 10, 2005 8:58 PM EST

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (AP) - A man annoyed by a noisy car alarm fired at least three bullets into a Toyota Camry, silencing the alarm and bringing out police who hauled him away in handcuffs, authorities said.

David Owen Rye, 48, was arrested and booked for investigation of reckless discharge of a firearm and felony vandalism, Sgt. John Adamczyk said. Rye allegedly told officers he grabbed his handgun and went out to put a stop to the car alarm.

The owner of the Camry, a sailor whose ship the USS Theodore Roosevelt just returned from an eight-month cruise, was visiting a friend when he heard the gunfire at about 10 p.m. Tuesday, KCAL-TV reported.

"I mean, that's not a safe guy. I mean, you get upset over an alarm, over a noise like that, (then) there's some little kids making too much noise and he decides to do something awful," sailor Nicholas Moreno, 25, said.

Police were called to the Yosemite Avenue apartment building and Rye was ordered out of his apartment by an officer with a bullhorn. A Los Angeles Police Department helicopter also responded and Rye was arrested.

Neighbor Ken Davis said he heard gunshots and looked outside to see Rye holding a gun.

"It was little scary," Davis said. "I didn't know what kind of mood he was in. I didn't want to say anything to him."
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
But, it worked!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
why not just pop the hood and disconnect the battery?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#3]
As a person with a neighbor with a car alarm that'll go off at anytime, esp. weird hours, I'd say he acted resonably. The prosecuting attorney wouldn't want me on the jury.

Don't think I haven't been tempted.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As a person with a neighbor with a car alarm that'll go off at anytime, esp. weird hours, I'd say he acted resonably. The prosecuting attorney wouldn't want me on the jury.

+1  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#5]

"I mean, that's not a safe guy. I mean, you get upset over an alarm, over a noise like that, (then) there's some little kids making too much noise and he decides to do something awful,"

Idiot Of The Day award goes to...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#6]
WOuld it not have been simpler to skip the middle step - firing the gun into the car - and just calling the police about a car being stolen?  The police would have come, the alarm would have been silenced.  No additional noise from gunshots, or holes in a car.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

+2 that is annoying shit, so glad I got a house && out of that barrio
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Good for him!  Too bad he got caught.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I came a frogs hair away from doing just that once.  I swear this car's alarm would go off if a bird landed on it and it was an old heap.  I was on my way accross the parking lot with my Mossberg 500 with the intent of filling the front end full of 00buck when I came to my senses considering the consequences.

The next day I complained to the apartment manager and she being rather partial to I and my wife as good residents she made sure it didn't happen again.  As a matter of fact as it turns out the person that owned the car was not listed on any of the leases and she evicted all eight of the people that were living in that 2 bedroom apartment.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Gun?............draws too much attention.

Gas can.....................match...........
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

"I mean, that's not a safe guy. I mean, you get upset over an alarm, over a noise like that, (then) there's some little kids making too much noise and he decides to do something awful,"

Please pick me,
please pick me,
please pick me...

....Wait?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please pick me,
please pick me,
please pick me...

....Wait?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I guy in my townhome complex had his carhood peppered with buckshot for the same reason, they person was so pissed they walked around back and put a slug thru his garage door and into the boat, guess they were really pissed
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a guy a block away from my work for 3 weeks srtaight have his alarm go off every day on his beater 89 jetta.  It would go off, wail for half an hour or so, he'd come out of his office and shut it off, and 10 minutes later it would do it again.

I too was considering drastic measures.

Then there was the guy who would drive through the neighborhood at 2 am each night on the way home from work "Thumping"...

I can understand this guy's actions, but cannot condone them.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#18]
The dude's big mistake was using a gun. If he' had just whaled on the car with a sledgehammer or something the cops probably wouldn't have even shown up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Ban car alarms.

They might have to retrofit the "assault style" ones to fit the ban in CA, NY, NJ, Mass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top