Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 8:51:01 AM EDT
I am an RN.  Was an LPN for 10 years.  I  now work at a hospital and teach Nurses.

I find the following issues.

Bitches that constantly stirr shit up and have non stop attitudes toward males no matter how nice you are to keep the peace.

Short staffing.

Being pulled to units you have not been oriented on.

Aides getting more respect than we do.
  They can say no and have an attitude when we can never say no.

Aides receiving poor training.

Other than that I an constantly entertained with crazy staff and patients.  I get to see naked women all day but the draw back is that they are 90 year old malnourished women.  YUK!!

Bob RN
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Checking in....then checking out. Worked last night.

I'll posts some pearls later.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I wanna hear some stuff!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Perfect timing, I'm actually finishing my application to nursing school as you read this!  

So, what do you guys think of the associate vs. BSN degrees?  

EPOCH (future murse)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#4]
As a doc, I love working with male nurses.    

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Perfect timing, I'm actually finishing my application to nursing school as you read this!  

So, what do you guys think of the associate vs. BSN degrees?  

EPOCH (future murse)

Ok, one post before passing out.

I went and got my ADN. I already had a college degree, so all I wanted from school was a license. It was ALOT quicker and cheaper.

My wife has her BSN, and plans to get a practitioner license. If you wanna continue on for a Masters, get your BSN right out of the gate. I don't think I could talk myself in to going back to school again.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess the "Gaylord Faulkers" are few and far between here huh?

Here's a few:

I was orienting a new grad RN to the unit, and showed her where the sternostomy tray was kept. "You'll probally never see that used here".......less than ten minutes later, the surgeon was screaming for the tray, and the new grad got a front row seat for a chest cracking. She never came back.

I LOVE to push Adenosine with orientees. "Watch the monitor for me will ya? Let me know if  anything squirely happens....."

At least once a week I have a patient cut a phone call short when I walk into a room..."I gotta go, the Doctors here to see me...." I really need to talk to the payroll people.....they owe me some coin!

I totally dig my job.
EPOCH, get in on as much as you can during clinicals in school. There are SOOOO many areas to choose from. I did my community health rotation at the Budweiser brewery. Free beer and an education.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:37:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I work w/ several excellent male nurses - I'd have to say that based on percentages,the male nurses are generally better overall than the female nurses (not to bash, but we have about 8-10 male nurses scattered throughout the departments I deal with, and 5-6x that number of female nurses).  I've had very few problems w/ any of the nurses I work with, but the guys just seem to have  better attitude & tend to be more focused.  There are a number of female nurses that make me wonder about how they ever got into, much less out of, nursing school (and a couple have gone on to become Nurse Practitioners - scary.).
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#8]
A little off topic, but when I had my last surgery, the best care I recieved was from a male nurse. The female nurses on the floor, bar none, were horrible to me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A little off topic, but when I had my last surgery, the best care I recieved was from a male nurse. The female nurses on the floor, bar none, were horrible to me.

I hear that everday at work.  I am proctering the Hesi exam as I type.  Only one failure so far.

Bob
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Gaylords are either the best nurses you will EVER find or can be total asses.

Some have issues with taking orders and other social problems.

But again some of the best nurses I have ever seen have been guys.

But I guess that applies to everything.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top