Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 11:11:40 PM EDT
from an email...

Male sweat relaxes women Men's underarms may hold clue to new fertility drug.
28 May 2003
HELEN R. PILCHER

Male underarms relax women and may make them more fertile.

Ladies! Looking for a way to relax? Then try sniffing a man's underarm. New research shows that armpit sweat calms female volunteers.

It also shifts menstrual cycles, so the discovery could give rise to perspiration-derived drugs to manipulate female fertility.

"The underarm contains physiologically active pheromones," says chemist George Preti of the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelpha, Pennsylvania, who led the study.

These behaviour-altering chemicals - which are common throughout the animal world - can affect the brain, and hence our bodies, without our even realizing it.

For six hours, female volunteers were exposed to pheromones concentrated from manly armpit odour - mercifully masked by fragrance.

Levels of luteinizing hormone, a key player in the menstrual cycle, were monitored. Luteinizing hormone is released from the brain in pulses - these become larger and more frequent as a woman approaches ovulation.

Exposure to the male odour accelerated the arrival of the next hormone rush, Preti's team found1. The volunteers also reported feeling less tense and more relaxed as they sniffed. Both effects may be a throwback to our impulse-primed past, suggests Preti.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
uh, cool, I guess
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#2]
So if I don't wash my pits and use deodorant, women might follow me around, trying to get close and find that special mood?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:35:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Good news guys! If we can find a way to bottle and sell this shit, we could get rich over the Summer. I'm sure the French would spend $100 dollars (ugh...Euros) per 4 oz bottle on this! LOL. Good grief, the stuff in the news.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:40:58 AM EDT
[#4]
hummmmmmmm!!!!

Very Interesting
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#5]
If this is true then why aren't women swarming all the gun shows I go to?
[banana]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good news guys! If we can find a way to bottle and sell this shit, we could get rich over the Summer. I'm sure the French would spend $100 dollars (ugh...Euros) per 4 oz bottle on this! LOL. Good grief, the stuff in the news.

I thought the French, both male & female, had quite enough sweat without having to import more...or have they discovered bathing recently?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the French, both male & female, had quite enough sweat without having to import more...or have they discovered bathing recently?
View Quote

French men don't produce any male pheremones. They'd have to be male for that.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
gotta respond to this one..

i think there is a difference between overt nasty body stench and someone's natural smell...a combination of their sweat, detergent, soap, shampoo, lotion, etc...(we'll leave out food-induced stink - like garlic, curry)...i'm sure you've noticed how the same perfume or cologne will smell different on different people...

don't get me wrong, cleaned up and smelling oh-so-shower-fresh is nice..

but what really gets me is when my BF hasn't shaved and has that manly smell and taste to his skin after a hot day at the range...

as far as women not being at the gun shows - they just don't know what they are missing...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top