Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 10:07:26 AM EDT
Does anyone else make their own soap?

Most commercially bought soap and shampoo is just detergents with foaming agents - not real soap.  Even real soap usually has the naturally-occurring glycerin removed, because manufacturers can use that glycerin for more pricey products.  Good bar soap costs a dollar or more per bar.

I just made a batch of soap, about 18 pounds total, in a few hours, and it only cost me about $0.45/bar for a very good, cleansing and moisturizing soap with no additives or any other crap.  It's a fun project, and while I'm single and it won't really save me much money, it can be a big money saver for a large family.  It can be used as shampoo as well as body soap.

My latest batch is :

31% coconut oil
31% palm oil
15.5% sunflower oil
11.625% olive oil
7.75% shea butter
3.1% castor oil
6% superfat

I used an online soap calculator, and got ideas from various websites and made up my own recipe.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't see any lye

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Lye is assumed.  I forget, but it was something like 1030g of lye.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't but I know a guy that does. His name is Tyler...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#4]
With enough soap you can blow up pretty much anything...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With enough soap you can blow up pretty much anything...
View Quote
Only if you remove the glycerin, and then the soap isn't as good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't but I know a guy that does. His name is Tyler...
View Quote
His name is Robert Paulson
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Go be poor somewhere else?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#8]
The first rule of Fight Club... wait... Aren't you Tyler Durden, Paper Street Soap Company?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, ours works better than the stuff we were buying. We did it as a project with the kids and had some fun with it. Made our own detergent as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Fake how-to thread?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife makes soap and sells it on Etsy as well as some upscale gift shops in new england.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#13]
While in Peace Corps, a girl I know made her own soap; think she was in Paraguay.

IIRC; she:

- strained fire pit ashes and water through old newspaper

- cooked down the result to get concentrated lye

- mixed it with chicken fat and added local plants/flowers for fragrance

She lived in a village 15 miles away from the nearest paved road.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I've learned some cool stuff about soap too.  For example, it's technically a salt, because it's the result of the reaction of a base (lye) and an acid (fatty acid).

Also, a animal/plant oil molecule is made up of three fatty acid molecules on a glycerol molecule.  The lye pulls those three fatty acid molecules off and reacts with them, making a soap molecule, and what's left is the glycerol molecule, which becomes glycerin.  So soap contains 1 mol of glycerin per 3 mols of soap.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Go be poor somewhere else?

A.W.D.
View Quote
Think saving money makes you rich.....
Sounds like hes rich with memories of doing a project with his kids too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#16]
We make our own hot process soap too.  We actually get raw beef tallow and cook it down for our soap.  Interesting process how it all works together.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#18]
We've done it. We got on a kick there for a while. Ended up making a bunch of scented soaps and gave them away as Christmas presents.

We tried several different oil recipes, can't say that anyone was better than the other really, but we added cocoa powder to one soap, made a great chocolate scented soap. Another good one, we had a bunch of lemon grass. We dried it and chopped it up, added extra lemon grass oil and you had lemon grass scented soap and the dried grass added "grit" to it to help clean the crap off your hands.

We tried making our own lye from wood ashes, ended up with something that resembled gojo hand cleaner. Wasn't bad, just wasn't what we were expecting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
While in Peace Corps, a girl I know made her own soap; think she was in Paraguay.

IIRC; she:

- strained fire pit ashes and water through old newspaper

- cooked down the result to get concentrated lye

- mixed it with chicken fat and added local plants/flowers for fragrance

She lived in a village 15 miles away from the nearest paved road.
View Quote
Why didn't you marry her?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top