Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2007 11:03:30 AM EDT
My advisor keeps giving me shit because I picked "Second World War in Europe" as one of my humanities GER's(I'm going for engineering).

She is telling me that I should take something that would actually benefit me.  There are no GER's that fit the humanities requirement that have anything to do with engineering though so my POV is that I should take something that I'm actually interested in and would get a guaranteed A in.

She is acting like she is completely dumbfounded with my decision and is insisting I take the next level econ class(even though i'm only getting a B in my current econ class).  Is a stupid GER really that big of a deal?  In the end it is just a grade since it doesn't count towards my engineering...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Kick her in the taco and take your WW2 class.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1

My advisor didn't even tell me shit this semster - I just walked in his office, gave him my name, and he took the advising hold off my account. I'm just taking the pre-Business core classes though, so it's no biggie I guess.

And I don't have any classes before 11AM next semester! Yay!
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My advisor keeps giving me shit because I picked "Second World War in Europe" as one of my humanities GER's(I'm going for engineering).

She is telling me that I should take something that would actually benefit me.  There are no GER's that fit the humanities requirement that have anything to do with engineering though so my POV is that I should take something that I'm actually interested in and would get a guaranteed A in.

She is acting like she is completely dumbfounded with my decision and is insisting I take the next level econ class(even though i'm only getting a B in my current econ class).  Is a stupid GER really that big of a deal?  In the end it is just a grade since it doesn't count towards my engineering...

She may have a point.  I would guess that the econ class will have more chance of being of benefits to you later down the road.  Without know all the details of your situation, one example is if in the future you are interested in management positions and decided to go for an MBA, that upper level econ class may help satisfy an entrance requirement for that MBA program.  Just saying...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

My advisor didn't even tell me shit this semster - I just walked in his office, gave him my name, and he took the advising hold off my account. I'm just taking the pre-Business core classes though, so it's no biggie I guess.

I didn't even meet with mine till after I made my schedule this time.

I didn't realize you have to call 3 weeks ahead to get a meeting organized with your advisor before class registration opens up..

Also, an the lecture for an engineering class I should have taken this semester is only offered at 6-650pm M,W.  What the fuck kind of time is that?  I took the required Chem class instead...

edit: my earliest is 9, I have another morning at 10 but the other three days are at noon...

I tried so hard to get friday off but the dumbasses made the only Chem lecture a m,w,f class...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yeah, I thought I had the dream schedule this semester: no classes on Mondays or Fridays, no classes before 10 a.m., and only one night class.

I've absolutely worked my balls off this semester.

Whoever said the third year of law school is the easiest is full of shit.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
She may have a point.  I would guess that the econ class will have more chance of being of benefits to you later down the road.  Without know all the details of your situation, one example is if in the future you are interested in management positions and decided to go for an MBA, that upper level econ class may help satisfy an entrance requirement for that MBA program.  Just saying...

My plans right now are to go from this to a M.Eng program.  I hear what you are saying but I think taking a class that I'm interested in and could pull an A out of fairly easy is more important.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#7]
What the heck is an advisor?    I've never used one. (senior, grad date Spring 09)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top