Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 6:28:09 AM EDT
I'm thinkin about buying a 2004 ktm450 exc and making it street legal. As far as I know in Pennsylvania you need headlight/taillight, turn signals, horn, mirrors, speedometer and odometer. I'm thinking about going with trickdualsport.com for the lighting kit, but would still need speed/odometer. If anyone knows of a good decent priced kit I would appreciate it. Also any input on the bike or anything else would be greatly appreciated. I'm still in the research stage, so nothing is final. Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:52:37 AM EDT
Of course, baja designs makes a good kit. The switchgear they use is generally quite good.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/

However, I prefer to pick and choose the parts I like. From catalogs, local stores and from what I know I like.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:10:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 7:13:00 AM EDT by kevhogAZ]
Dude, you need to head over to Thumper Talk and have a look around. They've got a forum dedicated to just KTM's and you'll find a hometown section there, as well. If you can't find your answers/parts on that site, they probably don't exist.

The online store has some good prices, too, but it's a real pain in the to learn how to use.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:44:10 AM EDT
I've been on thumpertalk a few times, but haven't really looked around. Google always ends up bringing me there. Bajadesigns is exactly what I've been looking for. So I should expect to have about $700 in making the bike legal. Thanks a lot. Any more input will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:52:01 AM EDT
depending on hoe much of a tinkerer you are, swap in some parts off of a KLR650 or the Suzuki equivalent, at least that way you will always be able to get spares

as for the lighting kit, there are companies out there (I think the aforementioned Baja being one) that sell light setups including headlight and plate light that just go on and you run a bit of wire

In some locals you can get away with using a GPS for speedo and odo, not sure if where you are you can, and it has to be mounted in a visible fashion, and have a screen that is reasonably visible
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:10:02 AM EDT
Leaving for the 3 hour drive to pick it up in about 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:26:03 PM EDT
Isn't it a PITA to try and deal with DMV to have it become street legal? I don't know how it is in PA, but I hope it isn't too bad dealing with them.

Do you have a title for your bike?

Does it say for "offroad use only"? Sometimes they can be real sticklers and sometimes you'll be good to go. It doesn't sound like you're too worried about it though and you may get through, but just be prepaired.

And depends on where you go to get it inspected too. Some of the pieces aren't 100% DOT according to the Inspector, lol.

BTW, I've got myself a DRZ-400S that has the 4X4 mod, jet kit, yosh pipe and some new avons that I'm going to have to end up selling because I'm leaving for Navy Boot.

It'll pull wheelies in 3rd now with just gas where it took practice and timing in 2nd. Very nice little bike you have there too, congrats.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:06:06 PM EDT
+1 Thumpertalk. Im DSing a DRZ400-E - Baja sells good lights, I prefer Trick - you may find that's the way to go on Katooms. This is a constant pissing match tho - think 9mm/45, Marpat, etc. Really either is fine - purely preference. Theres some other interesting stuff out there. Peruse the net, but those are the big two

How are you figuring the $700? Seems about right

DS Kit (Whoever Signals-HeadLamp, Horn, switches, wiring - exc should have a tailight already) @ $400-$450

Mirrors plenty of choices - one Ken Sean Universal Folding $60 tops shipped with clamps

Speedometer and odometer. Cheap - Panaoram ($80) or better Vector or Vapor ($100-$130) - or you could use a GPS if allowed. I'll bet the Odometer needs to be non-resettable.

So $600 +/-

Having lived in PA - surprised you wont need DOT rubber. Dunlop 606 Rear $100 - whatever front TKC 80/MT21/606 $50-$100.

If you end up needing them, can find some deals around if you need DOT. IMO the 606 are the best all around rear DOT dirt out there. Or you can buy some cheap Shinko's for well under $100/pair, tool down for inspection then decide what your going to do Probably find some DeathwingsTrailwings cheap as well. They really arent that bad - until you ride something decent. No labor - might as well learn to change them out now. Assume you have some spoons. Not sure they'd even check if so.

Guess it depends on the "inspector" - Lived a few places. Ive had vehicles gone over like they were judging at Pebble and I had a guy ask me from behind the counter looking out the window "Is that the truck?". Always wish you knew which you were getting when you get down there

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:20:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jeepinva:
Isn't it a PITA to try and deal with DMV to have it become street legal? I don't know how it is in PA, but I hope it isn't too bad dealing with them.

Does it say for "offroad use only"? Sometimes they can be real sticklers and sometimes you'll be good to go. It doesn't sound like you're too worried about it though and you may get through, but just be prepaired.

And depends on where you go to get it inspected too. Some of the pieces aren't 100% DOT according to the Inspector, lol.

BTW, I've got myself a DRZ-400S that has the 4X4 mod, jet kit, yosh pipe and some new avons that I'm going to have to end up selling because I'm leaving for Navy Boot.

It'll pull wheelies in 3rd now with just gas where it took practice and timing in 2nd. Very nice little bike you have there too, congrats.

You may want to check on insuring it too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:36:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hoppy:
Originally Posted By jeepinva:

You may want to check on insuring it too.

I've got a non-registered Land Rover (hasnt been registered in 20 years likely, and is getting resto'd for last 3) in another state and the DRZ-400E that still isnt road legal both insured as road vehicles without issue. Give them the VIN on the title - doubt getting insurance will be an issue. The cost - well DS are normally cheap.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:33:31 AM EDT
Got the bike last night and I love it. It has 424 miles on it and was owned by an older guy. It's basically brand new. It already has a taillight, headlight, and speedo/odo that came stock. Only possible problem is the headlight isn't high and low beam which is "required". I'm trying to find a flush turn signal kit. I'll call some places and see what they got. The electric start is amazing. I'm also going to call and see what they say I need to do to make of road legal.
Top Top