Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 6/6/2008 3:28:39 PM EDT
Hello, Have any of you made mechanical pop up targets? I am too cheap to buy a 200$+ target so I want to make one. I was thinking of using a piston to push the plate back up into the firing position. Any answers would be appreciated. Also any suggestions would be helpful too. Thanks

shogun7788
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:29:53 PM EDT
you could always tie a big ass rope to the target, a tree, and then pull it back up
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:31:47 PM EDT
I have always wondered about that myself.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:41:39 PM EDT
Yeah i've used a rope target but I am too lazy to walk 400 yds. to reset the dang thing... and it would use too much rope.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:42:35 PM EDT
subscribe for ideas.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:46:17 PM EDT
I thought about making a full size BG target the falls and the falling action makes a smaller BG pop up. Shouldn't be too hard.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:52:57 PM EDT
Tag.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:53:23 PM EDT
2x4 8ft
1 screen door hinge-spring loaded 5$ the kind you have to adjust
some thing like 2x1 or 2x3 1/4 ply  wood about 3ft.
some small eye hooks 1/4 to 3/8th  and some hooks to go with them ya know like a screen door use's

ok..so ya take the 2x4 and cut one elngth about 2-3 ft.... then two smaller  ones. nail them together. i put the smaller ones under the long one.
so now you have this H shape deal.

ok.. one end ya get that spring hindge and screw it down at one end.
this is when you tak ethat 3inch by 3ft  ply or what have you and attach it to the other end of the hindge.

now you tighten the hindge up alot.

now it should stay up. the 3 inch by 3ft deal is what you put your target on.
at the end of that 3ft peice put an eye ,screw it in. and put  the hook on the frame.
i put the rest of teh eye hooks down its length.

you need some rope ,550, wire.  when your ready to trip it  via shooter(trip wire) or by RO.......pull rope spring up target./

typos rule maybe ill do an MS paint later when im tanked!

oh from  fixed pos. you could use a radio controled solinoid or such
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:53:38 PM EDT
How about just using a spinner target? Easy to see if you hit it.

I use a piece of steel attached by rope to a hanger. Every time I hit it, it dances for me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:20:53 PM EDT
protus, thanks for the idea. i've always used either spinning targets or used bowling pins to shoot at. I would like a pop up target that can stand up to .223 up to 30-06. If any one has pictures of a commercially made pop up target I would like to see the mechanism that makes it work. Thanks for the ideas.
Top Top