Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2003 2:27:37 PM EDT
Anyone know of a good free download-able program to make MP3s out of my CD's ? I was using NERO Express, but it crapped out on me after 3 CDs and I've had no response from their tech support. Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Search for 'CD ripper' on Google or KaZaA. I have some really OLD ones that I found for free.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I still use Blade.  hit google.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
go to [url]r3mix.net[/url] and grab what they describe for your platform.  for unix-based systems, it's cdparanoia and lame.  for win32, it's exact audio copy and razorlame

if you want to know why, go to [url]r3mix.net[/url] and read the tests.  it's about as authoritative as you can possibly get on the topic.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Best setup I've found is to grab a copy of Exact Audio Copy (freeware) to rip the CD, then download a copy of LAME encoder to encode the MP3 (also freeware). Install lame first, then EAC. EAC will seek out the LAME install, set itself up for it, and you're good to go. Easy ripping, and can do very high quality.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been using EZ CD-DA Extractor with good results.

[url]http://www.poikosoft.com/easycdda.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://cdexos.sourceforge.net[/url]

live the dream of well supported open source.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Screw that, what about a program to make MP5s out of CDs. [;D]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
www.cnet.com

downloads

do a search on "freerip"

Straight forward, allows default rips to the audio format of your choice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Try this place. It has all kinds of tools for making CD's and converting files. Plus their FREE.

www.dbpoweramp.com

I used one their tools for ripping songs off of cassettes onto my harddrive. It was pretty good.

ED
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
A word of warning about Freerip.  My GF is a mod on a music site.  A lot of people complained about the quality of MP3's done with Freerip.  Given the fact that's what I was using at the time I did some comparisons with other software.

It would seem that Freerip MP3's reduce both the dynamic range and the overall level of the audio.  I tested against several packages and compared to the original source CD.  The results (by my ears) were pretty obvious.  The Freerip MP3's tended to be flat sounding and lower volume.  This occurred at all bitrates.

That's when I started using EZ CD-DA.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the heads up on freerip. I'll check out that other program.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a music nut so my rips have to be the best they can be.  And for that I use EXACT AUDIO COPY with the LAME encoder.

Here's a site with a description of how to set it up.  You will NOT be disappointed.

http://www.ping.be/satcp/tutorials.htm
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I just finished ripping all of my CD's this very day. It took about three days totaling about 14 hours to rip all 229 CD's. As a matter of fact as I type this I'm listening to "Blind Faith". I used Roxio's Easy CD/DVD Creator 6 as I needed this program to properlly burn DVD's (Sony DRU-500A). All together 229 CD's worked out to about 12.5GB. I know I have about 25-50 more CD's someplace if I could only find them...

Later,
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#14]
[url]http://www.download.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top