Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2021 11:12:36 PM EDT

This is part of a project I have been working on for a while and not really posting a lot about.  That was because Leo and I decided if I posted about where I got the wrought iron, folks would start pestering him to send them pieces.
Since Leo has decided to post that he is looking to give away various 'leftovers' from Tally Ho (including the floors) I think it is safe to go ahead and tell this story.
In 2020, Jess and I drove out to the west coast to visit some friends, and to see the country. One of the stops I intended was to visit Leo in Sequim.  I REALLY wanted to volunteer to help, at least for a day, but the truck failures ruined that.  We visited with Leo and the crew and I gave him a 'proof of concept' chisel and he gifted me one of the old floors.
I was betting those old floors were real wrought iron.  Not the stuff folks refer to as wrought iron, but the actual type of metal.  I was right.
Now, this stuff is ROTTEN.  The amount of grinding necessary to extract useful sizes of material is daunting.  And it REALLY wants to rust even after being cut/ground clean.  The only thing I have found that seems to stabilize it is, conveniently, heating it up to radiant temps and hammering on it.  After that, it wants to rust a lot less.  Much closer to 'normal' metals.
So many failed attempts later what we have here is a ball-pein hammerhead with the center portion made of the original wrought iron from Tally Ho and the end pieces are 1045 steel.  This needed a brine quench and the ends are about 55 RC.
The sections were forge-welded together.
I still need to final grind and polish the ball and the hammer face.

The welds.
Finishing this really makes me happy.
Back on the much more annoying chisel tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#2]
YouTube vids of the rebuild of the Tally Ho

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool.  

I remember seeing divers pull up old old anchors like that, laminated iron with defects that were exploited by corrosion.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2" thick bar of wrought iron of unknown origin and age. I turned down a piece and etched it in vinegar. Pretty cool but I have no idea what I'll use it for. Lol.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice work OP.  The Tally Ho Project is one I have followed for A very long time.  So glad you got to repurpose some of her.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Sitting on what they were.

One more surprise coming.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#7]
That's pretty awesome!  Tools made from the old parts of the boat to build the new parts.

I love it!
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#8]

A split cross from a small piece of 111 year old wrought iron
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Man.  Leaving for a week long mule deer camp 4:30 tomorrow morning and you send me down a 100 video rabbit hole.  

Very nice work OP.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man.  Leaving for a week long mule deer camp 4:30 tomorrow morning and you send me down a 100 video rabbit hole.  

Very nice work OP.
View Quote

Don't worry, John, nothing interesting happens for at least 2 years.  ;P
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Really cool.  I have been wanting to try some wrought iron in some inlays or bolsters.  Well done.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Really cool.  I have been wanting to try some wrought iron in some inlays or bolsters.  Well done.
View Quote

If you'll donate...I might send you some.

The story isn't over.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#13]
That’s a beautiful hammer!
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That’s a beautiful hammer!
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Teaser...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top