Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/25/2003 9:15:55 AM EDT
I'm new to this great site and am cofused about this high capacity mag balony.I recently obtained my Massachusetts Class A high cap permit to carry concealed for all lawfull purposes. I see new preban high capacity mags for sale in local gun shops that I can buy. They just cost too much money. I see some nice cheap ones on line. Every other site I visit will not ship to Massachusetts? I understand no one but LEO can buy new or used mags made after the passage of the crime bill in any state. Why does Massachusetts scare some people away from shipping used preban mags? Thanks to anyone for any info. Carmine D'Agostino MSgt. USMCR Fire Lieutenant, City of Newton, MA
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:44:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:01:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Camanooch: Why does Massachusetts scare some people away from shipping used preban mags? Thanks to anyone for any info.
View Quote
Probably because MA requires a license to possess them, and most people just don't want to mess with the liability. AFAIK there's no penalty on the seller in such a case, but it still spooks some people. Also, Boston has its own AWB - be careful where you take your AR, if you have one. JScott Milton, MA
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:28:19 PM EDT
Thank our wonderful AG for that. Technically there's nothing illegal about shipping hi-cap mags to MA... one just needs the proper LTC. Some dealers [b]might[/b] ship here if you send them a copy of your LTC. Then again, a lot won't because of the aforementioned legal hassles. Complicating things even more is that if the dealer is also an FFL holder, they must comply with the laws of the state they're shipping to. So, I really can't say I blame some dealers for not shipping here. Best advice, buy from individuals here on the EE boards. They're not bound by the Federal requirement, they know the MA 'ban' is foolish, and usually the prices are a lot cheaper than dealing with an online business. Next up... wait till you find out what good ol' Tom Reilly is doing about online ammo sales. [:(!] [url]http://goal.org/mailorder.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:18:56 AM EDT
LoginName has it down exactly. 1. FFL Dealers Legally, FFL dealers can't sell to MA residents unless the buyers have a LTC-A or B (depending on weapon). FFL dealers must follow state laws as a condition of having an FFL. Some dealers will ask for a copy of your LTC, while others just can't be bothered and won't sell to MA at all. Who would want to become knowledgable in the gun laws of 50 States? 2. Non FFL Dealers Some will sell, but many don't understand the law and can't be bothered. As above, can't really blame them. 3. Individuals MA law carries no weight on residents of other states, so the seller has no worries. Some just follow what they see others do and don't sell to CA, HI, NJ, NYC, MD, and MA. Others don't worry about it. There are a number of things you can do. As mentioned Equipment Exchange is a good source. Many of the sellers there are familiar with the MA law (some have been educated by other members) and will ask for a copy of your LTC, others, who are selling personal collections won't even bother. You can take a trip to NH, ME, or RI and get your mags, or better yet, visit the gunshows. You can sometimes run across decent deals. I hate to mention it as you have to be very careful, but EBAY is a source for decent deals if you take your time to review 'CLOSELY' the ads.
Top Top