Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2002 11:25:09 PM EDT
Greetings folks,

I made it safely to Camp Pendleton (Oceanside), California.  I did the 1650 mile drive from the house to here in just under 29 hours.  I would have made it sooner, but I was towing/hauling an additional 5000 lbs, and I was careful with the tow.  I also stopped for a short nap off I-70 in Utah, so that cut into the time.

I checked into the new unit last Wednesday, and was chomping at the bit to get to work.

I had the opportunity to go flying in the new craft last Thursday, and oh what a BLAST!!!!

For anyone that has missed it, I re-entered the navy after Sept.11 and I am now assigned to Assault Craft Unit 5 (ACU-5) and am a navigator on LCAC's (Landing Craft, Air Cushion).

Anyway, I went out for a flight on Thursday, and I can tell you that it is an experience that is nothing short of fascinating.  Having the 4 engines whine up and _lift_ this 300,000lb beast off the tarmac is unbelievable.  Then moving down the ramp and making the transition into the water is another unique experience.  The other new and unique thing was moving out across the water at 35+ knots.  Now, that may not seem like alot, but we were doing an exercise and were being _towed_ by another LCAC across the Pacific Ocean at better than 35+ knots.

On Tuesday, I had my first experience of night operation.  Hmm, very different.  There really was nothing to reference movement, so at times I didn't feel as if I was moving.  Looking down at the GPS display and reading 40+ knots is very unique.

All in all, I am sure that this will become just like any other job that I've had in the military (mundane), but until then, this will be a BLAST.

If anyone is interested, and hasn't seen it before, below is a link of a Quicktime video of an LCAC in flight.

http://www.persnet.navy.mil/pers409/lcac1.qt

Also, here is the link that tells all about the LCAC program.

http://www.persnet.navy.mil/pers409/lcac.htm

Regards,
Brad
OS1(AW)  USN
ACU-5 "Swift Intruders"

------------
Oh, yeah.  As per all the recommendations, I left all the evil toys behind and only brought the Browning HP.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to California! Pendleton has one of the nicest climates in the US - not too hot, not too humid, not too cold. Only an hour from San Diego or LA, 3 hours from the ski resorts.

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:05:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I love that sign on I-5:

"This is LCAC country, baby! No beach outta reach!"

Welcome back, shipmate.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to Californistan!  Other than the oppressive Caliban govenment things are pretty good here.

I've been on an LCAC fun ride once.  There's nothing quite like it.

If you have any questions about the San Diego area drop me an email.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the welcome folks...

As a side note, this is a return to California for me.  I left (and I thought permanently) in '91 when I was transferred to Hawaii, and then again in '94 when I was discharged and passing through.

Initially, I was trying for orders to a destroyer out of Everette, Wa.  But they had no billets for OS1's.

I ultimately chose LCACs because it has the potential to be as close to the point of the sword as I can get without actually joining the Corps.

Returning to the service, for the reasons that I did, has me wanting to be part of the action.  I don't want to be sitting offshore in a Tomahawk shooters box this time.

Regards....
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I lived in Oceanside for 3 years. It has to be the worst city I ever lived in for both quality of life and incidences of crime.

I strongly recommend you move to Calsbad, Fallbrook, or Temecula. The cost of living is about the same but it is much safer.

Ps..
Be sure to check out Oceanside Shooting Academy off Airport Rd. Best indoor range in southern california and probubly the world.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
At least, for the meantime that is, you won't be saying "haze gray underway" [;)]  When your tour with ACU-5 is done, you should check out SBU13 at NAB Coronado, keeps with the theme of being as close to the tip of the sword...
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I strongly recommend you move to Calsbad, Fallbrook, or Temecula. The cost of living is about the same but it is much safer.
View Quote

It really doesn't matter much.  I live on the MCB in Area 21.

Regards.....
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Carls[i]bad[/i] is...well....getting [i]bad[/i]. You might want to look into San Clemente also.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At least, for the meantime that is, you won't be saying "haze gray underway" [;)]
View Quote

Not immediately.  My earliest opportunity for deployment is in November.  Now, I'll still be 'Haze Gray and underway', but not as a watchstander.  [;)]

When your tour with ACU-5 is done, you should check out SBU13 at NAB Coronado, keeps with the theme of being as close to the tip of the sword...
View Quote

You know, I was really thinking about going to an SBU, but I am getting up there in age.  I mean, let's be honest, I was suppose to have retired last August.[:D]

Regards......
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome Stingerpup,if you want to get together w/a great group of guys for some shootin fun and you don't mind a little drive,check out the "meetings and events" forums under WebShooters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top