Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/14/2002 3:24:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/14/2002 6:35:12 AM EDT by bountyhunter]
I have a few friends whose company has gone belly up, there out of jobs and cannot find any good ones. We cannot understand why, so they are looking to train for different jobs, but guess what, a telecom guy thought he would get current on his old tool and die job and get back into it then finds that even this occupation is slow , products even though there is a three percent duty fee on them , are cheaper than being made in America. So I got interested in this and started looking at purchases, sweat mother of pearl, almost everything is made in China anymore. If for any reason they get ticked at the good old USA all they will have to do is cut off there exports and the US will be in for a hurt, it also made me understand why we were so diplomatic when our recon plane went down in China after there jet crashed it, we seem to walk on tip toes when it comes to China. This I feel is going to be a big issue in the future . Just an observation, any other thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 3:28:14 AM EDT
they say by the year 2055, everyone will have some Chinese in them. food or otherwise.[;)]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 3:41:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/14/2002 6:50:16 AM EDT by bountyhunter]
This almost insidious in nature, example- I wake up in the morning, I shower and shave(razor) made in China,I dress clothes MIC, I make coffee, coffee can MIC , grab a cup,MIC,make up some breakfast, pot and pans MIC, put on my shoes MIC, get in may American car 20-30 percent of the parts of which are MIC get to work, the door to the place is MIC, windows MIC,AC to the place, many parts MIC, chair I sit in MIC I could go on and on, but I see a pattern here
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 3:59:57 AM EDT
Two words: [b]Consumer Nation[/b]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 4:34:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 4:55:12 AM EDT
Look at the bright side. The Chinese wouldn't dare nuke us. They'd go broke. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:03:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By anothergene: The bad news is, if an american company wants to compete, that company uses that as an excuse to pay minimum wages and no benefits. The owner seldom takes a cut, then leaves with a fortune when the place goes belly up. [soapbox]
View Quote
Do not blame the Business owner, blame John Q. Public who is not willing to pay any extra for a product made in the USA.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:12:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/14/2002 6:06:49 AM EDT by fight4yourrights]
Originally Posted By bountyhunter: I have a few friends whose company has gone belly up, there out of jobs and can't find any decent ones. Them and me can't understand why,
View Quote
Poor public educations? Lack of attention to detail? Your post is riddled with grammatical errors. Some examples to illustrate; the correct statements would be [i]"they're out of jobs"[/i], not [i]"there out of jobs"[/i], and [i]"we can't understand"[/i], not [i]"them and me can't understand"[/i].
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:25:00 AM EDT
OK, woke up to the chime of my Palm IIIc (made in the US) this morning, climbed out of the bed (American made, ca. 1928), hopped in my socks (unknown origin), pants (German army surplus) and shoes (Dr Marten's, Made in England) and looked around some. Hmm, what a mess. There's Kel-Tec laying around (American made, American owned) a Polaroid Digicam (Taiwan, R.O.C) and I really should putting my empty beverage containers into the trash when I'm done with them: beerbottles from Germany, and a few more formerly containing Lone Star Beer. The cellphone (Nokia 3360, Made in the US, of European parts) tells me it's out of juice again. Later, no time now, must feed the dogs (German breed, American born) Hmmm, kibble of spotted owl and prairie dog, yumm, they'll like that. Looks good, too, what if I...? Yuck, guess it's too early for me to think straight. Like the other day, when I was cleaning my glasses (German-made Zeiss lenses, Italian alloy frame), I considered squirting some Windex into my eyes, too, just for better vision. Maybe a coffee first. Let's check the Thermos[r] (British invention, German patent, US made) for leftovers. Empty. Well, the jar with the Maxwell's crystals is right there. While the microwave (ancient General Electrics) heats up the water (seems to be taking forever) maybe a smoke? (Lucky Strike, lit with a BIC lighter with the words Made In USA stamped on the side). OK, all the necessary things are taken care of, now I can relax. Let's see what the guys at ar15.com have to say. Ah, the usual whine about how all things are made in China these days. Well, /turns over the keyboard/ that one is actually indeed made in China, but it came for free with the Asus (Taiwanese) motherboard and I see no reason to go and buy one, when it does what I need: usual 103 keys, plus a On/Off key for the computer, which, btw, I assembled myself from European, American and misc. Asian (except Chinese) parts. Oh well, one more cup of coffee, maybe a shower, and then it's off to the junkyard, to find spare parts for my car (German-designed, made in Westmoreland, Pennsylvania). You CAN avoid buying Chinese stuff, and if all trade ties with China would be severed right now, the only people suffering HERE would be dealers in useless trinkets and rubbish.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:37:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/14/2002 7:42:36 AM EDT by bountyhunter]
Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
Originally Posted By bountyhunter: I have a few friends whose company has gone belly up, there out of jobs and can't find any decent ones. Them and me can't understand why,
View Quote
Poor public educations? Lack of attention to detail? Your post is riddled with grammatical errors. Some examples to illustrate; the correct statements would be [i]"they're out of jobs"[/i], not [i]"there out of jobs"[/i], and [i]"we can't understand"[/i], not [i]"them and me can't understand"[/i].
View Quote
Whien your write your write, thunks four bringen thus to mine attettnion.I thenk I half made the nessasery carections to my furst post.Buut eye sees were you plays it safe and only use shurt centences.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:26:20 AM EDT
Hmm... Computer parts and high-tech electronics are mostly made in Taiwan and Korea (even if it's BUILT in the US (or Mexico, or Europe), most of the parts come from Taiwan and Korea), China makes more normal low-quality consumer products (Dollar-store junk, TVs, VCRs, toys, etc...), and Japan makes the better stuff (although no Japanese, Korean, or mainstream European company has made a car I'd be even remotely interested in...). So either way (whatever side we take), if a war starts over there, there will be economic disruptions...
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:06:22 AM EDT
Consumers are the most powerful means of changing things. As Kar98 put it "you CAN avoid buying Chinese stuff." Just look at the labels. THere is almost always a similar alternative, you just have to look for it or maybe pay a little more. I go out of my way to avoid buying Chinese stuff. I buy products made from around the world, but I avoid Chinese stuff because of their hostile government and their use of slave labor and political prisoners to make their stuff. Plus, I object to the idea of running over people with tanks because they are advocating democracy. If you don't like Chinese junk, spend a little more time when you shop to look at the label and decide whether this is something you just want or truly need.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:21:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bountyhunter: Whien your write your write, thunks four bringen thus to mine attettnion.I thenk I half made the nessasery carections to my furst post.Buut eye sees were you plays it safe and only use shurt centences.
View Quote
LoL. That's pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:35:27 AM EDT
Bountyhunter, you are just noticing now that nothing is made in America anymore ? Shit ROC has been making most of our machine parts since the 70's.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:40:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
Originally Posted By bountyhunter: Whien your write your write, thunks four bringen thus to mine attettnion.I thenk I half made the nessasery carections to my furst post.Buut eye sees were you plays it safe and only use shurt centences.
View Quote
LoL. That's pretty good.
View Quote
Thanks if I never made any mistakes , my wife would belive my baloney about me being perfect.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:44:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BoWilliams: Two words: [b]Consumer Nation[/b]
View Quote
Ditto. The world is our slave labor.
Top Top