Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2012 1:26:29 PM EDT
Driving through this shithole i feel like the FSB is spying on me. Heading south on I75....There was a camera looking at the interstate every 400-500 yds for quite a few miles.....not sure how many as i havnt left yet..fuel and food stop. Guess what greets me at the fuel pumps at Sams Club.....the most comprehensive surveillance system i have ever seen in a gas station....especially one that doesnt except cash as a form of payment.

is this town that violent? what is the purpose of all the cameras other than to give travellers a 1984 feeling....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never been there, but I thought the Allman Brothers were from Macon.

I always envisioned it as being full of peach orchards and slightly hairy hippy chicks with perky tits and free booze...
...guess I was wrong
Speed
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The cameras are all over I-75.  They're used for Georgia-Navigator.com.  Basically from Kennesaw on down, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The ones on I75 and I85 are placed about every 500 feet because that is about how often crashes happen during rush hour.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I always envisioned it as being full of peach orchards and slightly hairy hippy chicks with perky tits and free booze...

...guess I was wrong

Speed

Well if you find that place, let us know where it is K?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't stop, you will die.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...guess I was wrong
Speed

On the front of a tie dyed T shirt worn by a slightly hairy hippy chick at an Allman Brothers concert
Speed

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I was in Macon a year and a half ago. I didn't notice anything...but then I wasn't looking either.

I was only there for a day, and decided to go to the cemetery to see Duane and Barry's graves. Wow! One of the coolest cemeteries I've ever seen. I see why they went there to write songs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I lived in Macon for 21 years.

I liked it, met some great folks there. Sis & BIL still live there.  

There are areas that your wife or kids must avoid.

Lots of property crime.

CP

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Macon is one big ghetto.        It's a nice place to get shot or go to jail.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Macon is one big ghetto.        It's a nice place to get shot or go to jail.

I was there for a year and a half ('09-10).

I concur.

Are some good orchards around there, though...but good Lord it's a ghetto ass city...

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...guess I was wrong

Speed

I know where that place is, but I ain't tellin'

And Macon is a shithole now. Take 475 and avoid it completely.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Macon is the Mogadishu of GA

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought Macon Ga was the name of a Korean town.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#14]

There is a nice Bass Pro.

Thankfully right on the interstate.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I thought Macon Ga was the name of a Korean town.

Maconga is not a city in Africa, either. It is the new Mason-Dixon line. If you're from north of Maconga, you're a yankee.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#16]
It's Georgia.

Just get the fuck out as fast as you can and don't ask any questions.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Speed trap city through there....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's Georgia.

We agree. And take all the folks from MI and NJ with you!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#19]
One of these days we're gonna wake up in City 17.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

...guess I was wrong

Speed

macon is more like liberia than some soviet satellite nation.

the allman brothers were actually from stateboro, i believe though they were associated with macon.

the cameras are traffic cams

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...guess I was wrong

Speed

<snip>

the allman brothers were actually from stateboro, i believe though they were associated with macon.

Capricorn Records Offices, 535 Cotton Avenue, Macon, GA

Capricorn Studio, 536 Broadway, Macon, GA
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's Georgia.

Understood.....I unassed that place as fast as possible. Just got safely tucked in down in South Florida.

When I realized that there were so many cameras I started getting an Orwellian chill. After a quick mid afternoon meal at the Golden Corral, never been to one before, I can see why the all the cameras. Me and my cousin quickly and quietly ate and left.....we hadnt stopped for almost 7 hours, and we were looking forward to a nice break from the road. Seriously, I frequent Memphis so people generally dont put me off that much, i really think it had more to do with the insane amount of video recording equipment that seemed to be inescapable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#23]
to clarify...I was actually on the I 475 stretch that apparently bypasses the worst of that town???
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Macon was once a nice town back in 1776... Anyway Georgia is a good place to live you just got to know where to live Our gun laws are some of the best around as well...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

...guess I was wrong

Speed

No, that's Athens, GA.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#26]
hmmm, you mean you made it through the Sam's gas pumps without being harrassed for money?  go figure.  I avoid the city as much as possible, and I only live 10 mins out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:45:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's Georgia.

Understood.....I unassed that place as fast as possible. Just got safely tucked in down in South Florida.

When I realized that there were so many cameras I started getting an Orwellian chill. After a quick mid afternoon meal at the Golden Corral, never been to one before, I can see why the all the cameras. Me and my cousin quickly and quietly ate and left.....we hadnt stopped for almost 7 hours, and we were looking forward to a nice break from the road. Seriously, I frequent Memphis so people generally dont put me off that much, i really think it had more to do with the insane amount of video recording equipment that seemed to be inescapable.

The cameras allow the traffic people to keep track of breakdown and accidents. Little known fact that I-475 during rush hour is a training ground for NASCAR drivers. It takes no time at all for one unnattended wreck to turn into dozens. The cameras help keep reporting updated and contribute toward things moving as quickly as possible.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#28]
N Georgia is the place to be
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's Georgia.

Especially if you are wearing one of dem damn lizard t-shirts.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's Georgia.

Especially if you are wearing one of dem damn lizard t-shirts.

is this now a SEC rivalry thread?   my boys had the worst season of my entire life this year but we can start it up if need be.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top