Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2002 6:46:04 PM EDT
... Anyone have one yet?  I'm thinking about getting one for class.  Not doing away with my IBM P/C but you just can't beat Apple machines for graphics software like Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

... Your opinions sought
[img]http://a1424.g.akamai.net/7/1424/51/b926358f23e275/www.apple.com/imac/images/indextop01072002.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want a computer for graphics, just get the dual 1GHz G4!! But you would do fine with the iMac  too....
To use some graphics programs, you will be using OS9 alot.
Sometime in the next year, I will be getting my wife a new iMac, because we are giving her old one to her folks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The ONLY reason, after much hard thought, that I am going to get a G4 tower instead of a new iMac is because of the screen resolution. You can only select 800x600 and 1024x768. For graphics, those completely blow. Ever use Painter? Then most of your screen will be menus and palets. Photoshop 7 is shipping now, and I  intend to have a 21" monitor to use it with.

Otherwise, it is a GREAT machine. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The ONLY reason, after much hard thought, that I am going to get a G4 tower instead of a new iMac is because of the screen resolution. You can only select 800x600 and 1024x768. For graphics, those completely blow. Ever use Painter? Then most of your screen will be menus and palets. Photoshop 7 is shipping now, and I  intend to have a 21" monitor to use it with.

Otherwise, it is a GREAT machine. Good luck!
View Quote

... VERY good point! Thank you.  Sometimes there is gold to be found on this sight.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
To use some graphics programs, you will be using OS9 alot.
View Quote

Why? I now don't use OS 9 at all. All the major apps are out for OS X. Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, GoLIve and many others. Except for Quark but I left Quark for InDesign several years ago. Don't miss it at all. And OS X will not crash, ever. Period. (well, unless you have a few too many beta programs...)

I'm also running Virtual PC for those extremely rare occasions when I need Windows (and I mean extremely rare). Pretty funky to see Win98 full screen on my Mac. [:X*]

Go with the iMac unless you are serious graphics user. The iMac is plenty powerful for anything else. If you haven't seen one in person you have no idea how beautiful they are.

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
[b]Finally[/b] saw one at the local CompUsa store (idiots!) this weekend. Very nice indeed. Can't think of anything on the PC side that I'd rather have for the money.

That screen looks HUGE in comparison to my little iceBook, even though the resolution is the same. In my experience, 1024 X 768 seems entirely adequate for occasional Photoshop and Illustrator use. OTOH, if you're doing graphics for a living, you're probably gonna want the tower for other reasons, anyway.

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a computer consultant and specialize in Macs. Right now I have two clients who are ready to replace all their older machines with new iMacs (about 45 in all). The majority of these users are doing standard stuff (Word, Email, Accounting, etc.). Most of my graphics clients are going the tower route for the faster video cards, expandability and larger monitors. If you only plan on doing occasional Photoshop and Illustrator work the iMac should be just fine. Make sure you get at least 512 MB of RAM.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#7]

the new imac is definitely an impressive machine design wise. and with osx, it 's equally impressive software wise. i think you'll be quite pleased with the package if you do buy.

if portability is of any concern, the only other thing that came to mind that you might consider was one of the ibooks and an external monitor for heavy graphics use.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#8]
mac = waste of money
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the commercial with it dancing in the store window. [:D] [:D]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#10]
AlClenin = Idiot
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
mac = waste of money
View Quote

... Seems you're not understanding the difference between the fundementals of the two architectures.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#12]
the cinema display is great for the purposes you mentioned, I would get it just for the cinema display alone!!! BTW the dual 1GHz G4 machines are very good.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
the cinema display is great for the purposes you mentioned, I would get it just for the cinema display alone!!! BTW the dual 1GHz G4 machines are very good.
View Quote

Summary
• 1GHz - DP PowerPC G4
• 1.5GB SDRAM - 3 DIMMs
• 2x72GB Ultra160 SCSI - Dual card
• Apple SuperDrive
• NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium
• Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel)
• Apple Display (17" flat panel) + Dr. Bott DVIator
• Zip 250 Drive
• 56K internal modem
• AirPort Card
• Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English
• Mac OS - U.S. English
• APP for Power Mac (w/ or w/o display) - Enrollment Kit

All told:
Subtotal $11,143.00

Ouch.  But, dual G4 gigahertz.  Blazing speed.

Granted, I may have gone a bit overboard on the accessories, but when you're dreaming, you might as well dream big.

As a Visual Studio applications developer, though, I can't justify the purchase of a Mac just yet.  But if I could wish for one, yeah, the above would be it.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cinema display...sigh.
I've had laptops since 1994, every LCD panel I've ever had has faded in brightness and brilliance over time, it happens to CRTs too.  When you spend $2000 plus on a display it's not so easy to give it away or replace it when it's not as bright anymore (instead you get a yellowish look, just stand an older LCD next to a new panel and you'll see the difference at once).  LCDs can have stuck pixels that are impossible to fix, short of replacing the entire panel,  can't display 32bit bit depth, looks fuzzy when viewed below their native resolution due to anti-aliasing.
The only occasions when I'd recommend an LCD display are when the space is tight, or the client has health concerns due to EMT (debatable hazard) or when the client really wants one despite its shortcomings.
When I upgraded from a 19" CRT to something else, I had the choice of getting an 18" LCD or 21" CRT, I went with the 21" CRT, it's now doing 1600x1200.  Try doing that on an 17" or 18" LCD, you can't.
View Quote

obviously you have not seen the cinema display, its incredible, BTW it's optimal resolution is
1920*1200.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#16]
What can you do on a Mac that you cannot do on a PC for a lower price? (note: run mac os is not a good answer.)

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What can you do on a Mac that you cannot do on a PC for a lower price? (note: run mac os is not a good answer.)

View Quote

[img]http://LewisTechnoGroup.com/images/DP3.jpg[/img]

[url=http://www.motu.com]Mark Of The Unicorn[/url]

[url=http://www.bias-inc.com/]Bias, Inc.[/url]

Can't beat this on a PC! (among other things)

[url=http://www.apple.com/creative/musicaudio/]Educate  Yourself[/url]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, I'm being a dick. I've actually considered getting a G4 just to run mac os. I used to be a pretty zealous pc-bigot, but the new windows XP verification system has changed that. My next upgrade I'll be dumping wintel for either Mac or AMD/Linux.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, I'm being a dick. I've actually considered getting a G4 just to run mac os. I used to be a pretty zealous pc-bigot, but the new windows XP verification system has changed that. My next upgrade I'll be dumping wintel for either Mac or AMD/Linux.

View Quote

Good!!  I use both of the above.

There is not a single windows machine in my house as of yet... I really don't have a need for one honestly.

I plan to build another computer (linux) or get another Mac for my kids to use... I *may* consider dual booting Windows on the Linux box just so the kids can use some of the stuff out there (mainly games).. I don't know if I really need to do that but i'm considering it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#20]
The macs are damn expensive though. You can easily build a parts computer that will blow the doors off of the macs, and for less money. This is not an option for hardware hacking ignorant folks though.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top