Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2007 4:15:53 AM EDT
www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070227/NEWS05/702270351
Sheriffs department auctioning off their machine gun.
Lapeer Co. Sheriff's office to sell machine gun to the highest bidder
Department needs the money
February 27, 2007

BY STEVE NEAVLING

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

You, too, could be the proud owner of an automatic weapon -- courtesy of the Lapeer County Sheriff's Office.

Via its Web site, www.county.lapeer.org/sheriff, the department is auctioning off a fully automatic M16, dating to the mid-1970s and capable of firing about 700 rounds a minute. The only requirement is that bidders have a machine gun permit -- available to any adult who doesn't have a criminal record
Purchased by the department for $500 in the '70s, the weapon, which Lapeer's law enforcers thought might be needed in the event of an emergency like a hostage crisis, has never been fired outside of a shooting range. Undersheriff Robert Rapson said Monday he thinks it may be worth as much as $17,000 now.

So what's a county sheriff's department doing selling a fully automatic machine gun?

What else? Raising money.

Rapson said his office hasn't received a budget increase in six years and desperately needs funds for new guns and other equipment for its 82 deputies.

"We are a small county, and we need to take advantage of this," Rapson said. "We've had to cut to the bone for a long time."

On its Web site, the sheriff's office began taking bids two weeks ago; the deadline is May 1.

The Colt M16 A1 is described as "collector quality ... in excellent to new condition."

"This is the real deal from the Colt factory and marked as M16 with safe, semi and auto selector switch," the Web site reads.

Rapson said he's not worried about a potential safety threat because he's confident that the background check and permit process -- which anyone interested in the weapon must go through with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives -- will weed out potential bidders who might have criminal intentions.

But gun control advocates say it could end up in the wrong hands.

"Even the most reasonable gun owner doesn't want to see this kind of weapon in circulation," said Shikha Hamilton, president of the Michigan chapter of Million Mom March, a gun control group. "The fact that a law enforcement agency is selling a dangerous weapon is appalling."

A 1986 federal law banned the sale of new automatic weapons but allowed those already in circulation to be legally sold. A few states have passed laws outlawing the sale of all automatic guns, but Michigan is not among them.

There are more than 6,500 registered machine guns in Michigan, according to the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]

"Even the most reasonable gun owner doesn't want to see this kind of weapon in circulation," said Shikha Hamilton, president of the Michigan chapter of Million Mom March, a gun control group.

Must be Zumbo's sister.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:30:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:30:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the readers took exception to the crap from the anti's too.

HarryT

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps they could auction off some other goodies?
I'd love an M107 .50 cal sniper rifle myself  

This could be fun!!

tndet

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Million Mom March:

Show me where a crime has been committed with a machine gun since the NFA restrictions have gone into effect.

The process to go through to get a NFA weapon is unbelieveably stringent. Fingerprints, background investigation, and a sign-off by the chief law enforcement officer where you live.

The Million Moos say that even gun owners should be appalled that this weapon is in circulation. I am glad it will be. It's a shame to keep a piece of history sitting in a dark safe unused when it could be put to use in the hands of a responsible citizen.

I wish they would just come out and say it: "We don't want anyone to have any guns at any time. Period."

stevelaw

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject:  

The M16A1 was a poor weapon. It's only good as a historic curio, or as a club-type weapon. A Movie Prop rental group will probably buy this for its origninality. Other than movies, it is not an effective combat weapon, too many jams. I'm glad they are auctioning it and not scrapping it, for historic reasons. The Million Mom march needs to march off the Welfare rolls and stop watching Oprah.

johnyee1029

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject:  

Gee, 6,500 registered machine guns in Michigan, and no crime commited with a machine gun in at least 2 decades!!! Can the Million Moms explain that? I doubt it.

spartanfanray

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject:  

Would someone let me know when the bazooka goes on sale? I've always wanted to own a bazooka and you know, bazookas haven't killed anyone in Michigan since the 1940's.

TeamBubba

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: BS  

The article states that a machine gun permit is available to any adult w/o a criminal record. That MIGHT be true, but they forgot to add it's darn near IMPOSSIBLE to get one. And even then, the cost runs thousands of dollars for everything from fingerprinting to attorney's fees.

And don't forget there's a substantial federal transfer fee to who ever buys the thing.

I agree with stevelaw, this is a prime piece for a movie prop group. Most collectors are into things like Thompsons and wouldn't soil themselves with a 16.

Bob Wilson

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject:  

The M16's (aka Stoner rifle, named after the inventor) issued to Air Force personnel during the mid-60’s had a particular problem as pointed out by stevelaw: jamming. The 20-round ammo clips were only filled with 18 bullets as the rifle would jam every time on the 19th round. It worked as a grenade launcher, too, but had to be fired using only shells with dummy charges (for obvious reasons) and only when braced on the ground, not on one’s shoulder (for even more obvious reasons).

Viet Nam deployment training was conducted at Hamilton AFB, just north of San Francisco. The most important fact we learned there about the weapon was how to quickly disassemble it if we were shot down and capture was imminent: quickly remove a bullet from the clip, punch out the 3 pins holding the weapon together, then toss the sections in opposite directions as far as possible. No need to give Charlie a free gun to kill you with.

Still, it was a radical design and could even be fired braced against one’s chin, thanks to the huge spring in the stock that absorbed most of the recoil. We carried them in the aerial reconnaissance aircraft we flew but never had to use them.

matt-man

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: M16  

Looks like a nice gun. Might be a nice addition to my collection of fire-arms.

Homer

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject:  

Nice! Of course it's the version that kinda really sucked compared to the updated models, but still would be a nice collection piece. I have no doubt I could come up with a license to own it, but I simply don't want to go through the expense and trouble. But, this reminds me that I ought to go out and get my CCW permit this summer...

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:42:20 AM EDT
[#4]
too bad most people in michigan lack the fundage to buy it.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

"The M16A1 was a poor weapon. It's only good as a historic curio, or as a club-type weapon. A Movie Prop rental group will probably buy this for its origninality. Other than movies, it is not an effective combat weapon, too many jams. "

Nice! Of course it's the version that kinda really sucked compared to the updated models, but still would be a nice collection piece. I have no doubt I could come up with a license to own it, but I simply don't want to go through the expense and trouble. But, this reminds me that I ought to go out and get my CCW permit this summer...

NOTHING wrong with an A1.    The A1 rifles WERE the improved version with chromed chambers.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I hate the million mom march.  More like the million PMSing bitches who want to take away our rights.  Legal machine guns are not used to kill people.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:52:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:55:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Those replies were from readers of the articles, not from me. It would be nice to have the money for the gun, I'd be the hero of the club at the range if I walked in with one of those.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:56:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:01:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

"Even the most reasonable gun owner doesn't want to see this kind of weapon in circulation," said Shikha Hamilton, president of the Michigan chapter of Million Mom March, a gun control group. "The fact that a law enforcement agency is selling a dangerous weapon is appalling."

There are more than 6,500 registered machine guns in Michigan, according to the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

6,500 isn't anywhere near enough.  That is a travesty.    There should be 10x that number or more.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:02:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is a hot link to the Sheriffs dept. www.county.lapeer.org/sheriff/
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:12:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I have real concerns about this thing being out on the STREETS!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:14:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:18:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Machine gun permit?  Is that a Michigan thing?

Maybe...  Either that or he's just dumbing the process down for the masses.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:28:11 AM EDT
[#15]
The M16A1 was a poor weapon. It's only good as a historic curio, or as a club-type weapon. A Movie Prop rental group will probably buy this for its origninality. Other than movies, it is not an effective combat weapon, too many jams. I'm glad they are auctioning it and not scrapping it, for historic reasons. The Million Mom march needs to march off the Welfare rolls and stop watching Oprah.

________________________________________________________________________________

What's this guy's arfcom screen name ?

Jeebus, the level of bullshit in the paper's comments section are stunning.

The M16's (aka Stoner rifle, named after the inventor) issued to Air Force personnel during the mid-60’s had a particular problem as pointed out by stevelaw: jamming. The 20-round ammo clips were only filled with 18 bullets as the rifle would jam every time on the 19th round. It worked as a grenade launcher, too, but had to be fired using only shells with dummy charges (for obvious reasons) and only when braced on the ground, not on one’s shoulder (for even more obvious reasons).

Viet Nam deployment training was conducted at Hamilton AFB, just north of San Francisco. The most important fact we learned there about the weapon was how to quickly disassemble it if we were shot down and capture was imminent: quickly remove a bullet from the clip, punch out the 3 pins holding the weapon together, then toss the sections in opposite directions as far as possible. No need to give Charlie a free gun to kill you with.
Still, it was a radical design and could even be fired braced against one’s chin, thanks to the huge spring in the stock that absorbed most of the recoil. We carried them in the aerial reconnaissance aircraft we flew but never had to use them.
matt-man

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#16]
That is awesome, I wish I had the money to bid on it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:42:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No permit needed, i'd imagine they were referring to the form-4
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#18]
There sure are some dumbass comments in the comment section.

Clip?  Duh!  

"jams every time on the 19th round."  

And where's that THIRD pin that holds the upper and lower together?   I must be doing
something wrong because it only takes two pins to hold mine together.  

CJ
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe he wanted people to take the sear pin out too?

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn that's some powerful stupid in the comments section.

"Collectors don't want an M16."

"They were issued to AF personnel in the 60's and jammed on the 19th round."

"3 pins"

Bunch of ignorant fucktards who got their firearms knowledge from gunshow commandos.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:11:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe...  Either that or he's just dumbing the process down for the masses.

Tax stamp and paperwork=permit

Any more details than that and eyes get glassy and mouths drool (Title II enthusiasts excepted).

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:27:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Please guys... are you really suprised by the comments on the story... if you really want to melt your brain read the posts after any of the youtube firearms videos.hey
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top