Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 7:45:41 AM EDT
Having read parts of the Discourses and The Prince I don't see why he is so reviled. From I have read he is analytical and concerned for good government.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Having read parts of the Discourses and The Prince I don't see why he is so reviled. From I have read he is analytical and concerned for good government.

With regard to The Prince, his goal was to describe the processes that keep a prince in power and maintain an orderly principality.   While virtue was a fine, cruelty was also fine if it was required to maintian order.

Some people might take issue with using cruelty to maintain power while some make take less of an issue with using cruelty to maintain order.  

eta:  I agree, his main point was the maintenance of good government and he shouldn't be reviled.  I use the Prince in my Leadership class at a university.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I know.  People who revile Machivelli probably haven't read him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top