BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 7:30:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry Diablo 20% pepper spray. Have yet to use it, but im sure sooner or later I will.

I also carry the pepper spary the mail carriers use against dogs. Its much less potent, and I would rather use that on some of the smaller dogs I encounter.
I deliver papers, so I try to keep at least the Diablo at with me, have had some crazed drunks stumbling after me at 9pm, not a comforting sight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the idea of mace/pepper spray as a non lethal alternative. For years I carried one but the police took it away from me stating that it was illegal to carry in NY. I thought he was mistaken but I'm not certain about the law on this over here.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Can of MkIV in the truck, as well as with me to work everyday...course they pay me to take it to work...for the next 4 days anyway.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:02:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:25:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I am forced to use First Defense spray and have been for the last 12 years. Although it works, it is the least effective product I have seen. The catch is, it is water based, which is why my department issues it. No flaming, cigarette victims. (I guess we cant be trusted to make that decision?)

I have used it literally dozens of times on people and it is not what everybody thinks. But, given time, it will work. The key is to spray, and create distance, in CQD situations anyway.

I'll take a taser over spray.

On a side note, shall I be the first to predict the development of a longer range, multiple projectile tazer "rifle"?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:28:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Use First Defense here, (MK3 on the belt.)  Stuff  has given me no problems.  Walking beat must use gallons of the stuff, and I've never heard them complain.  (Come down to 6th street after closing time and there is a certain tang in the air)

As stated,  remember the training.  Spray, and MOVE. The sprayee will tend to rush the last spot he saw you.

As for freezing,  not a problem here. I'm more concerned over the can exploding in a hot car.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#9]
DefTec as always worked for me.  Best delivery sys on the market.  Might be a little weak but the intensity is the same.  Duration is what is affected 20min vs. 1hour.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow! Was looking up Freeze +P and came across this. Man loses eye to Freeze +P. Must be some bad ass stuff!

http://www.zarc.com/english/news/manlosteyeaerko.html
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Our agency issues BodyGuard OC spray to the road officers, and BodyGuard "stroam" to the detention officers. We have never had any problems with the spray working almost instantly. The stroam doesn't take effect quite as fast, since it has to melt into a liquid when it hits the suspect in order to get into his eyes.

The standard small (2 oz) size BodyGuard has two break tabs on the spray button which have to be broken when the officer tries to use the spray. And like most things, they don't always break like they are supposed to. We started special ordering the canisters with the flip-top valve, and that has worked much better.
BodyGuard uses a water-based propellant, so there is no fire danger, & our weather has never gotten cold enough to create a problem with the spray freezing.

As the agency instructor, I have tried several different brands of OC, and BodyGuard seems to take effect faster than anything we have tried. CapStun also works very well, but the older version still used alcohol in the solution, so it was potentially flammable. DefTec (First Defense) does not work as fast as the others, IMO.

You have a good point about the ASP key defender. They are very effective for a single opponent, as long as you are close enough to use it. Be careful to keep the unit clean, though...that tiny hole in the end is prone to stopping up with dirt, lint, etc when you carry it in your pocket. I would recommend checking the unit regularly (like when you check your firearm) to make sure the safety latch is clean & free, & that the hole is open.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#14]
i think anything more than pepper spray (like the tear gas stuff) is not allowed by or government owners here in wisconsin
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Mace has become a term like "Coke" or "Band Aide"  These are name brands that have become associated with the product.  Chemical mace, not pepper spray has shown some health consequenses, even the NYPD has switched to Pepper spray, as opposed to the chemical stuff.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I use CAPSTUN at work (issued) and it has always been effective. It does have trouble with not decontaminating very quickly, short range (cone pattern) and really bad overspray. You had better be familiar with its effects, because you will ALWAYS wind up getting hit by some of it.

I really like the DefTech products and would carry them instead if I could.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top