Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2014 5:28:45 PM EDT
I hadn't adjusted my chain in about 500 miles so I decided to check tension and lubricate it.

I adjusted the tension to 3/4" at the center of droop (spec for the bike). I also measured the two sides to verify the wheel was centered.

When i checked function on the stand it makes a strange noise. It sounds like it's loose in one spot but it happens randomly, not at the same spot in the chain every time.

Is this just a function of the fact that there's no load on the wheel or do I need a new chain/sprockets (they were replaced 1200 miles ago).

Video link
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I didnt watch the video,,but to property tighten a chain,,you put it on the stand and run the wheel around (with motor off), look for the tightest spot in the chain and then adjust from that point..The problem is with people that rag on their bikes, they dont realize that hard launches or RPM/Clutch drop wheelies will stretch the chain in select spots,,when adjusting, you just have to find the happy medium.

Looked at your video,,doesnt mean much,,there is no "load" on the bike, so the chain kinda does what it wants,,but it looks like you have "high" and "low" spots on your chain,,areas that are more stretched..like i said, you have to find a happy medium..When you get to a point there you have a super tight spot and then a really loose spot, time to change the chain AND sprockets.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I adjusted the chain properly (just the way you said).

I find it a bit hard to believe it needs a new chain and sprockets since I replaced them like 1200 miles ago but I suppose it could be true.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Sit on the bike and check tension/slack with your weight on it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#4]
At 1200 miles you don't need a new chain.

Also read your manual on recommended chain adjustment. I have had bike that were on the sidestep and bikes that were adjusted upright.

Remember, a little loose is better than too tight. Which is more important on longer suspension bikes. What do you ride?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also read your manual on recommended chain adjustment. I have had bike that were on the sidestep and bikes that were adjusted upright.

Remember, a little loose is better than too tight. Which is more important on longer suspension bikes. What do you ride?
View Quote

Adjustment is done on the swingarm stand.

3/4" of slack at the middle of droop.

It's an old Honda. 1998 CBR 600 F3
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have seen streetbike chains that needed to be replaced after 500 miles of riding because the owner of the bike didn't keep them adjusted properly, didn't keep them lubed properly or installed them on worn sprockets.

You chain looks like it has a loose spot.
It's not too bad.
Keep it lubed and adjusted and ride it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top