Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 8:34:10 PM EDT
2nd Amendment Activism_
Leads Student to MTV

By DAVID REYNOLDS
Daily News-Record

With furniture draped in ribbons and curtains drawn shut, Lennie Bowe’s Harrisonburg apartment is calm and serene. Plaid pillows give the place a cozy, private feel.

A slender young woman, with long hair, who passes out at the sight of needles and sniffles when the autumn leaves fall, Bowe lets her guard down in her new place.

And why not?

She’s packing a Kahr K9, 9mm semi-automatic pistol with 7 hollow point rounds stacked in the clip and one in the pipe.

Bowe is serious about self defense. Her outspoken views on women and guns caught attention from an unlikely place.

MTV’s series "True Life" has been filming the James Madison University transfer student in Harrisonburg this fall.

"Instead of passing right through, it will get lodged," she says delicately pressing afinger against the base of her throat. "Or it’ll just blow a big hole out the back."

Bullets that would maim or kill an attacker help ensure Bowe will never be a victim again.

Locked And Loaded

Bowe isn’t afraid to tell women to protect themselves.

But when asked to go on the show, which was filming an episode about young people and guns, she hesitated. "My first thought was MTV’s so liberal, they had to be anti-gun."

But MTV producers convinced her they’d show both sides.

"We’re trying to explain the issue through the eyes and voices of our young people," said Marshall Eisen, producer of the reality show that has run since 1998.

"Some are anti-gun and some are very much pro-gun, but all have a voice in our culture," Eisen said of the views expressed on True Life’s upcoming episode on guns.

Camera crews followed Bowe and three others around to show how different people, younger than 25, view guns.

A hunter, a prisoner, and a reformed gangster round out the disparate cast.

The episode will air sometime in January, Eisen said.

Camera crews captured Bowe in class, lounging on the quad, applying for a concealed weapons permit and revisiting old demons.

Never Again

Bowe shot her first .22-caliber rifle when she was 8, but at 17 her views on firearms changed from recreation to self-defense.

During her senior year, a convicted rapist attacked her in her home. Her shoulders buckle in and her knees curl to her chest as her mother, Jane Lucy, talks about thestalker.

"We no longer know where he is," Lucy says. "He’s dropped off the [sex offender] Web site."

The intruder grabbed Bowe from behind, smothering her face and muffling her cries for help.

He fled when her mother rushed into the room. Bowe’s face was covered with blood, from her braces scratching against his hand.

He was charged with assault, posted bail, and the torment continued.

"I sat in my house scared to death everyday," Bowe said.

For five months until trial, Lennie stayed home from school, and barricaded the door, petrified the man, who lived nearby, would return.

She and her mother hung out in diners all night. Other times they’d drove around afraid to go home.

"I missed my senior prom," Lennie said. "I missed graduation; I didn’t get to walk, my diploma was mailed to me."

Fighting Back

The man walked away with a 5-year suspended sentence. She and her mother moved away, but the trauma stayed with her.

"I didn’t expect it to happen in my own house," she said. "It takes your sense of security away."

A counselor told her to get rid of her gun. Instead, she went after an old hobby with renewed intensity, determined to never wait for police or anyone else to protect her.

She studied the politics of gun ownership and the mechanics of firearms.

"She learns exactly how to use the equipment," said Rob Collins, a friend. "She doesn’t just have a gun to brandish it around."

Bowe agrees her hobby serves a purpose. If an intruder comes into her home again, she says she won’t be reaching for the phone.

Eisen said, for Bowe, owning a gun is a valuable asset.

"That gun really can give her the emotional security she needs to get by on a day-to-day basis," he said.

Speaking Out

After arming herself, Bowe found activism gave her a way back to normalcy.

She joined the Second Amendment Sisters, a nationwide organization founded in response to the Million Mom March, which called for stricter gun control legislation.

The Second Amendment Sisters advocate self-defense as a basic human right. "Gun control is a false promise," according to its Web site.

Bowe is considering turning her talent for speaking out into a career as a lobbyist.

But while she encourages other young women to protect themselves, she considers carrying a gun a personal choice.

One no one should make if they’re not prepared to shoot first. That’s a decision Bowe made years ago.

"I’m never going to get attacked again," she said. "I would pull the trigger without blinking an eye."

-------

i found this on the high road forums, www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=107531
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Another reason why gun ownership is key to a free society....PEACE OF MIND!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I wanna see the spin MTV will put on this.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It will be interesting to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
God bless her.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it won't be pretty.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]
When's this coming on?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
2nd Amendment Activism_
Leads Student to MTV

She’s packing a Kahr K9, 9mm semi-automatic pistol with 7 hollow point rounds stacked in the clip and one in the pipe.

-------i found this on the high road forums, www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=107531

beat all of you to it
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, clip?  I don't let that crap bother me.  Much larger things in life to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Expect a bad spin on it and expect yourself to get pissed off when they do it, and they will.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#11]
i wouldn't want everyone to know i carry.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Are these episodes on yet?  Is she hot?  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

With a rape victim? They'd be shooting themselves in the foot with that, I think.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#14]
W went to see my cousin today, his roomate didnt want me to carry my gun in there (he knew becuase he rode with me and I had to take it off before since we were goin in no CCW place).  I made sure to tell them fuck you, fucking worthless no working, freeloading motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#16]
mtv will fuck it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like they did with music videos............ THEY DON'T SHOW THEM!!!!

Music TV my ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#17]
"An armed society is a civil society." Ain't nobody gonna fuck with anyone if there's the chance they might get shot over it. Even if they're armed. Therefore, everyone is polite, the evil are dealt with in an expedient and efficient manner, and life continues happily on. Ah, paradise. I know we won't ever need 'em, but I hope I can pack in heaven. Heck, imagine the goodies I'll get to play with there!

Girl sounds level-headed and intelligent. Fortunately, it doesn't sound like she was raped, only attacked with the intent to rape, according to the article. Still horrible, but an improvement. And why the f*** is a convicted rapist OFF the list?!?! The only reason that should happen is if a half inch of lead gives him a six foot pile of sod on top.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Why is such a gun enthusiast calling a magazine a "clip?"

I wonder how MTV will spin "I would pull the trigger without blinking an eye." probably something like "these trigger-happy, fearful asshats will shoot you if you cut them off in traffic!" or some crap like that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I wonder how MTV will spin "I would pull the trigger without blinking an eye." probably something like "these trigger-happy, fearful asshats will shoot you if you cut them off in traffic!" or some crap like that.

She didnt say clip, who wrote the atricle did.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Really, I could care less who knows I carry.  BUT, it is a good policy not to advertise that fact that you do carry whenever possible.  So, I agree.

MTV seems like it is ran by a couple of 12 year old's who think they are really smart.  As a result, they do a hell of a job making 16-21 yr olds think they actually have a smart POV....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
God bless her.

+1000000000
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone have a date when this will be showing?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Are these episodes on yet?  Is she hot?  

My God, haven't you people heard of something called Google?

ETA: this is actually one PETA story I like scroll to very bottom. I don't think our friend is a vegan, or even a PETA member, but when some "friends" tell you they were torturing animals, I think calling someone is the right thing to do. If for no other reason than to have them checked out as possible socio-paths. This does not include hunting of course, I'm sure most of us here are opposed to torturing domestic pets for fun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:29:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#25]
What is this "Google" you speak of?

Seriously, what does the PETA link have to do with this?  I'm not seeing it.

Nevermind, I see it's her, only she's 16.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:43:34 AM EDT
[#26]
That's a pretty low-cut blouse, I wish she'd move that damn pistol.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:08:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

This is a local woman's story. Pretty cool...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:22:10 AM EDT
[#28]
"A counselor told her to get rid of her gun."

Obviously an asshat in need of a different vocation... probably another one of those idiots that'd advise her not to resist...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
God bless her.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#30]
An example of the spin MTV will place:

With furniture draped in ribbons and curtains drawn shut, Lennie Bowe’s Harrisonburg apartment is calm and serene. Plaid pillows give the place a cozy, private feel.

A slender young woman, with long hair, who passes out at the sight of needles and sniffles when the autumn leaves fall, Bowe lets her guard down in her new place.

And why not?

A counselor told her to get rid of her gun. She said, "It takes your sense of security away."

Instead, she studied the politics of gun ownership and the mechanics of firearms. "She learns exactly how to use the equipment," said Rob Collins, a friend. Bowe agrees her hobby serves a purpose. Bullets that would maim or kill an attacker, "instead of passing right through, it will get lodged," she says delicately pressing afinger against the base of her throat. "Or it’ll just blow a big hole out the back." .

Eisen said, for Bowe, owning a gun "can give her the emotional security she needs to get by on a day-to-day basis."

"I would pull the trigger without blinking an eye."

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Now, for those of you carping about the woman who pulled a .38 on someone in a parking lot, place this young lady in the place of that woman.  

Would her reaction be unreasonable?

I think not.

Good for her, but I'm relatively certain that MTV will/did make her seem a bit unhinged.

Which reminds me of a quote from somewhere:

Of course you're paranoid.

The question is, are you paranoid enough?

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
God bless her.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Now, for those of you carping about the woman who pulled a .38 on someone in a parking lot, place this young lady in the place of that woman.  

I think not.

Good for her, but I'm relatively certain that MTV will/did make her seem a bit unhinged.

If our MTV girl here ever did do something as stupid as that parking lot lady, I sure hope the MTV cameras were not there to capture it, they wouldn't have to do much spinning to make the case against concealed carry.

The parking lot woman over-reacted, whether you give her slack - for whatever patronizing sympathy you offer her - the fact is she over-reacted and escalated the situtation.

She jumped way up the Use-of-Force continuum and violated basic self-defense legalities.

Cases like hers are just what the anti-gunners are looking for to argue against CCW.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#34]
In a way, it's sad that this is even newsworthy.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I think not.

if you think this young woman would be justified in doing what the woman in that other thread did your wrong. Neither one of them would be right to do what that woman did in that situation. that woman in the other thread broke the law.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I would consider myself a gun enthusiast, and I misuse the words often.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would consider myself a gun enthusiast, and I misuse the words often.

It's only gun-board people that go off on that.

I have never heard someone call it a clip and even given two shakes of a rats ass.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
What is this "Google" you speak of?

Seriously, what does the PETA link have to do with this?  I'm not seeing it.

Nevermind, I see it's her, only she's 16.  

That article about PETA was from 2000, five yrs ago, obviosly she has wised up since then.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Is she hot?  

EXACT QUESTION I WANTED TO KNOW
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is she hot?  

EXACT QUESTION I WANTED TO KNOW

Her picture is in the thread ^^
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I thought that was the peta girl lol my bad
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I thought that was the peta girl lol my bad

She's both.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#43]
I feel sorry for her, because MTV's going to spin the story to make her look like a trigger-happy lunatic.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#44]
If that poor woman ever got to confront that son of a bitch that did that to her... and I was a Judge, I'd do my best to get her off the hook.

It's a shame things like that happen, but it will never happen again to her. That's for damn sure.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I bet MTV will minimalize her part and throw in some ridicules gun nuts to make it seem like... sure there's a one-in-a-million case where someone maybe needs a gun... but if we say ... just get more cops, or shrinks, ... then we can fix those cases too.   See we told you so.  No one needs guns but cops and soldiers.  Oh and they should be under the UN.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#46]
What's wrong with being prepared? These things don't always happen to the 'other guy'...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it won't be pretty.

They will make her out to be a misguided fruitcake; at the very least, a victim of the white male Republican power structure who cut money for the justice system so that liberal judges have no choice but to let the scumbags back on the street....

Yeah, in the world of the liberals, it's always somebody else's fault, and government should take care of it, and it could do its job better if it just had MO' MONEY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top