Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 4:58:52 PM EDT
A first for me today...I ran across what appeared to be a CDN MRE and had to sample it. This particular offering was 'zesty turkey and vegetable stew'. Being CDN, all directions, descriptions etc were in both french and english.

The packing was most interesting...it looked like a paper bag but was lined w/ foil to keep it waterproof. Im not sure how well this works and someone else w/ more experience will have to comment. I think it was also not as compact as the US MRE and certainly wouldn't standup to rough treatment. The contents were:

1 pkg of turkey stew
1 pkg of pears
1 pkg of bread (not crackers)
2 pkgs of peanut butter
1 pkg of dry coconut pudding mix
1 pkg of cherry drink mix
1 pkg of Cappiccino mix
1 tea bag
1 Coffee Crisp (a thick wafer type cooky)
1 small roll of Life Savers
several pkgs of condiments (creamer, salt, pepper, hot sauce, etc)
1  individually wrapped toothpick
plastic MRE spoon and industrial strength napkin

Much to my disappointment the stew and pears were packed by Wormack in the US. Having sampled many US MREs there was nothing new here. The Coffee Crsip was pretty good though and I think that must be CDN. Really there were no surprises w/ this MRE as almost everything was easily edible and indentifiable. The only exception was the pudding. This is the first MRE component I've ever eaten that wasn't so good. In fact it was pretty nasty. We all know what pudding is supposed to be like. Once prepared this particular pudding had the consistency and appearance of snot w/ a faint flavor of coconut and small chucks of what I assume were supposed to be coconut....chunky snot? I did manage to get it down but just barely and so far it's staying down.

In summary this MRE contained nothing exotic or interesting and unless there have been radical changes not worth any extra cost. I think the US MREs are far better mainly b/c theres a chance you'll get cheese spread and there's no chance you'll get a pack of 'pudding'.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the review.Who the hell eats coconut pudding anyway?Vanilla or chocolate,but coconut?Good day,Ay!

+1 on the cheese spread.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Used to give my MREs away to people in rest stops.kids,folks broken down on the hyway,ect.....
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked the pork patty.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
No heaters?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#5]
F#@k those MREs! We used to go to WallyWorld and get stuff that came in CANs(ravioli,beans,corn,chili,ect.......)did the same thing! Filled the belly! and let us poop without the straining!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Coffee Crisp is a chocolate bar. Yummy.

Hint: You can split the bar into layers and eat that way if you like.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Coffee Crisp is a chocolate bar. Yummy.

Hint: You can split the bar into layers and eat that way if you like.

Used to throw that in the coffee to make it taste better!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Which meal had pudding?  Newest things Ive seen are Country Capt Chicken and strawberry shake mix in the bag.  I heard there are some new ones out but Im still eating 2001 or so manufactured MREs, we dont see new ones until the old ones have been choked down first.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Which meal had pudding?  Newest things Ive seen are Country Capt Chicken and strawberry shake mix in the bag.  I heard there are some new ones out but Im still eating 2001 or so manufactured MREs, we dont see new ones until the old ones have been choked down first.

He was eating a Canaidan MRE. Not U.S. The country captian chicken sucks ass BTW
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait till you have a bad one that smells like a dead dog,that'll cure you!(had one that was that chicken shit deal,it WAS bad,took us forever to get the smell outta the HEMITT!)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was eating a Canaidan MRE. Not U.S. The country captian chicken sucks ass BTW

Canada has a military that needs MREs?  +1 on Country Capt Chicken, it blows goat nuts.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No heaters?

Nope, I was surprised too. Perhaps they taste better cold (not a good sign).

yes, CDN seems to have MREs...in restrospect I can see why they pack alot of US made components. Why do all the R&D when its readily available next door.

I wonder what other countries do MRE type meals. Has anyone sampled them and willing to give a review? Im sure all or most of the developed countries do them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#13]
US Arctic MREs were goooooooooooooooood.

About a bazillion calories, but, good.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#14]
HEY!  I like Country Captain Chicken. Nothing wrong with it at all. It also comes with good stuff in the bag. I also liked the pork patties in the gen 1 MREs. You could break chunks off and use em like chew.

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I wonder what other countries do MRE type meals. Has anyone sampled them and willing to give a review? Im sure all or most of the developed countries do them.

I once had German MRE type meals. Not sure what I was eating. It was not particularly good, but not too bad either.

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

We're taking about the one in the white sack labelled 'meal, cold weather (or similar)? If so I had a breakfast and most of those calories were in sugar. I would imagine youd get a huge energy rush followed by a BIG low. The oatmeal was good though...even cold. I dont recall that much about the other components.

I still like cheese spread best of all...I wonder if They have ever considered a cheese spread meal.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I once had German MRE type meals. Not sure what I was eating. It was not particularly good, but not too bad either.

Aviator

Interesting...could you describe he bits and pieces a bit?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're taking about the one in the white sack labelled 'meal, cold weather (or similar)? If so I had a breakfast and most of those calories were in sugar. I would imagine youd get a huge energy rush followed by a BIG low. The oatmeal was good though...even cold. I dont recall that much about the other components.

I still like cheese spread best of all...I wonder if They have ever considered a cheese spread meal.

That's them!

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You can find CWR's and MCW's on Ebay regularly. Cost is between $60 and 100 shipped.

The CWR's and MCW's contain Mountain House Freeze Dried foods (they make everything from cans of steak for todays FOB chow halls to the FD'd lrrps rations of old) You can get that same Mountain House in pouches at you local camping/hikin store, or if you are patient, we do group buys in the Survival Forum where we get the stuff less than wholesale and drop shipped to our house. A case of Spaghetti (60 servings) is $54, and shipping is free over $500. There were 138 people in the most recent group buy and it totalled $70,000 for a grand total of over $100,000 for the three group buys since Don and Dijon started organizing them. The last was was probably so big because of NOLA/Katrina....
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Moist aren't bac but the mre version of meatloaf to me tastes and smells like dog food, not even premium dog food either.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#21]
those shakes are a frigging joke (the us ones). it's basically powdered milk with flavor bits, not a goddam thing like a milkshake! course, how could you package an actual milkshake??? d'oh!

you seen the new addition? the beverage bag??? god, what a joke!!! no one has canteens anymore (well, not issued) so no one carries, what? canteen cups!!! so the .mil had to come up with an alternative and a plastic bag was the best they could do...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#22]
The last US MRE I dug into had a drink bag (for hot drinks it said). My son said the MREs they had recently came w/ drink bags. They look fairly multipurpose so could be used to keep bits and pieces dry(ish). I think its a good idea if for nothin other than an extra bag for something other than the intended purpose.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#23]
The drink bags are great, like a ziplock with every meal.  Used them for a jillion things, nothing MRE related.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top