Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 2:11:25 AM EDT
BWAHAHAAH!!!!

Motion Picture Association of America admits to copying film without permission

The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) has been accused of breaking its own rules and making illegal copies of a film.

The claims, which came to light at the Sundance Film Festival, centre on a movie called This Film Is Not Yet Rated.

The film examines the role of the MPAA in deciding classifications for films containing scenes of sex and violence, and investigates whether it treats independent films unfairly.

Kirby Dick, the film's maker, submitted the film in November and said that the MPAA's lawyer admitted to copying the DVD. He has now filed a suit to recover all copies of the film and to determine who ordered the illegal actions.

Kori Bernards, the MPAA's vice president for corporate communications, told the Los Angeles Times: "We made a copy of Kirby's movie because it had implications for our employees."

Bernards also claimed that Dick spied on members of the MPAA's Classification and Rating Administration, including going through their dustbins and following them as they drove their children to school.

"We were concerned about the raters and their families," she said, adding that the MPAA's copy of This Film Is Not Yet Rated is "locked away" and is not being copied or distributed.

But this action appears to run against the official line on the organisation's website which states: "Piracy is a serious federal offence. There are several forms of piracy including internet piracy, DVD copying, illegal sales and theatrical camcording. All forms of piracy are illegal and carry serious legal consequences."
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:20:18 AM EDT
[#1]
link? why do people not post the link!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:21:36 AM EDT
[#2]
and the definiton of irony is...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:21:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Cause I posted everyting from the link. What source you want it from? Its all over the net.

Do a Google seach for "MPAA accused of DVD piracy"

And if that cant be done here, just for people who like links
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:25:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I think they should be sued out of existence.  Just because they are assholes, and need to get it up the ass without lube just like they have been doing to everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:41:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Can we bombard their inbox with DMCA warnings
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:00:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I have such a feeling of Schadenfreude.

Is it wrong to feel such joy at seeing them hoisted upon their own petard?  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Someone at MPAA must be held accountable.

Oh the irony indeed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cause I posted everyting from the link. What source you want it from? Its all over the net.

On the internet, if you can't verify the source, the credibility of a piece is open.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#10]
But, but, we MADE the Rules...........why do we have to follow them?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
But, but, we MADE the Rules...........why do we have to follow them?

www.sawdoctors.com/images/gallery/Copy%20of%20pearse%20behind%20bars%20R.jpg

typical liberalism...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it gives credibility to the story if you have a reputable source. I could make up a news story like many people do and just post it here and I'm sure half the people on here would believe it. If you're going to post a news story or some, post the link! It's not hard!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Oustanding.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I am sure the day crew can use a chuckle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I love it when assholes get caught stepping on their dicks...LMAO.

I hope this guy sues them back to the stone age.

SG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top