Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2007 4:36:39 PM EDT
I have no particular interest in any field.  I enjoy shooting, so a job that involves that would be good.

What I am wandering is what do you do day to day on post with your MOS.

I want to do something that is fun and exciting daily.

I was leaning towards combat engineer, but something airborne would be cool I think.

Can anyone shed some light on these two fields, or anything else close to these.

I am 37 and have a waiver for DWI, so some jobs are out for me, MP or linguist, which both sounded cool.

Thanks for any input

Travis
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
19Delta, Cav Scout.  If you want excitement that's where it is.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
19 Kilo, Armor
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Infantry - 11B. Then jump school. You can do infantry basic in Fort Benning and drive right up the road to Jump School.

+1 there is only one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have no particular interest in any field.  I enjoy shooting, so a job that involves that would be good.

I was leaning towards combat engineer, but something airborne would be cool I think.

Can anyone shed some light on these two fields, or anything else close to these.

I am 37 and have a waiver for DWI, so some jobs are out for me, MP or linguist, which both sounded cool.

Thanks for any input

Travis

Airborne is not a MOS

It is an ASI (additional skill indicator)

You can go to Airborne school from any MOS, and there are Airborne slots for many of them - INCLUDING 12B (Combat Engineer)...

Stay out of Aviation....

My preference is 19K (M1 Armor Crewman - the ultimate 'large caliber weapon') (I'll be re-classing next year after Iraq), but Armor doesn't jump out of airplanes, so if you want to do that...
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I have no preference, just a suggestion looking at your age--old man.

You might look at something that will give you a ride most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#6]
11-BRAVO.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]
92R parachute rigger, guaranteed Airborne school! and you get to jump several times a year.    Though most of the riggers I know are kinda slow....  but if you want airborne more than anything else....  Im trying to get to go to Air Borne this summer, went to Air Assault last summer had a good time... for the most part... my hands though do start to hurt whenever I see gravel now.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't wear your Air Assault wings to Jump school...unless things have changed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#9]
don't worry, I watched enough Air Borne guys get reamed for saying "Yes, Sargent Airborne!" accidentally to the Air Assault Sargent's!
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:46:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
19Delta, Cav Scout.  If you want excitement that's where it is.

+1 and you can still go airborne. Hope you enjoy walking. Regardless of what they tell you Armored Cav is armor on foot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Stay out of Aviation....

Care to elaborate? I'm considering reclassing and aviation has been one of my options...
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#12]
What branch are you trying to get into at the age of 37?
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#13]
71 Lima
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
71 Lima

It's a 42 Lima now , and a very noble MOS
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay out of Aviation....

Care to elaborate? I'm considering reclassing and aviation has been one of my options...

Yes, please tell us more..............
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any input

Travis

Airborne is not a MOS

You can go to Airborne school from any MOS, and there are Airborne slots for many of them - INCLUDING 12B (Combat Engineer)...

Stay out of Aviation....

My preference is 19K (M1 Armor Crewman - the ultimate 'large caliber weapon') (I'll be re-classing next year after Iraq), but Armor doesn't jump out of airplanes anymore, so if you want to do that...

Go airborne, all the way!
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#17]
The mistake I made was NOT going avation. What have you got against rotor heads?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay out of Aviation....

Yes, please tell us more..............
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#18]
11B   When I went through basic we had a guy that was around 37-40 going in for the first time.  He managed.

We are either working our ass off training, stuck on shit details( a lot of the time) or shamming like mad men.  Day to day its not that fun and exciting.  I doubt any mos really is, unless you are training or engaged somehow.  Garrison is not that crazy exciting.  

Combat engineers with us seem to get fucked in the ass.  They are always in here till stupid late o'clock and as far as I can tell they are not doing anything all that exciting.  Mostly waiting around the arms room looking angry. But thats just that particular company.

Don't be an MP.  Just don't.

Don't be a rigger.  You'll want to kill yourself after packing your 1000000000 parachute.  They sit in a room with long ass tables and pack parachutes all day long.  Yeah they get to jump, but you don't want to deal with that bullshit.  

I am not sure I would want to be a private at that age so more power to you.  I know a lot of the older privates get treated differently(we have a 25 yo E1), but still expect to get put on shit details.  You probably will get promoted faster and given responsibility due to your age though if you are squared away.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any input

Travis

Airborne is not a MOS

Stay out of Aviation....

My preference is 19K (M1 Armor Crewman - the ultimate 'large caliber weapon') (I'll be re-classing next year after Iraq), but Armor doesn't jump out of airplanes, so if you want to do that...

WTF do have against aviation?   Its one of the best branches of the Army for a guy who wants a job when he's not doing Army duty.  If you go Guard there are good paying Fed. Tech jobs and AGR jobs.

I'm 15U3F,  Chinook Flight Engineer.  I think its the best job in the Army.  They pay me to fly around, I get to go all over the place and shoot machine guns from the plane.  It takes a fair amount of time and ambition to get to flight engineer though.  Once you make it through helicopter school you go to maintenance and then work your way up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#20]
another +1 for aviation! The stuff  have done and places I have gone in the last  5 years since transitioning boggles my mind. I fly a lot though, thats what keeps me coming back. I scored a permanent tech job too! Great place to work and sweet bennies!
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#21]
11B or 19D.

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#22]
19Delta hands down. The best years of my life....
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Depends on your personality. Are you an A1 type? If so, I would def advise going into Combat Arms. If you don't, then you will regret it and feel inferior your career. Not bashing any other MOSs, people just have different interests.

I am 21B, and YES, you can go Airborne, anyone can actually, but when you enlist (AD), depending on your MOS (again, this is more with combat arms 11B, 21B, 19D, etc) you might be given an Airborne option. Just make sure you get it in your contract.

While I do enjoy being a Combat Engineer when we actually get to go out and do our job, I really regret not going 11B and am always trying to get into that MOS. Just my personal opinion. Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Id go with something that would transfer over to the civilian world personally.  Yeah its badass to jump out of planes or drive around in an M1, but those skills dont exactly translate over to the job market when you get out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#25]
If you go in as a combat engineer, you should be able to get an assignment with an airborne unit.  All engineers in the 82nd ABN, for example, jump.

Engineers also get to play with C4 a lot - which can be fun in its own right.

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#26]
height=8
Quoted:
19 Kilo, Armor

+1, Ride into battle
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Id go with something that would transfer over to the civilian world personally.  Yeah its badass to jump out of planes or drive around in an M1, but those skills dont exactly translate over to the job market when you get out.

Not worried about that, I am 37, This will be my carreer

Travis
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
19 Kilo, Armor

+1, Ride into battle

Aviation, ride into battle.........above the dust, not in it.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#29]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Not worried about that, I am 37, This will be my carreerThats the thing your 37. If I was you I would stay away from combat arms. You will be trying to keep pace with 18 year olds. When I went through basic in 1992 we had a 30 year old go through basic with us. Besides the fact that he was older than all but one of the drill sergents he had a hard time with all the running. I was a  m1a1 tanker when i was in. The guy with the desk job got paid exactly the same as i did. I might have some cooler stories but he can say he didnt do shit. Combat Arms may sound cool now but in 10-15 years when your 50+ years old do you really want to be still running your ass off every morning.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Travis

Thats the thing your 37. If I was you I would stay away from combat arms. You will be trying to keep pace with 18 year olds. When I went through basic in 1992 we had a 30 year old go through basic with us. Besides the fact that he was older than all but one of the drill sergents he had a hard time with all the running. I was a  m1a1 tanker when i was in. The guy with the desk job got paid exactly the same as i did. I might have some cooler stories but he can say he didnt do shit. Combat Arms may sound cool now but in 10-15 years when your 50+ years old do you really want to be still running your ass off every morning.

The whole Army does PT.  An infantry guy will ruck a whole lot more, but I don't quite see where you're going with the insinuation that the Army has jobs where people sit at a desk all day and don't do PT.  We have a word for those jobs - "civilian."

If a 30 year old couldn't handle the runs in basic training, it is because he let himself get out of shape.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#31]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Not worried about that, I am 37, This will be my carreerhats

he
If a 30 year old couldn't handle the runs in basic training, it is because he let himself get out of shape.

The whole army does do PT. But there are varying degrees of PT. I will guarantee to him that a combat arms unit does a whole lot more pt then if he was a truck driver, a cook, and all the other fat asses in the support brigades. People dont sit at desks all day? Then what is it called that all them REMFS do in s-1, s-2, s-3 etc. I had friends that did that and they will be the first to tell you they didnt do anything.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#32]
The attitude towards PT comes from the leadership of the unit, not from the mission of the unit. PT scores don’t vary based off MOS.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Travis

Thats the thing your 37. If I was you I would stay away from combat arms. You will be trying to keep pace with 18 year olds. When I went through basic in 1992 we had a 30 year old go through basic with us. Besides the fact that he was older than all but one of the drill sergents he had a hard time with all the running. I was a  m1a1 tanker when i was in. The guy with the desk job got paid exactly the same as i did. I might have some cooler stories but he can say he didnt do shit. Combat Arms may sound cool now but in 10-15 years when your 50+ years old do you really want to be still running your ass off every morning.

The whole Army does PT.  An infantry guy will ruck a whole lot more, but I don't quite see where you're going with the insinuation that the Army has jobs where people sit at a desk all day and don't do PT.  We have a world for those jobs - "civilian."

The whole army does do PT. But there are varying degrees of PT. I will guarantee to him that a combat arms unit does a whole lot more pt then if he was a truck driver, a cook, and all the other fat asses in the support brigades. People dont sit at desks all day? Then what is it called that all them REMFS do in s-1, s-2, s-3 etc. I had friends that did that and they will be the first to tell you they didnt do anything.

Even staff pukes have to take PT tests, go to the field, etc.  When at work, they are running back and forth delivering, picking up, chasing signatures, going to meetings, etc.

Even staff shops shut down for Sergeants time, and rarely is a junior staff puke exempt from the duty roster.

As just said above, the approach to PT is also not MOS-dependent.  I have never been in a unit where people didn't get up and PT in the morning.

You might get lucky and get a sham job at one duty station, especially at higher ecehlons, but I find it hard to believe your "luck" would last.

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#34]
height=8
Quoted:
The attitude towards PT comes from the leadership of the unit, not from the mission of the unit. PT scores don’t vary based off MOS.

I agree 100 percent with you. Your unit can raise the minumn score to pass the PT test over the Army 180 though. My whole point is that there is a whole lot easier ways to make a career out of the army than in combat arms. Once you are in combat arms it is a shortage MOS and you wont be able to tranfer out. I was told 19k was shortage but I could tranfer to 11b 11m 19d. I just wont the guy to know that once you get in your pretty much stuck barring an injury that stops you from performing your job.  I wish the guy well with his descion.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
As just said above, the approach to PT is also not MOS-dependent.  I have never been in a unit where people didn't get up and PT in the morning.

You might get lucky and get a sham job at one duty station, especially at higher ecehlons, but I find it hard to believe your "luck" would last.

Exactly.

I’ve been in the old Cobra Attack units where we did PT 3X a week. And I’ve been in Armored CAV units where we did PT 5X a week. And I’m sure there’s units that fall in-between. But, I’ve never seen a unit that did no PT.

When we did a Squadron run it was every man present....... from cook to cannon cocker.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#36]
The year I spent at Fort Bragg with the Flippers (the Chinook unit there) we did PT 5 times a week.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

I’ve been in the old Cobra Attack units where we did PT 3X a week. And I’ve been in Armored CAV units where we did PT 5X a week. And I’m sure there’s units that fall in-between. But, I’ve never seen a unit that did no PT.

When we did a Squadron run it was every man present....... from cook to cannon cocker.  

There are definitely units that don't do PT. Or rather, they give their people time off to do personal PT in the gym, etc. They usually can't pass a PT test, but somehow manage to stay in the army for years and years.

Say what you will, but the pencil whip is often mightier than the sword.

Not saying I agree with it at all (I was combat arms, FWIW), just saying that they do exist. These same people often take a sadistic pleasure in fucking with a regular working joe's paperwork, pay, chow, supplies, or other logistical/administrative lifeblood.

Basically what I'm saying is FUCK POGUES.

Oh, and don't be an MP. Whatever you do. That's twice it's been said. Trust us.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Oh, and don't be an MP. Whatever you do. That's twice it's been said. Trust us.

Make that three times.

Just say no to being an MP.
(Or just say no to the MPs).
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#39]
We had some kids volunteer to become MPs for a year tour in Germany.  I haven't heard how that deal turned out yet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#40]
well....13F has been good to me. as far as day to day excitement on post goes I've had my fair share of "really shitty days being a detail bitch for pog ass fat bastards". but on the other hand i also got to spend alot of time kicking in doors and tagging those same shit bags with paint balls or miles gear, and throwing them down and cuffing them up .
on a serious note it was really good training that has been paying off.
as far as other jobs go, the sapper guys I've worked with were cool and had lots of fun. might also look into EOD. if i was going to re class it would be one of those. worked with both and both seem to be on par with what i do now as far as being fulfilling and personally rewarding paths.

but i do love my job. even when it sucks.

forgot to mention i do run and ruck till i puke pretty regularly... ahead of or right with the younger guys, but it still hurts at times. gotta be sure that you really want to push yourself hard like that.  my peers are all younger ( i'm almost 33) and the next oldest is 25. when this older than dirt guy shows up they ofcourse had doubts. when i got out of AIT i HAD to prove i could keep up, they need to have complete faith in me being able to be there for them. now that we are over here, it all makes sense. it was alot of hurt but its worth it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Radar Repair, or Aviaonics (?) Repair.

Then get out after 4 years and make FAT bank working for Lockheed Martin, or Boeing.

Or EOD, that would be ULTRA badass, too bad my state has next to no positions.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
19 Kilo, Armor

+1, Ride into battle

The 'Aero Scout' MOS no longer exists, though...

So you watch the battle from the airfield & wait to fix what the pilots broke...

Some aviation units use their MOTOR POOL folks for door gunners, denying even the 'crew chief' MOSes flight time....
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#43]
96R  Pretty cool job when your deployed, or training.  If you get a shadow unit you can go airborne also.  Take a look, its gonna expand a lot very soon if it has not already.  That is if your open to other ideas other than combat arms.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
19 Kilo, Armor

+1, Ride into battle

So you watch the battle from the airfield & wait to fix what the pilots broke...

Some aviation units use their MOTOR POOL folks for door gunners, denying even the 'crew chief' MOSes flight time....

Yep, 67V no longer exists.......but there's still Blackhawk Crew Chiefs right?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#45]
If your enlisted Chinook FE is where its at, FE is required to fly.  Crew chiefs are nice but not required.  You don't have to do the hunchback routine either, I can stand up and walk around
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
19 Kilo, Armor

+1, Ride into battle

Yep, 67V no longer exists.......but there's still Blackhawk Crew Chiefs right?  

Yeah, but sometimes pilots find ways to fuck with 'em .

www.leenks.com/media1019.htm
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Travis

Are you prior service?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Travis

The whole Army does PT.  An infantry guy will ruck a whole lot more, but I don't quite see where you're going with the insinuation that the Army has jobs where people sit at a desk all day and don't do PT.  We have a word for those jobs - "civilian."

I seriously could be fooled by a lot of the crap I see that passes for PT around here.  When your slowest agr group passes by formations like they were going warp nine there is something wrong.  You never see 11Bs wandering around a track in groups talking.  Sham ass profiles don't fly in an infantry company.

It shows when we do Battalion or Brigade runs.  No combat arms guys are flopping around on the road saying they are dying from running at some slow ass pace.  It's freaking sad.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Some people seem determined to make it sound like I said something I did not say.

You forget where we’re at.    
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Travis

I seriously could be fooled by a lot of the crap I see that passes for PT around here.  When your slowest agr group passes by formations like they were going warp nine there is something wrong.  You never see 11Bs wandering around a track in groups talking.  Sham ass profiles don't fly in an infantry company.

It shows when we do Battalion or Brigade runs.  No combat arms guys are flopping around on the road saying they are dying from running at some slow ass pace.  It's freaking sad.  

Some people seem determined to make it sound like I said something I did not say.

Battalion run - in an infantry battalion?  Are you suggesting that the Infantry 1SG and Infantry CO at the HHC don't make their guys do PT?  Are they "pogues?"

I got news for you, when it comes to fat asses and broke dicks in HQ and in staffs, the MOS is irrelevent.

OF COURSE there are no non-hackers or broke people in a line company - they get moved to HHC!

No, I am saying in our battalion we have combat engineers, infantry, tankers and we have a support company.  So when we go on a battalion run or brigade run you get the whole mixed bag.  You run past guys flopping around weeping on the ground on these stupid slow runs.  I have no idea where these guys come from, but I do know one thing.   Our company does not contribute to the soldiers that litter the sidewalks and gutters during these runs.  I guess what I was shooting at is that I see people that can't hack the bare minimum and it's confusing.  It's like they don't do PT, which is what I was commenting on.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top