Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2003 7:42:19 AM EDT
UPDATED!  See below...

I am considering bringing a pre-ban and a post-ban upper to show how little difference there is.  Is this a bad idea?  Would it scare the crap out of someone?  Would that be worth it for the entertainment value?

How about a live 50 BMG round?

I'm definitely going to bring a sample Form 4473 and statistics about how few prosecutions there have been for making false statements on them.

UPDATE:  I love it when you guys egg me on!

I've printed up a 4473, dug up a USGI A2 upper, and pulled a post-ban ArmaLite A2 upper off one of my rifles.  I can't wait to see the looks on their faces as they try to comprehend the differences.  I will of course comment that the muzzle brake on the ArmaLite does a better job of hiding the flash than the NATO flash hider.  [:D]

I'm going to bring a detachable magazine, a stripper clip, and an en bloc (Garand) clip in case there's a discussion of terminology.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Go for it!  Let the light of truth blind them :)  Of course, you COULD bring some of your special "tea" to serve up before the meeting ;)

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#2]
You just made me spit coffee all over my monitor.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#3]
TAKE PICTURES!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Just run when they start passing out Kool-Aid
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Might I suggest that you do it, HOWEVER, pay attention to this: Act like you're one of them, and act serious about the differences. Show them how the bayonet lug makes the gun more deadly by allowing people to be stabbed by it. Show them how the flash hider differs from a brake because it can be used to shoot more accurately at night. See if you can get them to start playing the role of the "gun nut." Mind you, don't deceive, just show them what they're complaining about, and see what they say about it. Bring them in a case so as not to scare people.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Good points Johnphin, I do plan to bring all of my visual aids and documents in a case.  Under no circumstances will I say anything untruthful or try to provoke anyone.  I'm prepared for one or two hotheads to start screaming at me, or for the discussion to remain completely civil.

My biggest issue will be the low rate at which people who have lied on a 4473 and gotten caught by NICS actually get prosecuted.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am considering bringing a pre-ban and a post-ban upper to show how little difference there is.  Is this a bad idea?  Would it scare the crap out of someone?  Would that be worth it for the entertainment value?

How about a live 50 BMG round?

I'm definitely going to bring a sample Form 4473 and statistics about how few prosecutions there have been for making false statements on them.

UPDATE:  I love it when you guys egg me on!

I've printed up a 4473, dug up a USGI A2 upper, and pulled a post-ban ArmaLite A2 upper off one of my rifles.  I can't wait to see the looks on their faces as they try to comprehend the differences.  I will of course comment that the muzzle brake on the ArmaLite does a better job of hiding the flash than the NATO flash hider.  [:D]

I'm going to bring a detachable magazine, a stripper clip, and an en bloc (Garand) clip in case there's a discussion of terminology.
View Quote

you sir, are my hero! go kick some ass.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe you can offer them a trip to the range someday?

Shoot a few ARs?

CRC
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Good for you. A lot of those people have never even been close to a gun, magazine, clip, etc. That should put a crimp in their comfortzone. Maybe you can also take some empty 50cal cases, 308, 223 and some sample bullets.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, I'm taking:

- M1 Carbine magazine (15 rounds), illegal to transfer in Cali but legal in New Jersey, while the rifles it goes with are exactly the opposite [rolleyes]

- Garand clip

- .223 stripper clip

- 30-'06 case

- .223 case

- .50 BMG case
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes, I'm taking:

- M1 Carbine magazine (15 rounds), illegal to transfer in Cali but legal in New Jersey, while the rifles it goes with are exactly the opposite [rolleyes]

- Garand clip

- .223 stripper clip

- 30-'06 case

- .223 case

- .50 BMG case
View Quote

Got any unfired 50cal, 223, & 308 bullets, or just any unfired bullets, many of those million misinformed mom have never even seen one before, and that should scarce the piss out of them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think the point of this is to scare anyone. It's to make these people comfortable with the idea of firearms, and then tell them that it's their fault that they can't have any! [;D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The meeting went really well, MUCH better than I expected.  There were three "moms" who were all attractive, intelligent, and friendly but woefully lacking in knowledge about firearms and about laws, and they knew it.  I made it clear from the beginning that I was an RKBA supporter and my mission was to provide information and not propaganda.  My theme was that we need better enforcement of existing laws.  I made myself available as a contact.

They were all dumbfounded by the lack of enforcement of the perjury penalties on Form 4473.  I encouraged them to contact their federal representatives and ask THEM why so many known prohibited people are being given a pass.  I explained how the harder they push for gun control the more gun owners are affected and the more we fight back.

I explained the true meaning of the "gun show loophole" and the impact of the coming demise of the federal AW ban.  I ended up not flashing my AR uppers in the coffee shop, but I did show them fired cases and ammo feading devices.

I call it a success.  I was very well received and did about 75% of the talking.  We shared our personal experiences with firearms and discussed how our own attitudes developed.  This may be just a flash in the pan, but for about 90 minutes I felt like we had some real honest dialogue going.  If we can redirect the Moms' energy to the issue of better enforcement of existing law and getting NICS working as it was intended, they'll put less emphasis on gun bans.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#14]
DAMN Kid!  Very nice job!

[beer]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Agree, great job!! One suggestion though, next time, take a woman with you. Have her join the group before or after you, and leave well after you leave.

That way you will have some good intel on what the "real" reaction was after you left.

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Not to hijack your thread but only 3 PEOPLE showed up??

Anyway nice job in educating them!

CRC
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The meeting went really well, MUCH better than I expected.  There were three "moms" who were all attractive, intelligent, and friendly but woefully lacking in knowledge about firearms and about laws, and they knew it.  I made it clear from the beginning that I was an RKBA supporter and my mission was to provide information and not propaganda.  My theme was that we need better enforcement of existing laws.  I made myself available as a contact.

They were all dumbfounded by the lack of enforcement of the perjury penalties on Form 4473.  I encouraged them to contact their federal representatives and ask THEM why so many known prohibited people are being given a pass.  I explained how the harder they push for gun control the more gun owners are affected and the more we fight back.

I explained the true meaning of the "gun show loophole" and the impact of the coming demise of the federal AW ban.  I ended up not flashing my AR uppers in the coffee shop, but I did show them fired cases and ammo feading devices.

I call it a success.  I was very well received and did about 75% of the talking.  We shared our personal experiences with firearms and discussed how our own attitudes developed.  This may be just a flash in the pan, but for about 90 minutes I felt like we had some real honest dialogue going.  If we can redirect the Moms' energy to the issue of better enforcement of existing law and getting NICS working as it was intended, they'll put less emphasis on gun bans.
View Quote

Fan-fucking-tastic CK! [beer] [beer]

Guys like you are the most vital warriors in the RKBA right.

Beer again! [beer]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top