Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/25/2006 9:58:40 PM EDT
I find post about MIM parts frequently but it always revolve around 1911 pistol and their parts.
Are MIM parts used only in 1911 pistols? What about other pistols? Doesn't Sig, Glock, Beretta, etc. use MIM parts too? What about rifles? Are there MIM Ar parts?

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:16:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:21:29 PM EDT
Just about every manufacturer of production guns is using MIM these days. They have to to remain price competitive.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:33:54 PM EDT
the glock gernade doesn't use mim at all
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:35:47 PM EDT
IIRC, the locking block in the Walther P99 is MIM. I think Remington uses a lot of MIM parts too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:49:41 PM EDT
S&W revolvers have been using them for a while now for the hammer and triggers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:52:34 PM EDT
I recently bought some internals from CMC for my 1911.

I'm pretty sure their shit is MIM. It sure looked like it. I'm going Ed Brown next time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:15:40 AM EDT
Most, if not all of CMC's parts are MIM. Ed Brown, and alot of other big names have some MIM parts as well, Get a Brownell's catalog and read the part discriptions carefully, and look at the prices. Most machined parts will pricey, when you see the same part that is $10-20 lower than the machined part it's probably MIM, I'll give you an example I wanted to replace some MIM parts in my SA Milspec,I replaced the firing pin&stop, barrel bushing, MSH,(replacement here was a 60+ yr old one from a Rem-Rand pistol) and slide stop. I ordered a ED Brown slide stop catalog#087-810-100 in the Brownells catalog, it says it's made from extra hard tool steel. Sounds great, I order one, $28.95,(23.16 with my discount) Guess what? it's MIM!!!! It works very well, installs much easier than the stock one did, but I still feel I was lied to. One has to really be careful if you're trying to avoid MIM parts....
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:43:00 AM EDT
O had the dame problem with wilson.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:45:00 AM EDT
What are MIM parts?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:52:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 7:53:20 AM EDT by fc7mm]

Originally Posted By falaholic1:
What are MIM parts?

Metal injected molding, or somesuch. Cheaper way to manufacture parts, but arguably less strong.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=21736
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:57:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By falaholic1:
What are MIM parts?

Also see...

www.mimparts.com/
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:31:37 AM EDT
I've all of the threads on MIM in ARFCOM and on PISTOLSMITHS.COM. It is seems me that a MIMmed part can be almost a good a as a machined part. It is unclear to me at least who is at fault for the defective parts, ie the gun manufacturer for not specifying better quality or the OEM manufacturer. Remember each is trying to manufacture a part as cheaply as possible.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:50:11 AM EDT
That's true, CMC at one time used to supply Kimber, his parts are MIM, but they are high quality. The Brown slide stop isn't a bad piece either, I'd expect Brown to have higher QC than OEM parts. I just feel the part I bought was somewhat advertised in a misleading fashion. When Kimber began making their own MIM parts, they had and still have some problems, I would replace them if I were going to use the gun as a serious CCW. I really can't comment on SA's MIM parts, I would think they have had their fair share of problems as well, I don't know if SA makes their own or outsource's them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:58:18 AM EDT
Thanks for the info, Ralph.

In my recent experience, I ordered a CMC "easy fit" thumb safety, sear, disconnector, and hammer for my 1911. Let's just say they did not fit easily. The area of the sear which is blocked by the safety had some ugly nodes on it, where you can tell it was MIM, and those needed to be grinded and grinded until the safety could be enabled. Also, the sear surface that contacts the hammer hooks was uneven, which made the trigger pull incorrigible. It looked like it was worked on by a 5 year old with a file.

CMC has great customer service and they ship stuff out to you super fast, but they could benefit from quality control.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:41:56 AM EDT
FortyFiveAutomatic , it looks like the best you could do is go to C&S and order the Drop In Trigger Pull Set Not only do you get a great pull for not much outlay , but they are real parts .
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:12:08 PM EDT
Is MIM the same as investment casting?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:15:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kodiak-AK:
FortyFiveAutomatic , it looks like the best you could do is go to C&S and order the Drop In Trigger Pull Set Not only do you get a great pull for not much outlay , but they are real parts .

+1

Best upgrade I've done to any of my pistoles.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:23:20 PM EDT
C&S?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:32:18 PM EDT
Cylinder and Slide, right?

Thanks guys, I have heard they have some good parts, but I was reluctant to pay $100+ for the parts. I guess it's another lesson in "you get what you pay for"
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:13:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FortyFiveAutomatic:
Cylinder and Slide, right?

Thanks guys, I have heard they have some good parts, but I was reluctant to pay $100+ for the parts. I guess it's another lesson in "you get what you pay for"

Yes them . True story . My friend and I wanted to upgrade our pistols and I went to CDNN and looked up all of the parts that they had from CMC and priced it all out . That night I happened to pick up and old guns magazine sitting around and flipping through it . In there I saw the add for C&S so I came to Arfcom and asked about it . I got all positive reviews so I said screw it and ordered the kit instead of all of the parts from CDNN and CMC to make it happen .

Don't get me wrong , my buddy spent a little less than I did going CMC , but the difference in trigger pull is night and day .

Spend the cash it is worth every penny and probably more than you spend on it to be honest .
Top Top